Customisations you can do in the Note10 that no longer require root.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
So. There is no way I am going to risk bricking the Note10+ by trying to root it but many of the things I used root for are now available without. Some baked in and some by Non root apps. I thought I'd list some of the things here. The list will change on feedback and there is a bunch of stuff no longer relevant

Things I can (or don't need)
  • Dark mode. Not as black as with Substratum on the 8 but better than noting and apparently about to get better
  • Bixby button. No longer an issue
  • Modify Notification Bar - Good Lock app - QuickStar module
  • Eu max volume warning - Bluetooth headset more than loud enough up to the warning level.
  • Titanium Backup - Google/Samsung app transfer services make this unneeded.

Things I can't yet
  • Change the battery indicator to a circle containing the percentage.
  • Get a decent, system wide, full black mode to preserve battery during general screen on time.
    I mean, what's the issue? Night Mode applies to nearly all apps well but isn't what I wan't. I have a theme that does what I want but for only 30% of apps but only if Night Mode is disabled, at which point 70% of apps go back to white backgrounds.
    Why, oh why, can I not enable Night Mode but still override the theme where relevant?
    Also, in all tips and tricks videos for the Note 10/10+ it was called Dark mode and much better than I have on mine.

Last edited:

carlitobahsoun

Jun 8, 2019
Visit site
So. There is no way I am going to risk bricking the Note10+ by trying to root it but many of the things I used root for are now available without. Some baked in and some by Non root apps. I thought I'd list some of the things here. The list will change on feedback and there is a bunch of stuff no longer relevant

Things I can (or don't need)
  • Dark mode. Not as black as with Substratum on the 8 but better than noting and apparently about to get better
  • Bixby button. No longer an issue
  • Modify Notification Bar - Good Lock app - QuickStar module
  • Eu max volume warning - Bluetooth headset more than loud enough up to the warning level.
  • Titanium Backup - Google/Samsung app transfer services make this unneeded.

Things I can't yet
  • Change the battery indicator to a circle containing the percentage.
  • Get a decent, system wide, full black mode to preserve battery during general screen on time.
    I mean, what's the issue? Night Mode applies to nearly all apps well but isn't what I wan't. I have a theme that does what I want but for only 30% of apps but only if Night Mode is disabled, at which point 70% of apps go back to white backgrounds.
    Why, oh why, can I not enable Night Mode but still override the theme where relevant?
    Also, in all tips and tricks videos for the Note 10/10+ it was called Dark mode and much better than I have on mine.
u can use hex plugin app , u can theme ur own dark theme with different plugin mode and u can mix (for status bar , setting etc etc ) verry dark mode u can , give it a try .
also u can enable developer mode in setting and than apply force dark mode .

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
u can use hex plugin app , u can theme ur own dark theme with different plugin mode and u can mix (for status bar , setting etc etc ) verry dark mode u can , give it a try .
also u can enable developer mode in setting and than apply force dark mode .

"u can theme ur own dark theme with different plugin mode and u can mix (for status bar , setting etc etc ) verry dark mode u can , give it a try ."
I would give it a try if there as an explanation how.
I can use Samsung themes to get a really propper black pixel mode over 30% of the apps or I can turn on Night Mode to disable that and get dark grey coverage on 90% of apps but not both. Would be really good t know how this can be achieved.

Dark Mode in all the Note10+ videos is a proper black background (pixels off). Now it is predominantly grey. I have found a Samsung theme I like but that will not apply across all apps. Night Mode, that has replaced Dark Mode, disables the theme.

To be clear. I do not want to spend hours designing my own theme. I am not a designer. I am looking to apply a theme and have it universally. Substratum was annoying as hell in it's need to keep re-applying themes but it's supposed to be easier now but have not even got close. Dark mode works universally but is not the theme I want. All other themes cannot be applied universally.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
OK so Hex installer is a cost before you can even try it and all the explanations were old but I gave it a go and decied to leave it installed at price. There are no new how to videos that I have found and the interface and plugin reliability has changes immensly.

From first look though I was able to apply the Samsung High Contrast theme across all apps (ish) but, currently, not select another theme to do so. I am limited to a single theme in this developer/preview mode and then have to spend time doing my own customisations peicemeal. Would be nice to evaluate first but let's see how far we get.

carlitobahsoun

Jun 8, 2019
Visit site
So. It seems that installs a global theme nicely but only as a 10 minute trial
are u using hex + ??? if yes after u choose trial select ur theme and reboot
33873903e4277e6a36f4106977be522f.jpg

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, thanks. It was not updating the thumbnail of the high contrast theme so thought the first was the one I needed to use as a modified copy of high contrast. Once that was re-applied and rebooted it is all good. Also I was missing the night mode plugin to spread theme to other apps.

It is a shame you can't use other themes as a base but I suppose that could open the door to infringement issues.

So close to just how I like things and several of the changes from how I previously liked things are for the better, most of the rest are just because I am used to and still have the Note 8 next to the 10 so can see them side by side when transfering the odd things and just prefer the look I acchieved on the 3/4/8.
Next thing to try and get back is the circle battery indicator in the notification bar:
CircleBattery.JPG

I wonder if I can convert the Peaceful Go/Next Launcher icon pack to be compatible with Nova for my dock icons though? I know I'll not likely get the nice glass icon/folder surround though, that was purely Next Launcher, but the icons are cleaner than the Lines icon pack.
NextLauncherDock.JPG

Last edited:

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It would also be really good to hear from the rest of you what customisations you make to the phone to suit you and whether you previously needed root and now don't. Anything out of the standard Note10/Android10 options, or that have been introduced to those options since the 8 to remove the need for 3rd party fiddling..

carlitobahsoun

Jun 8, 2019
Visit site
for me i use an third party app for call recording + an app for disable google app and some samsung not use too.
i use stock lancher but what i know u can use nova with hex and use icon pack too within the nova .
in android 9 we was changing font in hex app but after android 10 not can anymore.
once u install hex app there is another app must install by it self called hexfied and inside u can see all the plugin and many of user share thiere work + if u have telegram there is an group for hex and sure xda thread for it too.
also iam using nice lock app to lanch good lock app as its not suported in my country .
about cercle battery no plugin had design it yet so far.....
i will screen shoot nice lock + hexfied and callx for recording call.
hope i help
5d3be0715251fe79b0bb15046565092c.jpg
58e5e59a84c4e9979a5afaecdc4ad42f.jpg

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have used Good Lock directly and tried out a few of its modules but have stuck mostly to QuickStar options of disabling notification bar icons I didn't need to see.

I also use Tasker to change my Pen in/out sound to Lightsaber. Yeah, yeah, I know.
Previously I needed the NoteBuddy app and associated Tasker plugin but now it's native to Tasker to detect pen in/out state and write whatever scripts you want. Mine basically turns down the alarm volume to play the sound and then turns it up again so that it can play even on silent mode but not deafeningly.

Most of my other Tasker taks have not changed as they did not need root or 3rd party detection, oh, apart from light on/of that used to need TeslaLED. Now native to Tasker.
Switch to silent mode when connected to WiFi at the office, parent's or sisters' works as it always has.
Well, I assume it does. I've not been able to visit any of them recently but that is core available state detection that has not changed for 10 years really.

ralfyguy

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
What Call Recorder do you use that actually works the way it should?
for me i use an third party app for call recording + an app for disable google app and some samsung not use too.
i use stock lancher but what i know u can use nova with hex and use icon pack too within the nova .
in android 9 we was changing font in hex app but after android 10 not can anymore.
once u install hex app there is another app must install by it self called hexfied and inside u can see all the plugin and many of user share thiere work + if u have telegram there is an group for hex and sure xda thread for it too.
also iam using nice lock app to lanch good lock app as its not suported in my country .
hope i help

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
hope i help

Yay. Feedback. Let us know what call recorder you use as in the ralfyguy's comment.

You also mention using an app to disable some google apps. It would be really good tyo know what you use, which google apps you are disabling and why you do so.
Thnaks.

carlitobahsoun

Jun 8, 2019
Visit site
Yay. Feedback. Let us know what call recorder you use as in the ralfyguy's comment.

You also mention using an app to disable some google apps. It would be really good tyo know what you use, which google apps you are disabling and why you do so.
Thnaks.
post screen shoot of call record from play store
about disable app , was using ccswe app but it stoped and developer not in good health , i google and found an app and it work for me .
will post screen shoot too of what i dont use and disabled
dbd5aac19621e7170fd89ba617cc197a.jpg
45af823d594c42b103e61059214c5ed5.jpg
85690f831f71befbc63ca3d44891d9ae.jpg
794bc862c27d557a10043158932a02cf.jpg
1533465f1984228078a19620f65bea1e.jpg
4e41ddfdbb66cc8c8c1d7c14b0a65328.jpg

ralfyguy

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So does this Call Recorder actually record the other person internally or just like all the others only over speaker phone?
post screen shoot of call record from play store
about disable app , was using ccswe app but it stoped and developer not in good health , i google and found an app and it work for me .
will post screen shoot too of what i dont use and disabled
dbd5aac19621e7170fd89ba617cc197a.jpg
45af823d594c42b103e61059214c5ed5.jpg
85690f831f71befbc63ca3d44891d9ae.jpg
794bc862c27d557a10043158932a02cf.jpg
1533465f1984228078a19620f65bea1e.jpg
4e41ddfdbb66cc8c8c1d7c14b0a65328.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member