Blackberry to Bionic: Outlook question

cafutter

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am currently a blackberry Storm I user. I use the Blackberry Internet Service and when I am sent an e-mail (either to my g-mail account or my yahoo account), the e-mail goes to both my blackberry and those accounts including directly down to MS Outlook on my PC. I like this and want to keep this functionality. Is that possible? Also, the BB desktop manager syncs my calendar, contacts and notes with outlook. I want to keep this as well.

I am most likely going to get the Bionic. I would like to duplicate those two functions. Is that possible and what do you recommend.

I have been through the forum and haven't really found a proper answer to question #1.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
As far as the phone setup. You will want to setup the gmail account through the gmail app. Then the yahoo account through the email app. This will separate the accounts for you.

For MS Outlook. Setup both accounts as IMAP so they update when you change something on another device.

Switch/Import contacts, calendar and notes from outlook to gmail. Use that instead. The tight integration with the phone will be worth it in the end.

Not sure if this is the right/wrong way, but this is how i would do it.

Last edited:

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
BB email is the best but everything else isn't.

Android will do everything you want very nicely. Storm to my Droid was amazing! I can't even imagine what it will be like for you going from the storm to bionic but you will not regret it!!!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm a former bb and very dedicated Outlook user. One of the best tech decisions I made was to drop Outlook and switch to nothing but gmail. It's so much easier and so much more accessible. If you insist on keeping Outlook, Google Sync will keep you wirelessly in sync with Outlook.

If you are switching from BB to Android, you need to prepared for some changes. You can't keep everything the same and make major changes at the same time. For me Android has been so much better in every single aspect of owning a smartphone, but it's different from bb.

cafutter

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
So as I see it, My phone will get my g-mail and Yahoo mail and my outlook on my computer will also get G-mail as it currently does. (That is g-mail will send its e-mail to both the phone and the PC). Is this correct?
Secondly, the best way to sync my contacts, calendar and notes/memos is what?
Companionlink?
Touchdown?
Gsyncit?
Others?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I was a previous BlackBerry user. I also used Outlook, but I've moved primarily to Gmail exclusively.
I can add or modify any contact or calendar event from any computer or device with internet aaccess.
If I make a change on my PC through my Google account, it will automatically show up on my phone within seconds.
Therefore I don't have to worry about making changes from a computer that has Outlook with my account installed on it.
I can do it from basically anywhere and from any device. Laptop, phone, tablet, etc.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Cafutter --

You may want to check with your IT guys. Here is what you need to ask:

Does your company supports MS ActiveSync?
Do you need to be set up in a special group for this to work for you?
If ActiveSync is a go, ask for what settings you need to enter.

****Make Sure you Do this Next Step****

When ordering your new Android phone, make sure VZW drops the $15.00/Month fee for BlackBerry Enterprise server. Your data bill will go down from $44.99 to $29.00/month.

Good luck!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Cafutter --

You may want to check with your IT guys. Here is what you need to ask:

Does your company supports MS ActiveSync?
Do you need to be set up in a special group for this to work for you?
If ActiveSync is a go, ask for what settings you need to enter.

****Make Sure you Do this Next Step****

When ordering your new Android phone, make sure VZW drops the $15.00/Month fee for BlackBerry Enterprise server. Your data bill will go down from $44.99 to $29.00/month.

Good luck!

From the way his OP reads, I don't think he was on Enterprise Server...he said he was using BIS.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
From the way his OP reads, I don't think he was on Enterprise Server...he said he was using BIS.

I didn't see that. I always assume a business user will be using BES to connect back to the enterprise.

Can you now use BIS to connect to an ActiveSync for Outlook now? Back in the day we could not, we had to use BES.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see that. I always assume a business user will be using BES to connect back to the enterprise.

Can you now use BIS to connect to an ActiveSync for Outlook now? Back in the day we could not, we had to use BES.

With BIS, I always used GoogleSync to get everything from Outlook to the phone. What the OP really needs to do is drop Outlook completely and commit to gmail. It handles everything Outlook does but makes it so much easier and ties directly to your phone. The problem is he's scared. I've been there and was afraid to walk away as well. I used Outlook since it first came out and I loved it until I finally committed to gmail.

rellufs

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Touchdown has been priceless for me. It pushes everything (mail, contacts, and calendar) to and from my OG Droid to computer without issue. It even hooks up with Google Navigation: I will save the address of an appointment in the Outlook calendar.....when I tap on the appointment on my Droid there is an option to navigate! I'm in sales and this is the coolest sales tool I've ever seen.

If there is something out there better than Touchdown, please let me know.

cafutter

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Touchdown has been priceless for me. It pushes everything (mail, contacts, and calendar) to and from my OG Droid to computer without issue. It even hooks up with Google Navigation: I will save the address of an appointment in the Outlook calendar.....when I tap on the appointment on my Droid there is an option to navigate! I'm in sales and this is the coolest sales tool I've ever seen.

If there is something out there better than Touchdown, please let me know.
From the NitroDesk technical support: "Unfortunately, Touchdown will not work with any type of accounts that are not hosted on a Microsoft Exchange server (or compatible ActiveSync Server)..."
So Touchdown is no longer in the picture for me since my e-mail is not from an exchange type server.
I guess CompanionLink is my best bet (most expensive too).

