Blueant Q2 headset and my Evo

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you're so right wase, music out of Icon sucks big time. But I never expected anything different, and it would foolish to expect more out of any of these devices.

I'm making some headway with the Vlingo and Choice Dialer apps. Man,... these apps add so much to the Icon. I've successfully retrieved and had read to me my email and incoming SMS's. Choice doesn't allow you to select past emails and TM's, but I understand the paid version of Vlingo does. However, both will read fresh incoming messages. My earlier problem was having the settings so that they step on each other. Still struggling with voice recognition accuracy, but both these apps have to go through some training according to the help docs. Once you select either Vlingo or Choice Dialer as the default, it completely shuts down the stock voice recognition engine,... man that thing is trash. Does anyone have the number to Google 411?

There's an article under the news and press release section of Jawbone's site that confirms more features are in the works for the Icon. There WILL be caller name announcements AND pass thru audio hopefully in the near future. Rumors say by year's end. We saw BlueAnt in here some pages back chiming in on some issues, maybe we'll get a visit from Aliph and they can shed some light. Not sure how useful this pass thru audio thing is gonna be. I see it as just another way to prematurely drain the battery. I'd rather see Jawbone put most of their focus on tighter integration wtih the Andriod OS, like they did with Apple and Blackberry!

Agreed,... if we could figure out a way to coax the Icon into humpin' the Q2, that breeding would result in the perfect device. Thanks for the finger point re: better gels. I remember reading about them, but couldn't remember the details. Think I'll head on over to the Verizon store this evening. I think I saw some Jabra gels over at BB last time I was there.

As for voices, nah,... no sexy voices. I like a voice that more reflects me, not the reflection of a fantasy. Don't get me wrong,... I like pillow talk dripping in pillow voice as much as the next guy, but for this, I'll stick with Sam Elliot.

Last edited:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty pleased with the strong reception and sound quality of the Jabra Extreme. I was waiting for another review of the Icon, and it doesn't sound like much of a reason to upgrade, as I don't need the voices... and I'm pretty pleased with quality of the music actually (about the same as what I experienced with the Q2, though a tad quieter).

One thing I've found is that I experienced a bit of discomfort early with both BT earpieces, but it seems like either my ears have adjusted or maybe the eargels have softened (or maybe a little of both?).

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah,... I did the window down test on the way to pick up the wife. I asked her how I sounded while driving. She asked why I was still at home and not on my way to pick her up. It was only when I got on the beltway did she suspect I was in route. If it can pass the "You got me standing out here waiting on you and you haven't even left yet,... blah, blah, blah" test, then I'm happy and rollin' in slop!

Speaking of Noise Assassin, I realized the Prime, and everything up to the Prime, were armed with Noise Assassin 2.0. The Icon is armed with version 2.5 and which defaults to operating in Lite Mode when the VAC isn't in physical contact with the face. I here you wase, but it's hard to believe BlueAnt's Noise Management is more robust that Jawbones. Everything I've read suggests just the opposite, and that in this class, Jawbone has no equal. To get better Noise Management, you'll have to secure a job driving one our front line battle tanks. Now I agree, sound quality and fidelity is another story. Likewise, everything I've read suggests that BlueAnt is at or near the top of that mountain. So like I said before, it all comes down to what's more important to the owner, sounding good in your ear, or sounding good in the ear of those you converse with. A choice us consumers shouldn't have to make,... not at these prices.

Last edited:

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty pleased with the strong reception and sound quality of the Jabra Extreme. I was waiting for another review of the Icon, and it doesn't sound like much of a reason to upgrade, as I don't need the voices... and I'm pretty pleased with quality of the music actually (about the same as what I experienced with the Q2, though a tad quieter).

One thing I've found is that I experienced a bit of discomfort early with both BT earpieces, but it seems like either my ears have adjusted or maybe the eargels have softened (or maybe a little of both?).

Trust me Cubfan, if listening to music is gonna be a significant part of your use profile for this piece, don't go with the Icon. You'll be a little disappointed. If it's highly unlikely you'd use a BT mono device for music, then Icon would be one of two 'can't go wrong' choices,... hands down. Based on everything I've read, the Q2 would be the other choice,... provided BlueAnt fixes the connection issues or at least calm down all the concerns surrounding the topic. Maybe they could get Steve Jobs to come in and say a few words on the subject! LOL!

Last edited:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Ha, window down is nothing. Do the top down at 70mph test in a Mini Cooper convertible. Works fine for me, and pretty amazing. Gotta use the left ear, though... right is too windy to hear the other party.

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Ha, window down is nothing. Do the top down at 70mph test in a Mini Cooper convertible. Works fine for me, and pretty amazing. Gotta use the left ear, though... right is too windy to hear the other party.

Jabra Extreme uh? I gotta look at that. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get this Icon working with Vlingo. Just got some great advice from Wase4711 over on SU and I'm almost at the end of bouncing back-n-forth between Choice Dialer (thanks for that finger point) and Vlingo. Just can't get it to do what I'm telling it to do (accuracy), AND I'm still getting the stock voice command when I initiate voice command from the Icon. Shouldn't the Vlingo screen show up instead? I wish there was a way to limit the contacts Vlingo will look at like you can in Choice Dialer.

As for the Icon,... so far so good.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to send my wife a text after a workout at the gym with the top down on my convertible. I tried to use Google voice commands, saying "That hurt." She got "Amber." Of course, she immediately texted back, "OK, so WHO is Amber?"

Thanks, Google. Will you please explain to my wife that your voice recognition sucks?

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to send my wife a text after a workout at the gym with the top down on my convertible. I tried to use Google voice commands, saying "That hurt." She got "Amber." Of course, she immediately texted back, "OK, so WHO is Amber?"

Thanks, Google. Will you please explain to my wife that your voice recognition sucks?

LOL! Chime in tomorrow for certain,... let us know you made it thru the night! Priceless!

Hero-ic Lover

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I bought the Q2. Great device. Exactly what I'm looking for. Can listen to everything -- music, movies, and videos from this thing. Call quality has been excellent with no complaints from people on the other end.

As far as the the transition issues when going in and out WiFi areas, cmon, not that big a deal. It's an instantaneous re-connection.

My only complaint is about the device but more the Vlingo app. When my phone is on silent or vibrate, it totally cancels out the text readback feature.

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my Q2 Friday after loosing my Icon. Loved my Icon. Great sound and performance. Loved the form factor and weight. Did not love the volume switch. Had to guess when I had it at maximum level. Lost it and bought the Q2 at an ATT store (Sprint customer). 140.00....Ouch. Still trying to feel my way around speech to text capabilities (new to Android). However, due to its form factor vs Icon (longer) I have to use the ear loop. It will not stay in my ear well like the Icon. Only a problem due to its metal ear loop. Can't get the damn thing on. I had a Moto 710 with a plastic ear loop and it slid right on. Any suggestions for this I would appreciate. Getting frustrated putting on a great b'tooth device.

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
One hundred and forty smack-a-roonies,... Ouch is right. With a little patience, you could have gotten both devices for that price, and come out of a tragic lose with a spare. Just cruising Craigslist in my area and Icons are fairly plentiful for as little as 35 bucks, with most averaging out between 40 & 50 bucks, although you will see a few for $60. That would have satisfied your immediate need to replace a lost unit. I got my Icon from New Egg for 48 bucks,... free shipping! And contrary to some of the horror stories floating around, my unit came in tip-top shape. In 6 days, you'll be able to find Q2's beyond just AT&T and BlueAnt Direct, you should be able to pick one up at the usual spots like BB, Walmart (online), Amazon, and other online discount warehouses. I'm guessing those prices will land at around 79 to 99 bucks. I just put up a link to a pre-order price of $89.99 (free shipping). That pretty much like $84.99 or better at a brick-n-mortar. You need a few days with my wife,... she'll turn you into a frugal shopper. A painful and aggravating learning experience I will admit! LOL!

Still, once you get that fitting problem solved you'll have a fantastic piece. Good luck friend!

Last edited:

ericpd

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I bought the Q2. Great device. Exactly what I'm looking for. Can listen to everything -- music, movies, and videos from this thing. Call quality has been excellent with no complaints from people on the other end.

As far as the the transition issues when going in and out WiFi areas, cmon, not that big a deal. It's an instantaneous re-connection.

My only complaint is about the device but more the Vlingo app. When my phone is on silent or vibrate, it totally cancels out the text readback feature.

Great,... lemme ask you a quick Q. When you trigger voice command from the Q2, do you get the Vlingo voice Super Dialer screen or the stock Android BT Voice Dialer? If so,... how did you manage that? The only way I can access the Vlingo Dialer is thru one of the Vlingo widgets you get during installation. There's got to be a way to trigger the Vlingo Dialer as the default,... right? I hope.

Have you tried Choice Dialer Plus? What are your thoughts?

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my Q2 Friday after loosing my Icon. Loved my Icon. Great sound and performance. Loved the form factor and weight. Did not love the volume switch. Had to guess when I had it at maximum level. Lost it and bought the Q2 at an ATT store (Sprint customer). 140.00....Ouch. Still trying to feel my way around speech to text capabilities (new to Android). However, due to its form factor vs Icon (longer) I have to use the ear loop. It will not stay in my ear well like the Icon. Only a problem due to its metal ear loop. Can't get the damn thing on. I had a Moto 710 with a plastic ear loop and it slid right on. Any suggestions for this I would appreciate. Getting frustrated putting on a great b'tooth device.

At $140... you HAVE to return that to AT&T. Way too much...

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I was driving the other day and had my phone laying on the seat next to me and the headset kept stuttering. Didn't disconnect but it was very unclear and annoying.

Hero-ic Lover

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Great,... lemme ask you a quick Q. When you trigger voice command from the Q2, do you get the Vlingo voice Super Dialer screen or the stock Android BT Voice Dialer? If so,... how did you manage that? The only way I can access the Vlingo Dialer is thru one of the Vlingo widgets you get during installation. There's got to be a way to trigger the Vlingo Dialer as the default,... right? I hope.

Have you tried Choice Dialer Plus? What are your thoughts?
In my experiences, the voice prompt is two-tiered:

Action 1: press button on Q2

Q2: states "say a command"

Action 2: say "phone commands"

Q2: states "activating phone's built in voice commands..yada..yada.."

This will initiate a separate voice prompt asking what you want and that's when you ask to call so-and-so.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Hero-ic; I think Eric understands all that, he is just looking for a way to get VLINGO to take over after "Action 2" occurs, insted of Androids Built in voice prompt taking over..
I dont think there is a way, unless someone has written a special hack via Rooting...

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, a trip to Wrigley Field yesterday and received too many complaints about the sound from my Jabra Extreme for the people I called. Was at the last day of my return policy to Best Buy, so my search now moves to something else.

Was tempted to go with the Icon with the strong recommend by Eric and my brother who has one and really likes it. However, I'm giving the Blueant T1 a try because I liked the features of the Q2 but couldn't get over the flakey connection. I've paired it, and listened to a bit of a podcast. It's good and loud and the sound is similar to the Q2, if not exactly the same to my ears... maybe a little more treble, which is good for voice communication.

It's charging now. We'll see later about disconnects and range. I can always take it back and go to the Icon.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I loved the T1 for awhile,until it started the breakup routine while listening to music; otherwise, I was torn between that and the Jawbone for quite awhile..Jawbone= perfect connection, all the time, weak sound, hard to keep in ear all day
T1= great sound all the time, somewhat easier to keep in your ear for long periods,but lots of drop outs while listening to tunes

so, if calls are you only concern, the T1 is probably the best choice

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroharoo