Razr Maxx - Battery Life

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
. While you?re at home the 3G/4G indicator will be present but if you?re on Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi icon will be blue and the 3G/4G icon will be White meaning you aren't using your phone radios at all. .

you sure? i'm on my home wi-fi and the wifi and 3g symbols are both blue

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a war path with these people getting 60 hrs and not disclosing certain things like how much they actually use the device and where, or if it's rooted or not.

60hrs is possible but the phone will be on standby for a lot of the time (smart actions). Remember that theres 24hrs in a day so its only 2.5 days with very minimal useage. When they quote the 60 hrs that inc night time when the phones on standby.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
you sure? i'm on my home wi-fi and the wifi and 3g symbols are both blue

On the Droid Charge I use to have the 4G icon would go away completely while on Wi-Fi.
I'll look at it again but mine seems to be either/or. One is white and the other blue and just don't remember them being on at the same time. I'll watch it more closely. Others have had this question also:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr-maxx/166302-wifi-4g-blue-color-issue-though.html
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr/525538-data-still-while-connected-wi-fi.html

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think you being on Wi-Fi a majority of the time is what's helping you achieve those numbers. While you?re at home the 3G/4G indicator will be present but if you?re on Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi icon will be blue and the 3G/4G icon will be White meaning you aren't using your phone radios at all. That helps. When you leave the house and go on network, the 4G icon will turn blue meaning it's now active. I'm the opposite, I spend 90% of my day out in a 4G area, using Bluetooth in my car and using about 15GB a month on 4G. I'm betting if you start doing that you'll start seeing my numbers. Thanks for the update.

Actually, according to the Maxx manual, a blue icon means you're connected to your Google account, while a white icon means you're not. Check out the manual here, on page 10:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/mot_droid_maxx/razr_maxx_manual.pdf

Reactions: chevyman29

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I noticed when you have data enabled, the icon is white
When you turn on "Background Data", it goes blue. Turning background data off makes it go white again.

Probably because syncing with the Google server is the most common use of background data?

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's another data point but I'm probably not your average user as I *mostly* work from home and thereby have WiFi available. I also have Smart Actions on at night when I sleep, pretty much turn off WiFi, GPS, sync, etc.

Battery Level - 12%

2d 14h 3m 14s on battery

Voice calls - 29%
Wi-Fi - 23%
Android OS - 15%
Phone idle - 9%
Display - 9%
Cell standby - 7%
Google Play Store - 2%
Bluetooth - 2%
Zedge - 2%

I know I may not be the "average user" but I'm happy with the run time I'm getting on a single charge! :D

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I know I may not be the "average user" but I'm happy with the run time I'm getting on a single charge! :D

And there is the answer to all the unrest in this thread.

This is just my opinion, but personally I could care less if Moe gets 70 hours per charge Larry gets 45 and poor old curly only gets 30.

You are never going to get a thread on here to define average battery life because average use is to many different things.

There are way to many variables on battery use to beat yourself up if you only got 24 hours before charging. 3G, 4G or wifi? How are your smart actions set up? How many hours was you screen on, did you stream music, how many phone calls did you make? Do you use live wallpaper or a solid black background, do you auto sync? Add in another 100 im not including or forgetting and you can see the madness and total randomness average involves.

I had a Nexus before this phone and was charging or switching batteries 3 and 4 times a day, so you will have to forgive me for finding humor in a thread where people are pounding the hell out of their phone all day and ONLY getting 24 or 32 hours per charge.

No other phone comes close to what this delivers in battery life, some people would kill for 24 hours, be happy with the run time you get for how you use the phone, not how Moe, Larry and Curly use it.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
CORRECT! As long as I'm happy or feel that the phone is "worth it" I don't give a rat's azz on what other people are getting! LOL! :D :D :D :D

(Unless of course, if my phone dies after 2 hours then I know something is technically wrong but I don't think we are talking about that here.)

Last edited:

Em_Es_Judd

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Will a non stock launcher effect battery life significantly? I use launcher pro plus on my phone (razr maxx), and I generally get something like 18 hrs or so before my phone tells me it needs to be plugged in to it's charger (15%). I use seven home screens with 12 widgets: Launcher Pro's calendar, youtube, evernote, pandora, pulse news, the digital clock, stock weather, doubletwist, 8tracks, wifi and bluetooth toggles and launcher pro's twitter.

Pulse refreshes every 6 hours, facebook updates hourly and I get push notifications from cnn, but I'm not sure how often it refreshes. Does this seem like a setup that will drain my battery unusually fast?

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Will a non stock launcher effect battery life significantly? I use launcher pro plus on my phone (razr maxx), and I generally get something like 18 hrs or so before my phone tells me it needs to be plugged in to it's charger (15%). I use seven home screens with 12 widgets: Launcher Pro's calendar, youtube, evernote, pandora, pulse news, the digital clock, stock weather, doubletwist, 8tracks, wifi and bluetooth toggles and launcher pro's twitter.

Pulse refreshes every 6 hours, facebook updates hourly and I get push notifications from cnn, but I'm not sure how often it refreshes. Does this seem like a setup that will drain my battery unusually fast?

Sounds like it's working just fine for you.

PossumPete

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My phone was burning through the battery and the phone's temperature was unbearable. I dld Go Power Master, pressed the "optimize" button and now all is well. My battery on a normal day would be at 50% by noon (I get up real early). Now it's at 75%. Plus the heating problem has stopped. What ever it optimized worked! It must have cleared out something that was causing problems. :D

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So far my Maxx is on the longest battery charge yet. I do think a big factor is because I'm now using wifi both at home and work. Still only on 3g other times.

1d 5h 43m 47s -- 38 % left

Display 25% - 3h 53m 41s
Android OS 20% - 1 h 3m 34s
Wifi 15% - 16h 56m 1s
Phone Idle 10% - 1d 1h 50m 6s
Cell Standby 8% - 1d 5h 43m 47s
Browser 7% - 20m 39s
Facebook 5% - 13m 59s
Voice calls 4% - 6m 45s
Alarm & Timer 3% - 8m 45s (Keep awake 13m 55s)
Gmail 2% - 4m 59s (Keep awake 14m 36s)
com.motorola.home 2% - 3m 27s (not sure what app this is for)

Not going to charge until I get home from work tonight, very curious to see if it will last the remainder of the day.

*edited b/c I can't spell today

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That's about what I get as well (1d 8h w 30%) when my MAXX is connected to wifi both at home and at work w similar usage as hazelgreen. I don't care for maximizing the battery for 4 or 5 days with things turned off, brightness dimmed, etc.

Just being able to go thru a day w normal usage without having to plug in during the middle of the day is why I bought the MAXX.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
New Maxx owner here.

Yesterday was my first day with my phone with full charge. After 17hrs 58min I still had 28% battery. That's PLENTY good enough for me. All my background sync was on. 4 email addresses, multiple texts, FaceBook, 45 min of YouTube, streaming music, etc. I was impressed that the OS and screen were about the same useage numbers. Usually, the screen was 3 times more than anything else on my Rezound. I keep my brightness on auto and I was a mixture of WiFi and 4G all day.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I wish everyone would start listing their 'Screen On' or 'Display' times along with the total time since the phone came off the charger.

I can get more than 1 Day, also, if I don't use the dang thing!

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
21 hours 42 minutes
3 hours 48 minutes screen on
Auto brightness
No 4g in my area 3g only
Smart actions kill data when screen off

Oops sorry forgot battery at 51% left.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laralynn88