Warning: Do not perform an OTA!

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
2 devices (htc EVO 3D, Samsung galaxy s2) had OTAs done to them and within a week or two started showing major problems, such as reloading launchers when closing applications and cutting calls (as you make a phone call, the phone locks itself and cuts out) etc...

my final words are STAY AWAY FROM OTAs, FAR FAR AWAY...only perform an OTA if your phone is already giving you major hastles already and it is a last resort or if you are planning on bricking your device in the very near future.

Note: all OTAs were done from gingerbread (2.3) to ICS (4.0+)

if you have already done an OTA and have had no problems for at least a year after the update than please tell me how you got it right. but if you have experienced issues then please comment and state what Android version you came from and which version you updated too, as id like to "research" this further.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
2 devices (htc EVO 3D, Samsung galaxy s2) had OTAs done to them and within a week or two started showing major problems, such as reloading launchers when closing applications and cutting calls (as you make a phone call, the phone locks itself and cuts out) etc...

my final words are STAY AWAY FROM OTAs, FAR FAR AWAY...only perform an OTA if your phone is already giving you major hastles already and it is a last resort or if you are planning on bricking your device in the very near future.

Note: all OTAs were done from gingerbread (2.3) to ICS (4.0+)

if you have already done an OTA and have had no problems for at least a year after the update than please tell me how you got it right. but if you have experienced issues then please comment and state what Android version you came from and which version you updated too, as id like to "research" this further.

I had no problem shifting from 2.3 to 4.0. It went smoothly. What I did was treated it like flashing a new ROM and cleared cache in recovery. Have you tried that?

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I had no problem shifting from 2.3 to 4.0. It went smoothly. What I did was treated it like flashing a new ROM and cleared cache in recovery. Have you tried that?

I'm not rooted, also I'm not to good with computers so I'm not too sure of what your talking about. please explain it as if you were talking to a person that still uses a typewriter.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not rooted, also I'm not to good with computers so I'm not too sure of what your talking about. please explain it as if you were talking to a person that still uses a typewriter.

Data from an old version of Android gets in the way of the new version. The OS has to spend energy and CPU power to determine what data it needs. This can result in a lag. Clearing the cache helps to solve this problem.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty