Media/desk Dock

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I thought the original word was that the official epic accessories like the media dock would be available on launch day, but not only did my store not have anything other than the phone itself, but I can't find them for sale online anywhere. I'm really looking forward to that dock...anyone know if they're available yet? Can they be found online? Should I call around to sprint stores? o_O

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I thought the original word was that the official epic accessories like the media dock would be available on launch day, but not only did my store not have anything other than the phone itself, but I can't find them for sale online anywhere. I'm really looking forward to that dock...anyone know if they're available yet? Can they be found online? Should I call around to sprint stores? o_O

my store had a lot of accessories i got my dock for 39.99 plus 20% off

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I fabricated the dock to fit my epic with the sprint case. Its in the crude phase right not. I used a dremel and basically too off the outer housing and it is exposed I am now in the process of figuring out what to use to cover the opening that is left. will send pics when I complete. But it works just fine.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The dock is so far an EPIC fail on Samsung's part... anyone else noticing that it's not fitting square and flush with the Epic and will frequently trigger the volume buttons to turn the volume all the way down? Epic design fail!!!

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The dock is so far an EPIC fail on Samsung's part... anyone else noticing that it's not fitting square and flush with the Epic and will frequently trigger the volume buttons to turn the volume all the way down? Epic design fail!!!

My phone fits like a glove on the dock. I really like it except for the bright blue light at night. The other Galaxy S phones have very similar docks, is it possible you have the wrong one?

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I got my dock on launch day from my sprint store. They should definitely be in stock now. I LOVE this dock and the free app from samsung. Great alarm clock that actually wakes me up unlike my palm pre. The lights can be kinda bothersome, but I turn the screen off and I usually fall alseep the same even with the blue and red LEDs (plus I fall asleep with the tv on).

pastorich1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I purchased three from my Sprint Store. One for the car, one beside the bed and one on my desk.

Occasionally if I press down on the top edge while the phone is docked the volume will change. A little dremel work could fix this.

The desk software is fine, but the audio out not being enabled until 2.2 is released is a fail.

For those of you not liking the bright blue background, just tap the brightness icon on the top left of the app and you get a black background and subdued icon colors with dimmed yellow clock numbers. Works great at night by the bed or in the car.

appollod

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the Samsung cradle via Verizon (assume this is the home dock) costs $29.99 instead of the $39.99 that Sprint charges. Does the Verizon version fit the Epic or is it custom fit for the Fascinate only? I guess the price different goes away if you buy 2 accessories from Sprint and get 25% off, though. Thanks.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the Samsung cradle via Verizon (assume this is the home dock) costs $29.99 instead of the $39.99 that Sprint charges. Does the Verizon version fit the Epic or is it custom fit for the Fascinate only? I guess the price different goes away if you buy 2 accessories from Sprint and get 25% off, though. Thanks.

I believe the micro usb is located differently for the Epic so it will only work with the Epic specific dock.

FaerieInk

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
For those that have this dock, are you able to use your headphone with it? I'm using BeyondPod for podcast playback and can't seem to get the audio to play through my headphones plugged into the speaker output in the back. It doesn't seem to work with the built in Media player either. I looked through the phone's sound settings and don't see any way to switch it.

Edit... I found the answer after googling, but I'll leave this up here in case anyone else has a question... The line out on the dock won't work until the 2.2 update. *sigh*

Last edited:

cmenglish

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
As others have mentioned the dock itself as a piece of hardware works as intended. The fact that you can very easily depress the volume keys by sliding the Epic into the dock is really a major design flaw, I'm not sure how they managed to let that one slip through, would've been simple to add a groove to the base that provided space for those buttons.

The second major issue I have with the dock is actually a software complaint rather than a hardware one and thus, in theory, more easily remedied. The home dock app seems pretty well thought out but I would like to see more customization ability. I come from the Blackberry world where I used my device as a clock in 'bedside' mode and by comparison the 'night' mode on the Epic dock app is much brighter. It's not really conducive to sleeping. I'd also like to see the ability to change text/background colors and to remove the various icons.

FaerieInk

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I definitely agree about the software customization. I'd really like to be able to change out the icons for the apps I actually use, like messaging and my podcast app!

I don't own a set of stereo BT headphones, but I'm considering buying some if it would be a workaround for the non-functional line-out on the dock. Does anyone know if there's any issue with using stereo BT headphones to listen to music or podcasts while the Epic is in the dock?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My phone fits like a glove on the dock. I really like it except for the bright blue light at night. The other Galaxy S phones have very similar docks, is it possible you have the wrong one?

Nope got mine directly from Sprint... it's a known problem, I Googled it (well known to us consumers; not sure about if Sprint or Samsung are doing anything about it)

I've kinda sorta gotten over it I just try to be careful not to push on the top so the volume isn't pushed down:confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress