Major Bionic Issues, Anyone else?

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I picked up my Bionic first thing Thursday morning from my local store in NC. Shortly after that my daughter and I took off for a weekend trip to IL. The phone is fantastic and I've had none of the rebooting issues that I've seen mentioned. Battery life is decent - although I did buy the spare battery & now think that I was a genius for doing that.

I have only had the following two problems:

1) Apps tend to uninstall themselves - the app is on the home-screen, but when I try to launch it shows that it is not installed. Checking the app list shows that the app is not on my phone and I have to go to market to re-install.

2) Data Connectivity Issues - as a few others noted I've had the problem with switching from 4G to 3G and losing signal in the process. After a few minutes I get it back. Also, when in a roaming area I have no data. All settings are correct and data roaming is turned on. I saw this over the course of my trip and also noticed that when roaming I would have people tell me that they tried to call or text but when I checked my phone there were no missed calls/texts.

I live in a 4G market and the phone is great at home. Unfortunately, I work an hour north and I spend my day roaming. Switched to Wi-Fi while I'm in the office.

Guess I'll be making a trip past the VZW store by the house tonight.

The apps are not unistalling themselves, the same thing happened on my Thunderbolt when I had it. For some reason some of the Apps, when updates get applied to your phone it breaks the shortcut on the desktop of the phone. If you are not manually updating the app and this is happening then chances are the "Auto Update" feature for that app in the market place is checked off and the phone is automatically updating it.

To check to see if an App is auto updating: Go into your market, press the menu button (left of the home button) and select "My Apps" from the pop up menu. In the list of apps that are installed on your phone, tap on the application name and see if the checkbox labeled "Allow automatic updating" is checked, it will be right above the "Rate & Review".

EDIT: I had a problem this morning where Data dropped out all together. Also, my phone never rang when someone called me and a voicemail notification just popped up. I rebooted the phone and it's working fine now, guess I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Stef272

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not too happy right now, I don't know if I haven't set something up correctly. But I did find out I do not live in a 4G area, but I've read over the blogs and tried the CMDA only. Good 3G coverage, but I had a Droid X (loved the phone), but had a wild hair to upgrade to the bionic, well trying to download from the market I can't without WiFi, which I didn't have that problem with my Droid X ..?? WHY!? I have WiFi access where I am, but I may not while out and about..going to be sick if I'm stuck with this problem...I had a feeling to stay with my X..Anyone change my mood? :)

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not too happy right now, I don't know if I haven't set something up correctly. But I did find out I do not live in a 4G area, but I've read over the blogs and tried the CMDA only. Good 3G coverage, but I had a Droid X (loved the phone), but had a wild hair to upgrade to the bionic, well trying to download from the market I can't without WiFi, which I didn't have that problem with my Droid X ..?? WHY!? I have WiFi access where I am, but I may not while out and about..going to be sick if I'm stuck with this problem...I had a feeling to stay with my X..Anyone change my mood? :)

Why not just wait it out with your X for the next two months and then decide if the Bionic is still for you even with the Prime and Vigor being released especially since you love your X?

dirkpittt

May 9, 2011
Visit site
No issues whatsoever. I went to the VZW kiost at BJ's today to get the car mount, and they told me the exetended battery with the cover is 50% until the 30th, so thats only 20 bucks. Getting on on Thursday.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
POSTED: Mine worked fine from 9:30AM Thursday until 9:30PM Friday night with no issues...then my phone shut down by itself and it would not allow me to start it again. I had to do a battery pull in order to get it to turn back on, and then it told me I wasn't connected to Verizon...it took a few minutes for that to happen. But, from that point on, I had several restarts. I did force google maps to close and I did download several apps before this started. I did the sim card pull that someone recommened and so far the past 6 hours no reboots?
UPDATE: Ok, it started again - a couple times it wouldn't wake-up so I had to do a battery pull. I started having more frequent random reboots. I went to the Verizon store and they put a new 4G Sim card in for me. I left the parking lot and lost all connection with Verizon. A little further up the road it did a random reboot, so we turned the car around and went back to Verizon. The guy saw me coming and after I told him what happened he gave me a new phone about 11:30 AM today...8 hours later NO REBOOTS and NO LOST SERVICE! I am slowly adding my apps back on this phone and hoping my first Bionic was just defective.
He told me they sold a lot of Bionics and mine was the first one he received as a return...take it for what it is worth. There do not seem to be too many on this board that has this problem, so hopefully it was just a small amount overall. Otherwise I LOVE this phone.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
POSTED: Mine worked fine from 9:30AM Thursday until 9:30PM Friday night with no issues...then my phone shut down by itself and it would not allow me to start it again. I had to do a battery pull in order to get it to turn back on, and then it told me I wasn't connected to Verizon...it took a few minutes for that to happen. But, from that point on, I had several restarts. I did force google maps to close and I did download several apps before this started. I did the sim card pull that someone recommened and so far the past 6 hours no reboots?
UPDATE: Ok, it started again - a couple times it wouldn't wake-up so I had to do a battery pull. I started having more frequent random reboots. I went to the Verizon store and they put a new 4G Sim card in for me. I left the parking lot and lost all connection with Verizon. A little further up the road it did a random reboot, so we turned the car around and went back to Verizon. The guy saw me coming and after I told him what happened he gave me a new phone about 11:30 AM today...8 hours later NO REBOOTS and NO LOST SERVICE! I am slowly adding my apps back on this phone and hoping my first Bionic was just defective.
He told me they sold a lot of Bionics and mine was the first one he received as a return...take it for what it is worth. There do not seem to be too many on this board that has this problem, so hopefully it was just a small amount overall. Otherwise I LOVE this phone.
It sounds like you got a lemon with the first phone. I hope that the second one works out better for you.

Reddragonjh

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I am having an issue with the bluetooth not working correctly. In my car I can get the BT to dial the number but I have to talk thru the handset. Any ideas fellow android peps?:confused:

oliverobtuse

May 26, 2010
Visit site
To anyone having weird problems... I worked for Verizon and have had many phones. Last phone I had was the LG Revolution before getting the Bionic. When I first got the Revo, it cut off 5 times while activating and would not budge. Then, I took out my old memory card and put in the fresh one and it was fine. Something on my memory card pics was screwing it up.

So, to the OP, are you using your old memory card from the Droid 1? (mine was still from the Droid1) If so, try the fresh one. See what happens for 10 or 15 minutes.

megalosdawg

Banned
Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with you're phone....well there is but it's not hardware related.. It's the OS it happens with android and there is nothing you can do about it

TeddyHeisman#AC

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread or read the board much lately.....

Has anyone noticed a problem with the display staying on while the phone is being charged?

It seems like I always have to manually turn the display off every time.

I'm sure this has already been addressed.....but like I said, I haven't been on much lately.

Thanks!

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread or read the board much lately.....

Has anyone noticed a problem with the display staying on while the phone is being charged?

I'm sure this has already been addressed.....but like I said, I haven't been on much lately.

Thanks!
Menu -> settings -> applications -> development. Make sure that "stay awake" is unchecked; otherwise, your phone will always stay on while charging

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Just posted on the Motorola forum too: my phone would not turn on tonight. Never woke from sleep. I tried holding button down for 10 seconds with no results. Had to pull the battery out to get it to reboot again. Now it's working fine.

Lots of others have reported a similar issue on the Moto forum so I am hoping they are looking into it.

Katherine

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

There's a search button so you can look for something specific without having to read the whole thread

miltk

May 27, 2010
Visit site
haven't pulled the trigger on a bionic yet.

i read an article loving the long battery life, but i've also heard otherwise in other reviews. what's the verdict?

hows the accuracy of the gps/maps/navigation?

thx all

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

i read an article loving the long battery life, but i've also heard otherwise in other reviews. what's the verdict?

thx all
Battery life is decent enough. If you're a moderatero heavy user on LTE then you most likely won't make it a full day. I just ordered the extended battery for %)

As for navigation/GPS, it locks on faster than any phone I've ever had. Amazing.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

thx all

gps is fine, battery life is "fine" depending on your point of view. if you previously had a thunderbolt or charge, then having the phone last 12 hours tops with light/moderate use (even with 4G off most of the time) might be great for you. on the other hand, for those of us coming from other phones, the thought of the phone not making it through a full day even if the majority of the time it's just sitting on a desk with the screen and 4G both off is rather absurd.

seaner925

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am haveing the same problem with the data connection. I have my bionic sitting here next to my wifes Droid X and the x has full signal and 3g where the bionic has no data connection at all. I called Verizon this morning but their system is down so they said they cant help me. I may just take the thing back this afternoon.:mad:
I have the same problem at work. Went to go head to head versus an iPhone 4 on Verizon for youtube video loading and he got the video loaded while mine was still looking for a signal. My old Pre + would have been faster. I know its my work's location but still disheartening:-[

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty