Getting to RFS to EXT4

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
While looking around, I came across [CWM 3.0.25+]Rfs2Ext4 and Ext42Rfs which offers flashable files converting both ways, RFS to EXT4 and EXT4 to RFS. If these do the same thing as what jmuru posted, they provide another option (including a way to go back). Just thought I'd mention that.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Those do the same thing and provide you a way to go back.

IMO, if you don't want to flash a ROM, I don't think it's worth converting.

Last edited:

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I would like to try for the first time and flash a rom. I'm thinking about the ICS rom. But I'm confused. Do I need to first flash ext4 or will that happen automatically once I flash ICS or Legendary? Also if I want to go back to stock using clockwork do I need to first flash back RFS? Or will clockwork do that automatically when restoring my backup? Thanks!

Last edited:

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If going to ACS ICS, you don't need to flash the EXT4 script separately, as it converts to EXT4 automatically during the installation. Same for Legendary.

Not sure about going back to Stock using CWM, as I usually just ODIN it back and that doesn't require any flashing.

Reactions: adlebo

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
If going to ACS ICS, you don't need to flash the EXT4 script separately, as it converts to EXT4 automatically during the installation. Same for Legendary.

Not sure about going back to Stock using CWM, as I usually just ODIN it back and that doesn't require any flashing.

I'm wondering for the future how would I know if the roms go automatically to ext4? Because I don't recall seeing that info on the rom opening pages. Is that basically standard with all roms?

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The kernel comes along automatically, though you can change it later if you want to for whatever reason (usually cause some are more overclockable than others). Modems do not come with the ROMS and need to be updated manually, mostly because each modem works with each phone differently, meaning that the latest modem isn't necessarily the one that will give your phone the best reception, so it's worth experimenting a little, as you can use any modem with any ROM, pretty much.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering for the future how would I know if the roms go automatically to ext4? Because I don't recall seeing that info on the rom opening pages. Is that basically standard with all roms?

No, it's not standard, but some will say they're EXT4-based, though you can usually switch back to RFS on those if you want to.

Reactions: adlebo

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Even though Rfs2ext4.zip is supposed to run a backup, don't rely on it and run your own. I had the lockup on boot issue and had to wipe and reinstall everything. I'm new to flashing roms too, so thought I'd post this. I've read that having a preexisting nandroid backup fixes the md5 error that I experienced. I'm ext4 now though, so got where I want to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
varun2310