Updated firmware but now when charging phone doesn't charge properly runs hot , percent goes down etc. What is the issue?

azndud3

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Updated firware but now when charging phone doesnt charge properly runs hot , percent goes down etc.

Hi all ,
I updated my firmware on my Galaxy S5 using ODIN.It was just from an older 4.4.2 to a newer 4.4.2 firmware. I only reset phone to default factory settings via the stock settings menu. I did not install CWM and delete dalvik cache before flash.
Anyways since i updated firmware when i charge my phone it goes very hot. Furthermore the batt indicator percentage takes a very long time to go up more %. If i plug the phone into a pc usb slot (where the current is much lower than a usb wall socket charge) the phones battery % actually decreases instead of charging.
If i put the phone in ultra power saving mode it charges properly and quickly. My phone doesnt eat much battery when in idle mode. Eats like 5% every 7 hours idle.But when i use it the battery drains quick.
I'm guessing it must be a service thats draining the batt when using
the phone.And when i flashed the phone not all the settings were wiped?Maybe a file config stayed back and is making the battery drain?
My question is how can i fix this issue?
How would i make sure my phone is totally reset so that there are no settings/files from previous install that could be eating my batt life?
Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading n help

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Updated firware but now when charging phone doesnt charge properly runs hot , percent goes down

Or you can go to Settings/General/Battery and see what's using most of your battery. (Use the phone until the battery drops to about 50% first, so the readings mean something.)

azndud3

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Updated firware but now when charging phone doesnt charge properly runs hot , percent goes down

Hi ,
Thanks for the replies. Yep i didnt go into recovery mode tthis time around to wipe it clean before the firmware update.
What options do you suggest I should select when i boot in recovery mode ? Also is it safe to clear davik cache without resetting the phone ?

Illl detail what i did that got me into this battery problem below

i had stock 4.4.2 (phone was on the 4.4 2 April 2014 firmware when purchased) few months later OTA updated to July 2014 and had Philz Touch recovery installed.
I booted up in recovery mode and cleared davik cache and selected all the other available options to wipe phone memory. I downgraded to 4.4.2 April and booted my phone. It seems to still be eating alot of battery (just like the batt problem happening now - despite having already cleared davik cache and phone memory before flash) so i flashed the rom again this time to 4.4.2 Nov 2014. When i booted it was slow and i realised i forgot to clear phone memory. So i went to settings factory restore. I did not go into recovery mode to clear davik cache.I then used odin to flash to 4.4.2 Nov 2014. And thats where i am up to now with the battery problems.

Rukbat - I checked the batt info and it shows that the screen is eating up the most battery 33% Android system 18% which is good.
My problem is that when i charge the phone the battery percentage goes down and drains.It also gets quite hot.
tried plugging in a diff battery and it still drains when charging.. It only charges in power saving mode.

I dont know how to fix this
Thanks for reading

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87