Is a screen protector necessary?

Vato805

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried an SGP and dont get me wrong i like it...BUT
for me the zagg works best and i love the orange peel effect which is not that noticeable from the side and not at all directly.and the added friction on my finger. plus i got alot less finger prints and smudging on the zagg than the SGP i usually throw my fone into my pocket with keys and other rough metal objects and i do quite a bit of running so naturally the screen gets scratched. not so with the zagg, i hate phone cases that add so much brick that add so much weight or change the shape of the fone because it becomes a brick. i have a TPU case on because of form factor.

Both great product but in my case the Zagg wins here, but for my ipad definitively the SGP which i use in a cleaner environment, and not so mobile as a cellphone

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried an SGP and dont get me wrong i like it...BUT
for me the zagg works best and i love the orange peel effect which is not that noticeable from the side and not at all directly.and the added friction on my finger. plus i got alot less finger prints and smudging on the zagg than the SGP i usually throw my fone into my pocket with keys and other rough metal objects and i do quite a bit of running so naturally the screen gets scratched. not so with the zagg, i hate phone cases that add so much brick that add so much weight or change the shape of the fone because it becomes a brick. i have a TPU case on because of form factor.

Both great product but in my case the Zagg wins here, but for my ipad definitively the SGP which i use in a cleaner environment, and not so mobile as a cellphone

Okay, two things. One, YOU LIKE THE ORANGE PEEL?!? I can honesty say I've never heard anyone say that. If you do, then the Zagg is definitely for you. Two, Steinheil also makes a wet application protector that is the same type of material as the Zagg without the thickness and orange peel. I can honestly say I've never had a problem with the Steinheil getting damaged. But, I give you credit, at least you tried other protectors and didn't just write them off over one had experience wwith one brand

Vato805

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, two things. One, YOU LIKE THE ORANGE PEEL?!? I can honesty say I've never heard anyone say that. If you do, then the Zagg is definitely for you. Two, Steinheil also makes a wet application protector that is the same type of material as the Zagg without the thickness and orange peel. I can honestly say I've never had a problem with the Steinheil getting damaged. But, I give you credit, at least you tried other protectors and didn't just write them off over one had experience wwith one brand
Yes i actually do like the orange peel it gives it more friction on my finger and i like that.

Yes i believe in trying out all the options and comparing, some products work for some situations or people, and some dont.

i LOVE both the Zagg and the SGP

I use my ipad alot for school and lounging around the house so my hands are clean and so forth. so i stick to the SGP

but my cellfone i use it everywhere be it for work, hobbies, running errands etc and cant always me making sure my hands are spotless and the Zagg is awesome with oil and prints

this atleast holds true for my situation remember everything is how YOU use it not the man next to you!

Orcares

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The SGP ones, even the oleophobic ones, are fingerprint and smudge magnets. Zagg is an orange peel. I've tried them both and hated them both. I had a Fascinate, a Charge, and a Bionic is on it's way, and I know for certain it will be naked like those before. I hate smudges and fingerprints and orange peels, and my gorilla glass phones so far have had no scratches whatsoever... So I have faith the next one will be no different.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a Droid X that went naked for the year I used it and I didn't have a single scratch on it. I had a D3 for two weeks naked before it had a "scratch." I say "scratch" because if you cleaned the screen, it disappeared. But once it got finger oils in it, it became noticeable. It was like the outer coating of the screen came off. I've got an iPhone now that obviously has a screen protector on it (SGP Ultra Crystal - they are the best IMHO). I've also got a Bionic that I think I'm converting to shortly, and I'll be picking up an SGP Ultra Crystal for it once SGP gets the proximity sensor issues ironed out.

gmanns

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Whatever you do, do not use the Skinomi TechSkin. It requires the use of a special solution to be sprayed onto the device and the back of the skin ( which is supplied in the kit). I applied the skin according to the directions, and now it is junk.

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you other than you are incredibly lucky, or making up stories. Gorilla Glass does scratch. Proven fact. I'm glad yours never has, but it happens. Easily preventable with a screen protector, and with some of the amazing ones out there, there's no reason not to have one

I had a Xoom with Gorilla Glass which I returned to VZW for a Tab... just before I boxed it up, I figured 'd test out the glass with my fear... keys in my pocket... not a mark on the glass. I even tried a wood screw from my tool bag.

I think the Bionic is safe without it. The only reason I had purchased a screen protector was for anti-glare, I found the glare to be annoying while riding the train

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I had a Xoom with Gorilla Glass which I returned to VZW for a Tab... just before I boxed it up, I figured 'd test out the glass with my fear... keys in my pocket... not a mark on the glass. I even tried a wood screw from my tool bag.

I think the Bionic is safe without it. The only reason I had purchased a screen protector was for anti-glare, I found the glare to be annoying while riding the train

I'm not quite sure how many times this needs to be said, but I'll say it again. Gorilla Glass is exceptionally hard. It can handle things like keys and knives and other metal. IT CAN BE SCRATCHED WITH SAND. Sand is just about everywhere, even common dirt. A dirty hand can have small sand particles on it that will scratch Gorilla Glass very, very easily. Again, these are well known facts that have been repeated numbers serous times for over a year now. Not sure why people can't understand.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite sure how many times this needs to be said, but I'll say it again. Gorilla Glass is exceptionally hard. It can handle things like keys and knives and other metal. IT CAN BE SCRATCHED WITH SAND. Sand is just about everywhere, even common dirt. A dirty hand can have small sand particles on it that will scratch Gorilla Glass very, very easily. Again, these are well known facts that have been repeated numbers serous times for over a year now. Not sure why people can't understand.

True sand just got my bionic all over. Sucks. Never had a issue with d1.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

shieldsdb

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hell yeah it is! I was using a screen protector from my wife's Thunderbolt, because I'm cheap. It started collecting dirt around the edges so I took it off. The next day, dropped it in my pocket and the chain on my dog tags scratched it. Two parallel lines about half way up the go half way across the screen.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope. The screens now days are not designed to require a screen protector or they would come with the phone. I know some people will argue that u should. I've not had one scratch on mine since owning a phone with gorilla glass.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope. The screens now days are not designed to require a screen protector or they would come with the phone. I know some people will argue that u should. I've not had one scratch on mine since owning a phone with gorilla glass.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Lmao!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

vegasvampire666

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
If you want a thin phone over anything, carry your phone without a case or any kind of screen protector. Me? I suck with phones. I drop 'em all the time. I do maintenance work and my phone would get filthy. I got an otterbox defender out of fear and/or necessity when I got my bionic. All my joy of having a skinny phone went out the window when I installed this monstrous case! My phone literally double in thickness! And dont get me started on the belt clip! When I wear my phone with the screen out, it looks like I'm carrying a flat screen t.v. on my hip! I tried putting it in my pocket, but the grippy rubber case makes it stick to the pocket material, sometimes peeling part of the case off. I've given up now I just carry the phone in the belt clip(screen in).
....8 months later. My phone looks and works great! The otterbox is awesome! I actually got used to the big rubber box. The rubber makes it easier to hold. I take the case off regularly, and the phone looks brand new. I carry the phone sans case every now and then, but it always feels too thin and fragile. All in all, I'll keep my bionic in the otterbox.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

CobbFC09

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Looking back on this, I'm glad I decided not to get one. Screen is doing just fine without one. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38