Put on Gingerbread and worked OK for a while but..

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
First off I was told using Odin without rooting it was fine. Was it? Secondly I did go with Gingerbread and whatever came with it in the way of a modem. It did crash in a very low signal area this afternoon after 3 days and I had to reinstall the entire package. (Or thought I did..) Anyway I read where the stock modem that came with Gingerbread was buggy so I used Odin again and put the EEO3 modem they recommended. Then I just read a post where Gingerbread seems to crash all modems in low signal areas. Gingerbread had awesome battery life and seemed much quicker but I'm at a loss what to do with this phone. It barely works with my Jawbone Blutooth. I love the keyboard and layout. Just want it to be stable.

Will all of these modems quit and have to be reset in low signal areas or was it just the guy (Member "ratsttam" mentioned it.) who had bad luck with his?

Anyone else have this problem? Mine just went on Airplane mode and you could turn it off all day long and it just was back on whenever you looked at it and there was no signal. Just a not connected symbol.

Thanks... G..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Currently that is one of the big problems with the version of GB were running was modem crashing. I guess that explains why Sprint/Sammy are still doing test builds and we don't have official GB yet.

_Viper_

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are new to this. If you are wanting to run gingerbread on your epic, the first thing you need to understand is that you are going to run into issues because there is no "official" gingerbread rom for the epic thus far. Everything is a "leaked" build.

Next, leave EE03 alone. If you are going to run gingerbread, you should run EF02. So far it is pretty stable although you may run into the issue of some apps in the market disappearing or not working because they aren't yet compatible with gingerbread. The EF02 Modem is very stable as well. Once you flash the modem, you will get a screen telling you to update to EF10. I suggest ignoring it for now. It's only updating the modem and most have had gps lock issues while myself I have missed complete phone calls and intermitten texts and such while on EF10 modem.

If you are wanting a custom rom and not a stock experience, the only 2 roms I know of for Gingerbread are CompKid's Urban Inception which I am running currently. The other is Android Anonymous's I3. Both are nice and stable. There are also two themes out for it right now as well, GingerBlues and Epic Dark Horse.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I knew I was playing with an unfinished test run. I came from the Palm Pre so that phone was rooted the whole time I had it. I liked the Pre it just kept physically breaking, mostly blowing out speakers and slides.

On my first Epic I just have had so many Bluetooth issues and after the Froyo update the phone all but quit working for what I use it for. (Ringer went down in volume, lost the dialer with the instant keyboard if you hit the mag glass while it was up, stupid stuff that they shouldn't have been playing with but did.)

Two guys giving the update instructions were pretty down on the EF02 dialer and it has already crashed twice. The second crash after the update you spoke of. Probably going to leave the EE03 in place for a few days and see if it works better on my phone.

Do any of you know the best place to get the download to go back to Froyo if I need to get the phone replaced and better yet my phone worked tons better before the Froyo update. Where is that file and if it exists can it be done with Odin also? Will I use the same PIT file as I did on Gingerbread? Can you make it quit trying to upgrade to Froyo assuming it can be made to go back to the pre-Froyo version.

Thanks... G..

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was actually hoping it was JUST me that had the modem issue. I had tried to use the Froyo EC05 modem too, but that also crashed when signal went too low. The EF02 modem rendered the least amounts of crashes. They are most evident (if you weren't paying attention when it did crash, and it recovered on reboot), by looking at the battery chart, you'll see a break in it at times it crashed. Most of the crashes are just resetting the phone, but I've also had a message that outright said "modem crash", and most other times it's just reset with the circle/slash. Pulling the battery for a minute would let it restart normally. I would just deal with it, but it also would lock the phone when plugged in. Not good when the phone is also my alarm clock...

There was one thread that indicated to try another hacked up kernel, which did NOT help at all. Didn't make things any worse though, so it looks promising (was fast as anything!)

For now, I will say that if you travel through, live, or work in a low signal area, to avoid the GB leaked roms until Samsung and Sprint can get a handle on the issue. There has just been another proof build EG07, so we'll see if that turns into a leaked rom also. Keeping fingers crossed with this modem issue that it's not a hardware flaw triggered by a GB component, that can't be worked around.

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
My modem sure crashed in a different way. The phone just permanently goes on airplane mode. You can go into setup and uncheck it but it only tells you it's loading and never does. If you leave that screen and return it is checked as being in airplane mode again. I did pull the battery, also just a plain shutdown and finally a hard reset losing all my data all to no avail. The only way to get my phone back is to reflash the modem. (any modem will work at first..)

I may have a bad phone though so that's why I was asking for the factory file and where to get and if I could use ODIN again and did it matter if I used the same PIT file I used to put GB on with.

Thanks... G..

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Some members claim that EE03 has lesser issues than EF02/EF10. Actually, I have been running EF02 since I installed the GB and it's been working just great. Initially, I had some FC issues because of some program incompatibilites, but I did a workaround and they're all working fine.
Maybe you can try each modem for a few days and see which one works better for you?! After you run your tests make sure you post back the results, which could be helpful to other members :)

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My modem sure crashed in a different way. The phone just permanently goes on airplane mode. You can go into setup and uncheck it but it only tells you it's loading and never does. If you leave that screen and return it is checked as being in airplane mode again. I did pull the battery, also just a plain shutdown and finally a hard reset losing all my data all to no avail. The only way to get my phone back is to reflash the modem. (any modem will work at first..)

I may have a bad phone though so that's why I was asking for the factory file and where to get and if I could use ODIN again and did it matter if I used the same PIT file I used to put GB on with.

Thanks... G..

When it's like that, go to settings - about phone, and you'll see things like "baseband version" are "unknown". I did have one time where I had to odin the modem file back, but all other times it was resolved by simply pulling the battery. I am waiting to see if the official GB does it, so I can just walk into the store, and say "here. It's broke".

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if you can post links on this forum or not. I'm still looking for the versions I described above. I have links to what I have found but not sure if you can post them here. Please advise.

Thanks... G..

green67

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I knew I was playing with an unfinished test run. I came from the Palm Pre so that phone was rooted the whole time I had it. I liked the Pre it just kept physically breaking, mostly blowing out speakers and slides.

On my first Epic I just have had so many Bluetooth issues and after the Froyo update the phone all but quit working for what I use it for. (Ringer went down in volume, lost the dialer with the instant keyboard if you hit the mag glass while it was up, stupid stuff that they shouldn't have been playing with but did.)

Two guys giving the update instructions were pretty down on the EF02 dialer and it has already crashed twice. The second crash after the update you spoke of. Probably going to leave the EE03 in place for a few days and see if it works better on my phone.

Do any of you know the best place to get the download to go back to Froyo if I need to get the phone replaced and better yet my phone worked tons better before the Froyo update. Where is that file and if it exists can it be done with Odin also? Will I use the same PIT file as I did on Gingerbread? Can you make it quit trying to upgrade to Froyo assuming it can be made to go back to the pre-Froyo version.

Thanks... G..
Here ya go Guvner...if you're giving up on EF02 and in case you didn't find it already here's a link on how to get back to stock

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...68-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

personally I've been running EF02 from Decadence since pretty much when he posted it. Tried out Dark Horse as well and that was pretty flippin cool but a little too much blue for my liking. To flash I used CWM Purple instead of ODIN though. I'm also running the EF10 modem. For me it just works better. While EF02 isn't perfect(my only complaint is the proximity sensor issue) I must say I really like it. Seems pretty darn stable too. Haven't had any FC's and it runs all my apps fine.

Hope you get you issues solved!
:)

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks 67.. Appreciate the link... I haven't given up on it yet but do want to know how to turn it back to stock in the event it gets bad. So far the EE03 modem hasn't done much bad that I can see. It might or might not have truncated a call today but not really sure.

Are you or anyone else here using a BlueTooth device with your 4G? I've never had very good luck with this phone on any version with my Jawbone Prime or either one of my two Jawbone ICON's. Anyone had good service out of any of the name brands or does the phone just choke on BlueTooth?

Thanks again... G..

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
If you do go backwards to Froyo, do you use the same PIT file you used upgrading to GB or do you just leave it alone on that part with ODIN and stick to just the PDA file? Also do you have to go back to 1.61 ODIN or will the latest version of ODIN work just fine?

Thanks... G..

dbethune

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the problem with efo2 modem too I am running aai3 and the modem would crash,so I flashed ee03 and so far so good if anything changes ill report it

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the problem with efo2 modem too I am running aai3 and the modem would crash,so I flashed ee03 and so far so good if anything changes ill report it

EE03 seems to crash about 1/2 as often as the EC05, EF02 and EF10 modems... But it still does crash.

I did some further testing, and noticed that it it's most prone to crashing when switching rapidly between sprint, no service, and roaming. If I locked it to "Sprint Only" mode, it helps, but will occasionally crash when bouncing from service to no service.
I added roam control to lock to the stronger vzw service in my area, (stable @ 2 bars, sprint is 0-1), and have gone two nights without crashes at all. I hope this added information can help someone figure out WHY it's crashing during network switching, or even develop a patch of sorts to prevent the rapid switch.

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Mine works in the morning. Pretty stable until the heat of the day gets into it. I wouldn't call it a crash but the phone stops communicating with the Jawbone Bluetooth at will and the phone allows you to hear the caller but you are apparently muted as the other side cannot hear you. GB and EE03 is what's on my phone.

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Just as a side note. Not being heard by the caller is for both using the phone or the bluetooth. It is in the phone.

G..

Guvner

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
EE03 locked up just as EE02 previously did. Stuck in Airplane mode until reflashing the modem. Put 02 back on and won't allow it to update this time. Hopefully they get this right soon.

G...

BlueAlchemy17

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks 67.. Appreciate the link... I haven't given up on it yet but do want to know how to turn it back to stock in the event it gets bad. So far the EE03 modem hasn't done much bad that I can see. It might or might not have truncated a call today but not really sure.

Are you or anyone else here using a BlueTooth device with your 4G? I've never had very good luck with this phone on any version with my Jawbone Prime or either one of my two Jawbone ICON's. Anyone had good service out of any of the name brands or does the phone just choke on BlueTooth?

Thanks again... G..

I'm currently using a BlueAnt T1, which also comes with an Android App. It's not perfect, but seems designed to integrate into Android.

mocsab

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my EPIC last friday and installed Gingerbread. The You Tube Video Instructions I watched showed a guy doing the Gingerbread upgrade on a stock epic - I had already rooted mine so I did the install.
After he installed GB - his phone did system check for upgrades and installed EF10 (replacing EF02)

Now is where it gets weird. I upgraded to GB but on a rooted phone. And after installing GB I checked firrmware updates (for gins and giggles) and there was none for my phone. HOWEVER, this afternoon, when I turned my phone on - I saw a system message saying there was an upgrade availalble- from EF02 to EF10 - I went ahead and did the upgrade - and as soon as it was finished my phone checked for upgrades again and came back and said there was an upgrade avaialble - from EF10 to EF02 - now keep in mind my phone is rooted - and from what I understand, I should not be able to get System updates like this (or at least that is what I was told) I have several rooted programs I installed on my phone and they are working fine - I have SuperUser in my Applications - to be honest I am a bit confused. EF02 has been working fine for me - no problems - when I did the install to EF10 - I did have some problems with my phone when I had the EF10 installed, so I went back to the EF02 by using "Check Firmware updates)

To be honest, I am a litttle confused - I am new to this - rooting stuff - I know my phone is rooted - but as I said, I didn't think I could get Firmware updates on a ROOTED phone - anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Try to go back to EF02 and don't do any updates. EF10 screws up the phone and you get a lot of FC's. However, if you have GB on you phone already I would suggest EG22. This seems to be more stable. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress