Blueant Q2 headset and my Evo

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with the T1. First reason is that I got it at Best Buy using gift cards. Ha! Second reason is that it just works flawlessly. No reception problems or cutouts, and is comfortable... more so than any I've used so far.

Not aware of the XDA forum app. I'll look it over, but I've already paid for Tapatalk. So, oh well...

Good luck with the Q2. I promise not to say I told you so if/when you see the issues I saw. :)

Now remember,... you promised! LOL!

Edit: I got the XDA app off of appbrain.com http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.quoord.tapatalkxda.activity. It's also on the market right from the phone. Tell Gwendolyn we all here said 'Hello'! LOL!

Last edited:

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
well Eric, like you, I was hoping that CD would allow me to just push the button on my Q2, say "call Joe Blow", and it JUST calls him, WITHOUT any other action involved; also, have it just read a text to me when it comes in without any other intervention, the way VLINGO reader does...sounds like it does not do that on its own.

BTW, I LOVED my T1, and would have kept it for sure, if not for the constant break ups while listening to music, no matter what I did..Glad to see its not doing that for you or Cub-ster..

I guess the only way to find out which is better is to find the 16 quarters under my couch, uninstall VLINGO, since its free anyways, and just try Choice dialer for a day..Love the 24 hour refund policy of Google Apps. that ALONE make the CRAPPLE CRAP STORE SUCK the BIG ONE, since you cant get a refund after wasting your money there..

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I dunno guys, I think I'm givin' up on the whole Vlingo vs CD thing,... not gonna put as much energy into it as I did the Icon vs T1 decision. BTW, the ONLY reason I went with the Q2 instead of Cubfan's choice was because I did have a chance to test drive my buddy's Q2 for about an half hour or so. For me, I didn't experience the drops everyone else has. The operational distance between phone and headset IS much shorter than that of the Icon, but I can live with that I guess. What tipped me was the sound quality on my end. The Q2 made the Icon sound like I was connected to callers with tin cans and a string. Just found out that the Q2 uses a 10mm driver and the Icon, T1, Q1, etc. sport 8mm drivers. By contrast, Motorola and Jabra headsets use 7 mm drivers. Interesting! On the other hand, Jawbone's Noise Assassin 2.5 hunts down and kills unwanted noise with the skill Jules & Vincent. I'm satisfied with having the best of both worlds. I'm done! I hope!

Yep, just after posting on the XDA app, I see that XDA does use the tapatalk engine. They've locked it down to service only their forum it looks like. Then again, Tapatalk prolly writes a version to sell to all the forum owners, and a generic version for the rest of us.

Hey look guys, I'm thinking all of us made out well on this stuff!

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
one quick question; what do you guys use to have text messages read to you?
i was using vlingo, but uninstalled it for Choice dialer..

thanks!

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
one quick question; what do you guys use to have text messages read to you?
i was using vlingo, but uninstalled it for Choice dialer..

thanks!

Well at the moment, I'm still on Vlingo. It reads both text messages AND all three of my e-mail accounts. But as I understand it, when the Q2 arrives, I won't need either of these to read text messages. I think that's the case. Hold the phone now,... I read in another forum that Vlingo is about to come out with an upgrade that will be a paid version. You know that Palm & Nokia fans have to pay for their Vlingo. I was shocked to see a 50% off 'come on' on the French Nokia site,... I believe it's called Ovi or something. Anyway, it's suppose to be ready for Android after Froyo,... which may be as soon as Xmas if you believe all the write-ups on it.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm really liking the choice dialer plus; using it with drive safe.ly, and called id reader, and you get caller name recognition, text messages read to you,(dont have it set to read emails, as that is very annoying, since it reads header info and all the other crap you dont want to hear), and the voice recognition of Choice dialer plus seems to work well for me..BTW, I went back to an JB Icon, since the breakup I get in my house and around my house with any Blueant headset just was driving me insane. the new JB icon sounds louder than my original one did, and, there is no break up what so ever.
I know the problem with break up is just in and around my house, probably due to the fact we have so many computers/devices with wi fi, bluetooth, and what ever, but, since I use my headset about 60% of the time while working/living at home, I need something that works all the time at home.
I decided to sacrifice a bit of sound quality to ensure I didnt have breakup.

And, since its 25 day out of the 30 day return period, I hope Blueant doesnt give me any problems about returning it...although Ebay is always the back up plan!

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
One thing I've learned about the Blueant headsets... put the phone in your pocket upside down. Otherwise, you'll lose reception if you sit down and lean forward (cutting off the bluetooth antenna reception). Though the T1 is much better than the Q2, there are still dropouts if you don't do this.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
its funny you should say that, because I used to always lose reception while leaning forward; I just thought my fat belly was the blocking the transmission!!

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what is happening, but it doesn't take a fat belly to do it. The upside down trick works nicely.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
well, I grabbed a Jawbone Icon at BB yesterday, and it doesnt need any type of "tricks" to work properly 100% of the time, so, the Q2, unfortunately, will be going back, assuming Blueant tech support answers their phone this morning!

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Version 1.1 Firmware is out.

Just an FYI, it looks like there is a new firmware to the Q2. Says it enhances connectivity with newer handsets and a bunch of Bing411 crap. Does anyone use this headset with Bing411?

Also why do we have to keep saying "Phone Commands" every time we just want to bluetooth voice dial.

Update: well that just screwed up my Q2, it hung at updating profile for 10 minutes then the screen for the updater closed. Waited another 10 minutes and started it up again, now it always fails. Great.

Last edited:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I learned when updating the T1 that you have to use a USB cable that is connected directly to the computer. Can't be plugged into a hub or it will possibly brick your headset. Likely, if you try again with a direct cable, it will work.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
yeah, and unfortunately, the updater is STILL only for windows 32 bit machines..I guess they dont care about mac/win 64 bit users yet..

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
AT&T exchanged it with no questions asked. Ran the universal updater on 3 different machines and all 3 failed. It finds the Q2 OK and then force closes as it's backing up the profile. No Mac support or 64 bit WTF, how long has the Mac been out and no driver, talk about major fail.

Maybe BlueAnt should take some lessons on updating from Jawbone, that one worked great every time, Mac or PC, 32 or 64 bit.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
No more static.

OK, finaly got this thing updated to 1.1 firmware. It definatly helped with the static. The connection is much stronger. With it in my right ear I couldn't put the phone on my left side, no when I try it I get no static at all. Much better.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
too bad they havent bothered releasing an updater that works on a mac, or I wouldnt have returned my Q2 without trying the firmware update..
It horrible when companies still treat mac users like second class citizens, and dont release updaters/drivers/etc for mac at the same time they release them for windows..VERY poor marketing and planning, IMO