Rooting/Sideloading Question

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I just exchanged my original Nook for the Tablet to get the $50 gift card promotion, and I have a few questions about rooting and/or sideloading.

I would love to have access to all of my apps on the Android and Amazon markets. Is there any way of knowing how many of the apps will work on the tab?

I saw a thread on here that talked about sideloading. Has everyone had success using the methods listed? Are there any drawbacks to using this method to get my apps on my Tab?

Or do I have to root with the method described on the xda forums to get access to the markets? Does rooting improve the chances of the apps running on the Nook Tab?

Anything else I should know?

Sorry for all of the noob questions. I'm pretty good with my phone, but Tabs are a new beast for me. Thanks in advance.

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I can run just about anything made for Froyo / Gingerbread on my rooted NT. I do have a few 'force close' issues, mainly when trying to change the dock buttons in Launcher Pro or ADW EX.

I had a problem with not having the menu and back buttons, but installing Button Savior from the market helps to (mostly) overcome this.

Rooting instructions from XDA:
[Update 12/10/11] Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Permanent root!] - xda-developers

Button Savior from the market:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smart.swkey&hl=en

Here's a video that explains some of the after-rooting things you can do with the NT. I got my NT two days ago, rooted it yesterday, and have only started messing with it.
Rooted NOOK Tablet tweaks - YouTube

Reactions: mightyfacundo

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I just exchanged my original Nook for the Tablet to get the $50 gift card promotion, and I have a few questions about rooting and/or sideloading.

I would love to have access to all of my apps on the Android and Amazon markets. Is there any way of knowing how many of the apps will work on the tab?

I saw a thread on here that talked about sideloading. Has everyone had success using the methods listed? Are there any drawbacks to using this method to get my apps on my Tab?

Or do I have to root with the method described on the xda forums to get access to the markets? Does rooting improve the chances of the apps running on the Nook Tab?

Anything else I should know?

Sorry for all of the noob questions. I'm pretty good with my phone, but Tabs are a new beast for me. Thanks in advance.

What is this 50 gift card? I bought 2 last week that's a 100 bucks for me

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I can run just about anything made for Froyo / Gingerbread on my rooted NT. I do have a few 'force close' issues, mainly when trying to change the dock buttons in Launcher Pro or ADW EX.

I had a problem with not having the menu and back buttons, but installing Button Savior from the market helps to (mostly) overcome this.

[Update 12/10/11] Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Permanent root!] - xda-developers

Here's a video that explains some of the after-rooting things you can do with the NT. I got my NT two days ago, rooted it yesterday, and have only started messing with it.

Thanks for all the good info. Since I asked this question, I looked online and found pretty clear cut directions on how to open up the tab to unknown sources which gave me the ability to download the Amazon market and some apps from GetJar. The problem is, I can't download ALL apps and none of my apps from the Android Market. Before I go ahead and root, I just need to know: does Netflix work after root? Thanks again.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What is this 50 gift card? I bought 2 last week that's a 100 bucks for me

If you exchange the original nook for the Color or Tablet, B&N will give you a $50 gift card. My wife bought me the Tablet for Christmas and when we saw the offer, we returned it, exchanged my old nook, and bought another Tab. I used it to get a case and I still have some money left over for a couple of books.

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
If you exchange the original nook for the Color or Tablet, B&N will give you a $50 gift card. My wife bought me the Tablet for Christmas and when we saw the offer, we returned it, exchanged my old nook, and bought another Tab. I used it to get a case and I still have some money left over for a couple of books.

oh ok.....

I didn't miss out on anything. This is my first tablet I don't even read books I got it for a cheaper ipad replacement

catlady5353

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Hi...I'm a newb on this likewise. I tried yesterday after reading this thread to follow through on a few things with my NT, and I keep getting stuck on the friggin' Hulu app screen...the one that shows the app " details." It's frozen. And I can't use that menu. I downloaded my apps2sd.apk. seen it then got stuck and can't back out.. probably need a few other apps directives to help. I did download but have to search for it...one of the airplane games. It loads and plays.

So, sometime in the next few weeks (in the new year), if you and a few others don't mind, I'll be writing back. I'll still be perusing the threads here and on the XDA Developer sites. Thanks for listening! Have a good one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planina91