Copying music to my SD card

phrankb

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've scoured the forums and haven't found a posting that's quite like what I've got going on. I'm trying to copy my music library to my 32gb sd card. I've tried a couple different ways. First, I tried unmounting the sd card and placing it in a USB adapter, and them simply dragging/dropping the music from my computer to the dcim\music folder. It looked like it was copying, took the requisite amount of time, but when I remounted my SD card in my phone, the music wasn't there. The second way I tried was with the USB cable plugged directly into my phone. My computer sees the phone and SD card, and I again tried to drag and drop my albums to the dcim\music folder. I have about 16gb of music (~200 albums), and it again seemed like it was transferring all of them. But, when it was all done and I hit refresh, it had only transferred about 1/4 of them. I tried dragging/dropping just a folder at a time, and it was still hit and miss when it would actually copy the music. Has anyone heard of this? Could it be something with the phone, or possibly a bad SD card? Thanks.

Frank

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The target folder should be /Music, not /DCIM/Music (DCIM is for the digital camera). I'll assume this was a typo.

After you transfer the music, does it show up in its entirety when you explore the SD card on your computer? Is it only the phone that doesn't see it all?

Posted via Android Central App

phrankb

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, and thanks for replying. On my previous 16gb card, the Music folder was located on the SD card under the DCIM folder along with the Camera. As for the music showing up, no, it doesn't show up in its entirety either when I'm exploring the SD card on my computer or with the phone by itself. It's very hit and miss when the album will actually copy over. I created a Music folder outside of the DCIM folder so it would be \Music and added an album, and I can see it when exploring on my computer, and I can play the music, but once I unplug the USB cable, all the phone sees is the new folder, no sub-folders or music in the \Music folder.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Realistically, it probably doesn't matter where the music folder is--I just like it on the root directory so that it's readily visible.

It sounds like it may be a problem with your SD card, rather than the phone. Do you have any other SD cards you can try? If not, they're pretty cheap these days, so I suggest buying a new one.

phrankb

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking that may be the case. Disappointing too since it's a brand new card. I've got my old 16gb card, which works fine, and I'll double check that. Should have thought to do that. I wanted the 32gb so as to get all my music on my phone. I have MotoCast too, and that works ok, but there have been times it didn't connect. I don't want to be in a place where I really want my music and am not able to get it. Thank you for your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you know what format the 32 GB card is in? If it's anything besides FAT32, there might be compatibility issues. You could try reformatting to FAT32 on your computer.

Posted via Android Central App

phrankb

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't know, but I'll try that. I was thinking about this more, and it simply doesn't make sense to me. It works perfectly fine for my Camera folders, and it did accept SOME of the music albums. How can an SD card just pick and choose what it will save? Strange. I'll post back after I format it and try again. Thanks.

phrankb

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I think I've figured it out, and I believe it's definitely the SD card. The format was indeed FAT32, but I reformatted it again anyway, and then erased it on my phone. All was well as I began loading a bit of music at a time, but it turns out I'm only able to load about 5 gb of music and pictures onto this card, and that's it. It doesn't show any error messages or indicate the card is damaged in my phone, but it simply won't load the full possible amount. It shows a Total Space of 31.23gb available, and after trying to load 15 gb of music, it still shows 26.66 gb still available. I've also tried loading just a little bit at a time, and it's all fine until it gets down to about this amount. It seems this is actually only an 8gb card that's labeled as 32gb. I'm checking into a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress