Insufficient storage available error

Jayman73

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Galaxy Tab 2 (rooted). I think it happened after I tried Link2SD.
Any way the solution was to download and enter "Terminal Emulator", execute 'su', execute "pm set-install-location 0". This sets it up as 'auto'. It was set to '2' (external).
I believe the problem is that the GT2 has an internal 'SDCard' and an external "extSDCard" and there is some kind of confusion between them in the OS (4.1.1 Ice Creme Sandwich)

OMG you are awesome. This fixed my problem. Your the best.

SandCrawler

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I joined the forum to simply say "Thank You!" . Your advice was spot on. I did what you instructed and my insufficient storage nightmare ceased. Thanks again.

andrewmpre

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The app cache cleaner worked for me after spending a lot of time on solutions that didn't work. Of note in my case, the app cache cleaner showed my google chrome had over 100 meg of cache being used which is probably why the problem with insufficient storage just occured when I had made no changes on the system. Thanks...

riffraff75

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Galaxy Tab 2 (rooted). I think it happened after I tried Link2SD.
Any way the solution was to download and enter "Terminal Emulator", execute 'su', execute "pm set-install-location 0". This sets it up as 'auto'. It was set to '2' (external).
I believe the problem is that the GT2 has an internal 'SDCard' and an external "extSDCard" and there is some kind of confusion between them in the OS (4.1.1 Ice Creme Sandwich)

Thanks for posting your solution. I've been looking all over the net for a solution to this same problem except I own a Acer A500. I deleted a lot of apps and cleared data and cache with 10 GB free in internal . I could not update Gmail and a few other apps and also could not install new apps. No other solutions worked for me except for this one. Thanks again.

Bryan Ramos

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem but the error on my gt2 is it cannot read the external card. My tab is rooted and i have link2sd with 2partition sd card. while creating link using link2sd it suddenly stopped and my clean master app is nowhere to be found. then i tried rebooting my tab and now my sdcard cannot be mounted.it says "sd card is blank or has unsupported file system..does this terminal emulator can fix my problem? and do i need to have 2partition sdcard as well using terminal emulator? thanks!

Gail Kellum

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes

The error mainly occurs when trying to install an update to an app already installed. The problem occurred on the android market branded app and continues with the new google play store branded app. I have been trying to find a total solution to this problem but have had no luck. I have found plenty of complaints on the issue using google search and even some threads in different phones section here but nothing definitive in solving the problem. The amount of free space is not relevant to the problem as the message occurs no matter how much free space there is. And also other apps update and install without the error with the same amount of free space available and during the same time frame as the apps that the error occurs with. When the problem first began a simple reboot would correct it. Then the problem got worse and that was not enough and the google play store data had to be cleared to correct it. Then got worse and both things had to be done to correct that. Now even doing both of those things doesn't correct the problem any more. The problem persists even after flashing again from a clean wipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMitch1970

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I know I'm arriving a little late to the party and I'm by no means a technical guru but my solution to the problem was installing and running 'app cache cleaner'. My problem started with Spotify updates, then Youtube, then another app and so on and on.............

I installed App Cache Cleaner from Google Play, ran it and voila, no more update problems.

Hope this helps but by all means, shoot me down in flames if I have over simplified an otherwise complex problem!!

himan20

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I just had this error while updating whatsapp. What solved my problem for the time being is. I downloaded the .apk file of the latest version from 4shared and easily replaced my installed version with it and it works perfect.
I hope this helps a few :)

P.S. i tried other methods except the factory reset and i dint wana create a partition.

Peter Whitsett

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You are the bomb! Ditto today for me, except I'm running JellyBean! You saved the day! And for those running CM 10.1, your custom rom COMES WITH a terminal emulator!! So easy... have a beer on me!

So, once again, we have Galaxy Tab2, rooted, and had tried Link2SD (which won't work, but CHANGES where the system USUALLY tries to download to).
Terminal Emulator:
$su
#pm set-install-location 0

(this is "program manager set my system install location to internal sdcard (0)"...)
And thanks again....

skyknight63

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
This worked on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 after unsuccessfully trying everything else. The error occurred because I had previously set my unrooted 10.1 to location 2 trying to get it to install apps to the SD card. I think it's at least ridiculous and nearly criminal to deny this option in the first place. How many hours wasted? How many people not buying for this reason? What does it gain?

sallieu3610

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
how will i be able to write these two lines codes in my blu dash 3.5 android phone. do i have to download any application that will allow me to write these codes?
help.

Westley Gaskins

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same issues but I found that I had used ROM toolbox to configure apps to SD and its not always supported by the apps you're trying to download. If you have done that before then that will be the issue I hope I helped aome .

Miki Delic

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site

THANK YOU MAAAAAN!!!!! I just register to this forum to say that.

Edwin Chinogurei

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
u need to check the size of your flash memory. on my device i have seen that it has 1 gig flash memory (for applications and data) if this flash memory is nearly full i get the error. i move some applications to sd card to free the flash memory which is on the phone. the devce can have plenty of space but if this flash memory is full you won't download. good luck:D

Susheel Sundar

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I tried everything, stopped all the services, reduced RAM usage and what not

and i think whichever mobile you own, this should be your end solution

I tortured myself for two hours to solve this, its simple, download the installer .apk (android) from whatsapp website from PC not mobile and copy it in SD card (connecting mobile Via PC through USB cable), as a file and install it then, you wouldn't face any kind of hurdle i believe.

I think you don't have to do all the Monkey Business mentioned in this Thread, installing that, installing this... simply follow what i mentioned above.

Israel Is

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

THANKS!!!
I tried this solution after I tried the other option in this thread that required "SU", my only worry was downloading the Terminal Emulator, but I was able to easily download it after I cleared the cache from all the apps that wouldnt update, i downloaded TE successfully.
Then after the first SU fix in this thread [which im not sure if it contributed to my fix], tried this and restarted and let my phone rest and it just started updating.
thanks to you my wife love me and my kids are on honor role! I can finally use whatsapp and receive nudes on the GO!
I wanna be just like you when I go grow up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress