I'm Happy With My Dell Venue 8 7840

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If I were on the fence about purchasing the Dell Venue 8 7840 tablet the posts in this forum would convince me to take the plunge. Usually posts in a forum like this would be from folks who are having problems or who are unhappy with their purchase. I think it's human nature to be inclined to complain rather than praise, but most of the posts in this forum are from experienced tablet users who seem to be like the Dell Venue 8.

Actually, I'm not on the fence -- I purchased the Dell Venue 8 a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a newcomer to Android phones and tablets. I've had several Android phones (my current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4) and a variety of Android tablets, including the Motorola XOOM, a couple of ASUS Transformers, several Samsung tablets (including the Tab S 8.4 which I liked but returned due to overheating problems), the original Nexus 7, and a 2013 Nexus 7 which I rooted and ran CM11, then returned to stock to get the Lollipop update. After two weeks of owning the Dell Venue 8 7840 I think it's the best tablet I've owned. I can't comment on the camera because I use the camera on my Note 4. For me a tablet is primarily a media consumption device. I browse the Web, read books, news and magazines, listen to music, view videos, etc. I'm an older guy with impaired vision and hearing and the Venue 8 is great for me; I can read the screen and I can hear the sound without using hearing aids or headphones. Battery life seems good and it charges quickly. Internal storage is not a problem. I have installed a lot of apps and have almost 6GB of internal storage remaining. This is my first Intel-based Android tablet and I expect some glitches, although most of my apps have run without problems. The YouTube app needs to be updated to provide a resolution greater than 720p, and I'm sure the engineers at Dell and Intel are working to get Android Lollipop ready for the Venue 8.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that info! Have you run into any apps that are incompatible? That was one minor thing I read about a few times here.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I read that Microsoft apps are not compatible. The only MS app I am using is OneNote and it runs fine. As I mentioned previously, the YouTube app runs but it needs to be updated. Other than that I haven't had any problems.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
If I were on the fence about purchasing the Dell Venue 8 7840 tablet the posts in this forum would convince me to take the plunge. Usually posts in a forum like this would be from folks who are having problems or who are unhappy with their purchase. I think it's human nature to be inclined to complain rather than praise, but most of the posts in this forum are from experienced tablet users who seem to be like the Dell Venue 8.

Actually, I'm not on the fence -- I purchased the Dell Venue 8 a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a newcomer to Android phones and tablets. I've had several Android phones (my current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4) and a variety of Android tablets, including the Motorola XOOM, a couple of ASUS Transformers, several Samsung tablets (including the Tab S 8.4 which I liked but returned due to overheating problems), the original Nexus 7, and a 2013 Nexus 7 which I rooted and ran CM11, then returned to stock to get the Lollipop update. After two weeks of owning the Dell Venue 8 7840 I think it's the best tablet I've owned. I can't comment on the camera because I use the camera on my Note 4. For me a tablet is primarily a media consumption device. I browse the Web, read books, news and magazines, listen to music, view videos, etc. I'm an older guy with impaired vision and hearing and the Venue 8 is great for me; I can read the screen and I can hear the sound without using hearing aids or headphones. Battery life seems good and it charges quickly. Internal storage is not a problem. I have installed a lot of apps and have almost 6GB of internal storage remaining. This is my first Intel-based Android tablet and I expect some glitches, although most of the my apps have run without problems. The YouTube app needs to be updated to provide a resolution greater than 720p, and I'm sure the engineers at Dell and Intel are working to get Android Lollipop ready for the Venue 8.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase.

Nice write up Willy. I've gone through a half dozen Nexus 9's in the last month and a half from either BB or Amazon with awful light bleed and shoddy build quality. During that time, I picked up the Shield tablet (wifi was iffy at best, battery life not very good, screen meh) and went back to the 2013 Nexus 7 a couple of times. Had the Venue not come out , I would have likely kept the 7 as the build quality was better than the 9 and Shield while Lollipop ran just as well imo.

I picked up the Venue 7000 yesterday on sale at BB while my Nexus 9 is on it's way back to Amazon. The screen is real nice and the build quality blows the Nexus 9 out of the water. Honestly, HTC should be ashamed to turn out that tablet especially with what they've done in the past with their phones (M7, M8). Hell my old plastic HTC Flyer had superior build quality to the 9. I'll have to see how the battery fairs with the Venue but I'm not concerned based on what I've read. I am not a huge gamer but have run Modern Combat 5 without any issues. My only gripe is YouTube running @ 720p.

The Venue will feel like a brand new tablet much like my 2013 Nexus 7 did when Lollipop hits.

Laualie

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I was in the same boat - using an older 7 inch that was starting to lag, but nothing on the market seem to fit the bill for a solid android tablet. Everything either had low-end specs, cheap hardware or tons of bloatware, or all three! I had no idea that Dell was even in the running until a buddy sent me a review that mentioned the 7840. Homerun! Plenty of folks have expounded on the qualities - a screen that is damn near joyfully perfect with snappy specs, a build that feels like a German engineered machine, and only a smattering of OEM apps.

Can't wait for lols!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress