Blackberry to Bionic: Outlook question

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Cory-

No- my concern is really only with giving Google a copy of my contacts list. I have many high level contacts extending into the US Government (I work as a consultant to the Nuclear Industry) and am not supposed to use any cloud service for syncing contacts as it could potentially lead to a security threat were the info to get into the wrong hands. Sure- I could lose my phone, but at least I could remotely wipe it. Once Google has my contacts, it's theirs to use however they want.

My crappy Storm 1 can sync perfectly with Outlook via USB. Why can't the most advanced Android phone on the market?

WALLIEDIRT

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Storm to Bioniic person also. Wow what a difference and the lapdock Oh just well badass!! The only issue I had (because I was new to Android) was getting my emails set up. I need to get my emails as fast as I did on the BB. It was a must and I ALMOST had to return the Bionic and go back to BB because of this.

For business I HIGHLY recommend the Gmail business also. 50 bucks a year is nothing for what this service can do. Sadly I think I have left BB for good... It was a sad day for me, but only a day ;)

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I saw that- and it may do what you need it to do, but for ME my issue is sharing my info with a server or cloud service. I need to keep the sync confined to my home and office computer. I can't give the data to Hotmail or Google so that they can send it back to me, due to security concerns.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I also have migrated from an original Storm to a Bionic. I wanted to sync my Outlook to my Bionic both ways, but without using Google. I have found DejaOffice and CompanionLink to to exactly what I want. I sync my calendar and contacts, my custom ringtones and caller ID all work, I have excluded Gmail and Facebook from my contacts and calendar, and all my Outlook mail syncs through the account settings. Synching, after the first one, is much faster than the Blackberry application. Give it a try. They have a 14 day evaluation period, and they're offering all of us $10 off (unfortunately, only until tomorrow).

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You are just the man I want to talk to. You understand exactly what I want to do and where I'm coming from device-wise.

I read a lot of negative comments about the inconsistent functionality of third-party Outlook sync programs and CompanionLink seemed to get so-so reviews like the others. One of the questions that I had was does the fact that you are not syncing through Gmail affect the functionality of the phone? That is to say- can you still use voice commands that the phone offers and do appointment alarms / alerts work as they should given that you are not using the stock Android calendar?

I have also read that after a number of syncs that users have reported ending up with duplicate contacts duplicate appointments and missing alerts. Would you mind giving me an update after you have been using CompanionLink for a while and let me know if you have any such problems?

I really appreciate you chiming in on this discussion. It must be nice not to have to use that Storm any longer. I have decided that if I get an Android device that I will wait for the Droid Prime and if I do not like it for some reason I will be able to fall back to the Bionic or maybe the iPhone (but if it does not have 4G I will not consider it).

Thanks again

TONY:)

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I also recently made the switch from BB to my Bionic. Until just this week I was still using Outlook and Gmail separately. I took the plunge and now am using Gmail exclusively and although it took me a little reading and tweaking to get everything setup I have to say that it works great.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You are just the man I want to talk to. You understand exactly what I want to do and where I'm coming from device-wise.

I read a lot of negative comments about the inconsistent functionality of third-party Outlook sync programs and CompanionLink seemed to get so-so reviews like the others. One of the questions that I had was does the fact that you are not syncing through Gmail affect the functionality of the phone? That is to say- can you still use voice commands that the phone offers and do appointment alarms / alerts work as they should given that you are not using the stock Android calendar?

I have also read that after a number of syncs that users have reported ending up with duplicate contacts duplicate appointments and missing alerts. Would you mind giving me an update after you have been using CompanionLink for a while and let me know if you have any such problems?

I really appreciate you chiming in on this discussion. It must be nice not to have to use that Storm any longer. I have decided that if I get an Android device that I will wait for the Droid Prime and if I do not like it for some reason I will be able to fall back to the Bionic or maybe the iPhone (but if it does not have 4G I will not consider it).

Thanks again

TONY:)

What happens is that DejaOffice synchs the native Android Calendar and Contacts, so you do not loose any of that functionality. However, I never touch the native apps. I set my alarms in Outlook and DejaCalendar notifies me. I set my custom ringtones in DejaContacts, and when that particular contact calls me, I get their specific ringtone. I get all the caller IDs of all my contacts. exactly in the same way I am used to from the Storm. I cannot answer if there are better calendars and contacts available in Android, but I do know that DejaOffice is more customizable from the phone than Blackberry is. Ask me again in a couple of weeks. -- Roy

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Cafutter-

If you searched these forums (and others) you undoubtedly ran across some of my posts asking questions identical to yours. Like you- I am a non-enterprise business user "stuck in my ways" with Outlook. There may be better solutions, but my business is set up using Outlook, and my coworkers use it (to send meeting announcements, notes, contacts etc) so I'd rather not switch.

I am very unhappily still using this awful Blackberry Storm 1, and while the device sucks in almost every way- it shines in the way it makes and receives phone calls, and handles email and syncs with Outlook. To complicate the issue a bit- I work with sensitive materials, and have info and contacts on my Outlook that I am not supposed to share with any cloud service, so the only thing keeping me from getting an Android-based device is that they do not sync easily and locally with a PC.

I wanted to get a Bionic, but I see SO many complaints from people using CompanionLink, gsyncit, myphoneexplorer etc., so I have done nothing. Now I see that other, possibly better devices are on the horizon (aren't they always?) so I'm trying to figure out if Android can or will ever work for me and my uinique needsin time to perhaps pick up a Droid Prime.

Anyone able to assist me? I've never owned an Android device before, and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer on the subject.

The answer to how you can best accomplish your PIM goals depends on a few pieces of information:
What is your backend server? Exchange? If so, what version? If not, what are you using for mail services? Perhaps it's hosted?

You're using a Storm currently - are you syncing to your business email? Via BIS or BES?

Finally, exactly what are your expectations? Ability to sync via push email, contacts, calendars? Or something else?

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Raremage:

My interest in CompanionLink (or any suplemental software) would be to facilitate syncing and Android phone (with which I have zero experience) with my PC without going through a cloud service. Part of my concern is that if I use CompanionLink, that the DejaOffice component that has to run on the phone will not behave the way the OS expects it to, and functionality will be lost. Noisemaker answered half of my question, by telling me that in his experience- the CompanionLink/Dejaoffice software retains the functionality that would be important to me.

The other half of my question has to do with the fact that I am not interested (or allowed) to share my contacts list with any cloud service, so I need a way to sync Outlook contacts reliably, directly to my PC without sending them to Google or anyone else.

I do not connect to an exchange server. My mail is hosted through GoDaddy who hosts my business website.

The extent of my smartphone experience is limited to this Blackberry Storm 1 so if you're familiar with Blackberry desktop manager and its simple, straightforward "plug it in and it syncs contacts and calendars" functionality then you understand my expectations (which I do not think are particularly unreasonable.)

I currently use push e-mail my Blackberry. I just want to be able to sync contacts and calendars via USB without sacrificing loss of integration or functionality.

I really appreciate you trying to assist me. Thank you very much.

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
There is another option, especially if you are a small business.

You might want to look into an hosted exchange server. With out even talking about mobile use yet, hosted exchange is superior over using outlook and godaddy's email. Get all of the functionality of an exchange server for 5 dollars a month (microsoft, 6.99*godaddy). This means outlook anywhere, multiple computers/outlooks all playing nice together, completely backed up data, and of course active sync.

It is semi straight forward to set up, if not I'm sure any IT consultant or company could get you up and going for a minimal fee. It is a cloud service, but not like google, you own the information in it.

Godaddy is 6.99 a month (3yr contract) for one user, but rapes you for 30 a month if you need more. I set someone up with microsoft's hosted exchange, and its 5 dollars a month for as many users as you need, w/o a three year contract. All you need to do is move MX records, so don't think you are stuck with go-daddy, you can still use what you have set up with them (except mail).

PM me if you have any questions, I run a physical exchange server, as well as set up a few hosted ones for other companies.

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez