Battery & Screen Hot

incoehoots

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Question, just so I know while I am under warranty.
When I am sitting in my car blue toothing Pandora and browsing the web my screen and battery (or back of phone) heat up. The battery indicator says what the temp is. It gets up to 109f and I turn it off because it is very hot to the touch to me. I have a silicone case on it, and there doesn't seem to be a vent on it like the TB I had. Should I go naked (caseless)?
If its normal cool, cuz I love the phone. TIA for any info.

I have never ran the battery all the way down but it is usually at 60% at 12 hours or so. Pretty good I think. I run Pandora, Enhanced email every 1 min, google voice, etc. Plus I occasionally tether with it.
Should I let the battery run down, is conditioning necessary really?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Question, just so I know while I am under warranty.
When I am sitting in my car blue toothing Pandora and browsing the web my screen and battery (or back of phone) heat up. The battery indicator says what the temp is. It gets up to 109f and I turn it off because it is very hot to the touch to me. I have a silicone case on it, and there doesn't seem to be a vent on it like the TB I had. Should I go naked (caseless)?
If its normal cool, cuz I love the phone. TIA for any info.

I have never ran the battery all the way down but it is usually at 60% at 12 hours or so. Pretty good I think. I run Pandora, Enhanced email every 1 min, google voice, etc. Plus I occasionally tether with it.
Should I let the battery run down, is conditioning necessary really?

First, the reason for the device heating up is usually because it's running something that requires a lot of processing... the CPU is cranking on a lot of stuff. Streaming Pandora and browsing the web at the same time can do that... also I've found that running Google's Navigation app for a log time will do this as well.

I'd advice against draining your battery... that is with the OLD battery types... not with the new battery technology they have been using over the last 5-10 years. Nothing wrong with going down to 10% or so, but you don't want to drain them completely.. this would damage these batteries. No conditioning is required for these new batteries.

Reactions: incoehoots

incoehoots

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
First, the reason for the device heating up is usually because it's running something that requires a lot of processing... the CPU is cranking on a lot of stuff. Streaming Pandora and browsing the web at the same time can do that... also I've found that running Google's Navigation app for a log time will do this as well.

I'd advice against draining your battery... that is with the OLD battery types... not with the new battery technology they have been using over the last 5-10 years. Nothing wrong with going down to 10% or so, but you don't want to drain them completely.. this would damage these batteries. No conditioning is required for these new batteries.

How hot is too hot, and should I use a case or not? Think it matters?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
How hot is too hot, and should I use a case or not? Think it matters?

I'm not sure there is a specific temp... personally, I'd try to find a surface to put it on that might dissipate the heat as much as possible. I use a case and I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it, but try it with and without it... and check it at the same duration time (maybe after 4 hours of use with and without the case).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa