Battery life on ics

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Will wiping the cache partition have any effect on "cached" Google Music albums?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

From what I could tell, offline Google Music files are stored on either your external SD card or the phone's internal memory (also viewed by the system as an SD card). According to this article

AddictiveTips ? Blog ArchiveAndroid Partitions Explained: boot, system, recovery, data, cache & misc

the system cache partition is separate from the SD cards, so my guess is that wiping the system cache partition will not affect any offline Google Music files you may have downloaded. But if you end up losing those files anyway, you could always download them again, since you still have them in the cloud, right?

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup, by the end of the day I was at 20% on my MAXX, even after clearing the cache. I NEVER before got to 20% unless on purpose trying to run it low.
So, back to yesterday....I sync'd mail all through the day, and used the browser, but did not stream. In the known 4G area, I did switch the setting to allow it. At times the temp on the phone itself was 106-108. I have gone through the menus and setting so many times, but I cannot help thinking that some setting had been changed in the OTA to ICS that is doing this..just can't find anything.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if shorter battery life has to do with ICS making better use of both processor cores? I noticed an immediate improvement in speed and smoothness under ICS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just installed ICS and it sure uses more memory when I look at my running services list. Will report on how battery life is after a few days.
After a few days of ICS usage, I find no noticeable difference in battery life on the Maxx. This despite the running services showing at least a hundred more MBs of memory used with the same phone setup (GB vs ICS).

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been insane on ICS so far today. I disabled a buttload of apps, played around with settings, switched wallpapers, and checked out some new menus. Battery dropped from 100 to 99 in this time.

Pic related. My battery when upgrading to ICS
74522.jpg

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed that my Circle Battery Widget isn't able to show battery usage info anymore (e.g., Display, Android OS, etc) in ICS from within the widget (it's grayed out). It's still showing an accurate battery level, though. Anyone else seeing the same thing and what are some other good battery widgets that show 1% increments? Thanks!

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed that my Circle Battery Widget isn't able to show battery usage info anymore (e.g., Display, Android OS, etc) in ICS from within the widget (it's grayed out). It's still showing an accurate battery level, though. Anyone else seeing the same thing and what are some other good battery widgets that show 1% increments? Thanks!

Try using battery circle. I switched to it from circle battery about 6 months ago. You can leave it in notifications and tap on it in notifications to get that info. Without cluttering your home screen. And it shows in 1% increments, temp, time on battery etc.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ive been playing with ICS for less then 24hrs now and my battery life has gotten a bit shorter compared to GB with the same settings. Any real advice would be appreciated

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Ive been playing with ICS for less then 24hrs now and my battery life has gotten a bit shorter compared to GB with the same settings. Any real advice would be appreciated

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2
Maybe give it a day or 2 see if the update settles in better. Do a partition cache wipe. Reboot your phone once in awhile.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got it so hard to say. I'll wait till I do a few more charge cycles and see. So far it looks like its the same as GB.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe give it a day or 2 see if the update settles in better. Do a partition cache wipe. Reboot your phone once in awhile.

Thanks where's there a link to wiping the cache that shows the proper steps I've never done it before sorry for the noobness.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks where's there a link to wiping the cache that shows the proper steps I've never done it before sorry for the noobness.

Turn off phone.
Hold volume up/down and power same time and hold till screen pops up.
Scroll down to recovery then volume up to get into recovery.
Then partition cache wipe.
Then reboot.
T

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I woke up this morning at 6:30 and went in to get the download. It took about 15-20 mins for it to do its thing. The update is awesome but I am having a huge issue with the battery. With GB by this time on a normal day, I would still have a little less than half battery left.

Now, I'm down to 20%. Granted like everyone, I have been playing with the phone a little more than normal to see what is new and what has changed. But, one would think that the battery shouldn't have this much affect on a new operating system.

Any thoughts other than wait a few days and see what happens?

bolte7

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing just the opposite. My battery life is amazing compared to GB. I'm getting about the same if not better but I'm not using any battery saver apps like juice defender or the built in battery extender via smart actions. Also haven't disabled 4G like I did before upgrade. Loving every bit of ICS.

Optid

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing just the opposite. My battery life is amazing compared to GB. I'm getting about the same if not better but I'm not using any battery saver apps like juice defender or the built in battery extender via smart actions. Also haven't disabled 4G like I did before upgrade. Loving every bit of ICS.

Yep. My battery life has improved a lot!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I woke up this morning at 6:30 and went in to get the download. It took about 15-20 mins for it to do its thing. The update is awesome but I am having a huge issue with the battery. With GB by this time on a normal day, I would still have a little less than half battery left.

Now, I'm down to 20%. Granted like everyone, I have been playing with the phone a little more than normal to see what is new and what has changed. But, one would think that the battery shouldn't have this much affect on a new operating system.

Any thoughts other than wait a few days and see what happens?

Please see my thoughts in this post:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr-maxx/184805-battery-advice-new-icsers.html

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Turn off phone.
Hold volume up/down and power same time and hold till screen pops up.
Scroll down to recovery then volume up to get into recovery.
Then partition cache wipe.
Then reboot.
T

OK I wiped the partition cache so let's see what happens the battery is currently at 100% and I'm lightly using it mainly to text every 10-15 min intervals. Let's see how long it takes for the charge to drop to 80% by waking up the phone and putting it back to sleep. On GB I'd avg 3.5-4.0 hrs from 100%-80% doing the exact same thing so I'm watching for the outcome. I will post a screen shot as soon as I hit 80%