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Cafutter-

If you searched these forums (and others) you undoubtedly ran across some of my posts asking questions identical to yours. Like you- I am a non-enterprise business user "stuck in my ways" with Outlook. There may be better solutions, but my business is set up using Outlook, and my coworkers use it (to send meeting announcements, notes, contacts etc) so I'd rather not switch.

I am very unhappily still using this awful Blackberry Storm 1, and while the device sucks in almost every way- it shines in the way it makes and receives phone calls, and handles email and syncs with Outlook. To complicate the issue a bit- I work with sensitive materials, and have info and contacts on my Outlook that I am not supposed to share with any cloud service, so the only thing keeping me from getting an Android-based device is that they do not sync easily and locally with a PC.

I wanted to get a Bionic, but I see SO many complaints from people using CompanionLink, gsyncit, myphoneexplorer etc., so I have done nothing. Now I see that other, possibly better devices are on the horizon (aren't they always?) so I'm trying to figure out if Android can or will ever work for me and my uinique needsin time to perhaps pick up a Droid Prime.

Anyone able to assist me? I've never owned an Android device before, and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer on the subject.

Galamir

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Cafutter-

If you searched these forums (and others) you undoubtedly ran across some of my posts asking questions identical to yours. Like you- I am a non-enterprise business user "stuck in my ways" with Outlook. There may be better solutions, but my business is set up using Outlook, and my coworkers use it (to send meeting announcements, notes, contacts etc) so I'd rather not switch.

I am very unhappily still using this awful Blackberry Storm 1, and while the device sucks in almost every way- it shines in the way it makes and receives phone calls, and handles email and syncs with Outlook. To complicate the issue a bit- I work with sensitive materials, and have info and contacts on my Outlook that I am not supposed to share with any cloud service, so the only thing keeping me from getting an Android-based device is that they do not sync easily and locally with a PC.

I wanted to get a Bionic, but I see SO many complaints from people using CompanionLink, gsyncit, myphoneexplorer etc., so I have done nothing. Now I see that other, possibly better devices are on the horizon (aren't they always?) so I'm trying to figure out if Android can or will ever work for me and my uinique needsin time to perhaps pick up a Droid Prime.

Anyone able to assist me? I've never owned an Android device before, and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer on the subject.

There is always a better device coming out, especially with android since it isnt restricted to just one phone, ie blackberry os and ios.

I say get the bionic and try it for the 14 days, send it back it it doesnt fit your fancy.

I am coming from a bold 9650 and decided to try out the bionic and haven't been happier with the decision.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree. There'll always be that promised one-up device "just around the corner". I've been sick of my Storm since mid year 2010, and my contract renewall occurred in Febuary of 2011, so I've followed the Bionic since it was announced at CES. My REAL concern is how Android phones interact with Outlook. I'd leave my office now and buy a Bionic if I thought it'd sync locally and directly with my PC / Outlook without any issues (as my BB does). I know Google offers a cloud service that synchronizes with Outlook, but I can't use it (because of the sensitive nature of my work) and I'm concerned that using a 3rd party app like CompanionLink will render some of the functionality of an Android phone useless (perhaps because gmail isn't running the show).

Anyone able to assist me?

Thanks!

Galamir

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. There'll always be that promised one-up device "just around the corner". I've been sick of my Storm since mid year 2010, and my contract renewall occurred in Febuary of 2011, so I've followed the Bionic since it was announced at CES. My REAL concern is how Android phones interact with Outlook. I'd leave my office now and buy a Bionic if I thought it'd sync locally and directly with my PC / Outlook without any issues (as my BB does). I know Google offers a cloud service that synchronizes with Outlook, but I can't use it (because of the sensitive nature of my work) and I'm concerned that using a 3rd party app like CompanionLink will render some of the functionality of an Android phone useless (perhaps because gmail isn't running the show).

Anyone able to assist me?

Thanks!

Wish i could. Ive never tried syncing with outlook, but if i remember when im home later, ill give it a try for you

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate your interest in helping me- but there's no way to do it outside of an Enterprise server (which I do not have), Activesync (which requires an Exchange server), or downloading a third party app. If there was- I'd probably know about it (as much research as I've done into the topic) . I've never owned an Android device before, so I'm hardly an authority, so please let me know if you know of a solution.

Thanks again for trying to assist me!

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The only thing about giving up Outlook is if you use MS Office, it is great to have all of the contact information there for the intergration aspect. I may end up duplicating my contacts in Gmail, because I like to keep track of the birthdays and you cannot add a bd directly in Contacts on the phone; which I find a little odd. But if you enter it in Google's programs, there is a bd spot and it will transfer it to the phone contact.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate your interest in helping me- but there's no way to do it outside of an Enterprise server (which I do not have), Activesync (which requires an Exchange server), or downloading a third party app. If there was- I'd probably know about it (as much research as I've done into the topic) . I've never owned an Android device before, so I'm hardly an authority, so please let me know if you know of a solution.

Thanks again for trying to assist me!

Are you just concerned about reading your email on your phone and still getting it in MS Outlook? I still use Comcast for email via Outlook, but also get it on my Bionic (very quickly, I might add). It keeps a copy on the server so you can ALWAYS go back to MS Outlook and read the email even after I delete it from my Bionic. It was very easy to setup and I receive Gmail & Comcast email in two separate icons on my home screen. Sorry if I am way off base on what you are asking...I came from a BB Storm2 too and was worried about email, but there was no need to worry!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel