No longer have root access

freeze

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted (or should say was) and am running SRF 1.1.0/Twilight Kernel 1.1.0. I no longer have root access (via Titanium Backup or Ghost Commander). The only thing I can think of is that a few days ago I made a backup in CWM and then flashed Midnight ROM (just to see if how the process worked). I then recovered my backup - I did not wipe cache (not sure if I was supposed to or not). I don't know that this has anything to do with it, but it is something I did to the phone. I also recently flashed in the ThinkFree apk from Midnight's Extra folder (though I am running SRF).

In any case, I no longer have root access - TB complains. I tried updating Busybox and SU. Any thoughts? I can't rerun OneClickRoot until later tonight... Thanks.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Syndicate requires root built into the kernel. You flashed midNIGHT, which uses the Bonsai kernel and does not have root built in. Then you restored the Syndicate backup, so you had Syndicate ROM + Bonsai (midNIGHT) kernel. Neither Syndicate nor Bonsai kernel have root built in.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is this something that is common when restoring a backup? Or what did I do to cause this?
If you ever loose root after flashing a kernel/ROM/or restoring a backup just simply rerun OneClickRoot for EXT4 again and it will take care of the problem. Before you ask, no it will not have to go through the entire conversion process again like the first time you converted to EXT4, it will just restore root because you technically never "loose" your EXT4 filesystem conversion unless you use Odin to restore to factory stock in return resetting the entire device and removing EXT4/root, etc..

Its just a matter of some ROMs having the root properties built into the ROM and others do not. There is no real "standard" that the dev's follow its just whatever they choose to do.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So am I running twilight or bonsai right now, after restoring my SRF backup?
Whatever the last kernel was you flashed or ROM you flashed, that is the kernel your running. CWM does not backup/restore the kernel.

freeze

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
so I can reflash the twilight kernel and fix it too. Anyone have a link handy to a flashable version of the twilight kernel in srf 1.1.0?

freeze

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. my browser was messed up and didn't show that I actually posted the first one. :) I'm all better now. Root is back in business. Thanks Paul!