Bad ESN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyRRR98

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok , I saw this Evo 4g Shift on ebay, but it had a bad esn. It was brand new, and I was just wondering when I turn it on can I use it. I know that sounds weird but would I have to activate it, I just want something to replace ipod. Have any of you tried this yet? Please tell me if so. Thanks :)

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure, but I think bad esn just means that sprint won't activate it. Wifi should work fine.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
A "bad" ESN??? I would suggest just unlocking it. Then use it on any network you wish, at least at 3g. Why be a slave to 1 network.....

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
A "bad" ESN??? I would suggest just unlocking it. Then use it on any network you wish, at least at 3g. Why be a slave to 1 network.....

On CDMA, it doesn't matter if you unlock it, no other carrier will activate it. Bad ESN is when the carrier won't activate it because the former owner didn't pay their bill or it was reported stolen.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What ls377 said. You can still use it in wifi, just won't be able to connect with a carrier; in this case, Sprint.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
On CDMA, it doesn't matter if you unlock it, no other carrier will activate it. Bad ESN is when the carrier won't activate it because the former owner didn't pay their bill or it was reported stolen.

Interesting. I didn't know they still made CDMA. However, I remember reading somewhere awhile back, where it was possible to change the ESN?

Status
Not open for further replies.