[LIST] MTD ROMs & Kernels

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It seems like there's a lot of MTD ROMs coming out, so I figured I'd start a thread to keep track of all the MTD-goodness in one place. If there's questions about what MTD is exactly, I refer you to this thread from XDA: [INFO]What is EpicMTD, and what you need to know. - xda-developers as well as QBKing77's excellent video: [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds9rwAoI2IQ[/YT]Also, I should mention that converting to MTD/YAFFS2 means you will need to Odin back to EC05 using this thread before you can install any of the current BML (EXT4 or RFS) ROMs. Luckily, it seems like there'll be more MTD ROMs coming out so this is becoming less of a draw-back.

K, now that's out of the way, here's the list so far. Current as of 1/4/12 night.

ROMs:
ROM name: CM7.2.0 RC0
Developer: UberPinguin
Link: [ROM] EpicMTD CM 7.2.0 RC0
Last update: Nightlies released, well, um, every night ;) Though, since the devs are working on CM9, they may be more like weeklies than nightlies. If stability is important to you, stick to the RC.
-- WIMAX!!!
ROM name: MIUI
Developer: xboxfanj
Link: [ACS] [MTD] [YAFFS2] MIUI 1.12.23 RC 0.5
Last update: 1/4/12
-- Similar to iOS (at least, according to Wikipedia).
ROM name: Stock-ish MTD
Developer: Tortel1210
Link: [EI22] Stock-ish MTD Build
Last update:12/21/11
-- Pretty much your stock GB experience minus the bloatware and CiQ.
Name: MarcusantROM
Developer: marcusant
Link: [url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1375345]❑❒❑❒ MarcusantROM Revival v2 ❑❒❑❒ 130mb!. [/URL]
Last update: 12/24/11
-- This is basically ACS ICS 5.5 with red theming. GPS seems to work if you follow these directions, and no more random reboots.
Name: CleanGB-MTD
Developer: toadlife
Link: [ROM] [EI22] [CWM5] [MTD] CleanGB-MTD
Last update: 12/29/11
-- For those of us who just want our phones to $%#^@! work. EI22-based with custom black theme and bloatware removed. Now with working GPS :)
Name: SleeperROM
Developer: SenseiSimple
Link: [ROM][CWM][EI22] SleeperROM - Sport tuned Stock - MTD/ BML(RFS/EXT4)
-- Stock looks. All performance. MTD release is sort of a beta, so there may be issues with it.
To switch between any of these ROMS, you won't need to Odin. If moving from a CM ROM (CM7 and MIUI) to a TW ROM, you have to wipe data before flashing.

Kernels:
Name: CM7 Kernel
Developer: UberPinguin
Link: Direct d/l link
Last update: 12/24/11
-- Stock CM7 kernel
Name: IAP Samurai
Developer: earthbound
Link: [Kernel]BML/MTD/CM7 EI22 Samurai OC/UV RONIN <-[OFFICIAL] BUSHIDO3 for WiMax fix
-- Supports OC/UV, Voodoo Color and Sound, kexec and increased stability from previous release.
Name: Stock-ish MTD
Developer: Tortel1210
Link: [EI22] Stock-ish MTD Build
Last update: 12/21/11
-- V3 Kernel link in OP. Slightly undervolted with some tweaks for speed.
Name: EpicMTD-TWKernel-v1.0
Developer: zman0900
Link: [KERNEL][MTD][EI22]EpicMTD-TWKernel-v1.0[GPL]
Last update: 12/27/11
-- Stock kernel with few modifications. Has kexec (still untested) which allows for dual-booting. Stable and good building block for devs.
Name: CleanGB kernel
Developer: toadlife
Link: [ROM] [EI22] [CWM5] [MTD] CleanGB-MTD
Last update: 12/29/11
-- Link to kernel in OP. Stable, contains a WIFI patch that fixes spontaneous reboots. No Voodoo Sound/Color.
Name: Shadowkernel
Developer: bbelos
Link: [Kernel][EI22][BML][MTD][CM7 w/ WiMAX] Shadow-v1.0.4+ / VoodooColor, OC/UV
-- CM7 and MIUI version with Voodoo color, OC/UV, video recording, no voodoo sound for now, supports WIMAX. TW version with Voodoo sound.

Themes:
Any EI22 theme will work on an MTD ROM, but to flash them, you need to boot into CWM, mount /system (under "Mounts and Storage" menu), flash the theme, unmount /system and reboot. And, if you're on CM7, there's a HUGE selection of themes that can be downloaded from the market (thanks to codest3r for reminding me to put this in).

Happy flashing!

Last edited:

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: MTD ROMs

Thanks for the info about MTD ROMs...very helpful. It looks like there will be many MTD options available soon.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: MTD ROMs

fyi, the reason why everyone is climbing onto the MTD bandwagon is primarily in order to eventually utilize ICS roms which will need to be hacked (and they will be!) since support and future 'official" roms will not be forthcoming from Sammy/Sprint. The little devils at XDA get their business up into everything!! :D

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Any EI22 theme should work on MTD. Not so for kernels, though, so if you're flashing a different kernel, make sure it's designed for MTD.

flastnoles11

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
does any EI22 theme work with MTD?

Yes ei22 themes will work with ei22mtd roms... to get them to apply there is a slight trick though... you must boot into cwm and mount system then flash the theme and then unmount system and reboot! Now enjoy your new theme!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmuru

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes ei22 themes will work with ei22mtd roms... to get them to apply there is a slight trick though... you must boot into cwm and mount system then flash the theme and then unmount system and reboot! Now enjoy your new theme!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Thanks, just added that to the OP :)

GridIron21

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that there is updated version of SleeperRom (2.0.04), as I currently have the 1.1.02 version. So I want to flash the newer one, thus I'm wondering to see if I can flash 2.0.04 over the current version or would I have to do something else first?

(SleeperRom was my first rom to flash, so I'm still learning about rooting)

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that there is updated version of SleeperRom (2.0.04), as I currently have the 1.1.02 version. So I want to flash the newer one, thus I'm wondering to see if I can flash 2.0.04 over the current version or would I have to do something else first?

(SleeperRom was my first rom to flash, so I'm still learning about rooting)

You can flash it directly over the older version of SleeperROM and there shouldn't be any problems.

Reactions: GridIron21

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Great thanks. If I want to flash different rom, I would be able to flash it over a rom, as well?

No, if you're flashing a different ROM you needed to wipe data, cache, and dalvik before flashing. Make a backup first, of course. And, only restore data from non-system apps if you absolutely have to, otherwise, reinstall everything from scratch.

Also, if anyone's seeing this thread for the first time, the OP hasn't been updated since early Jan, so there's way better options available.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: GridIron21