Camera apps not taking full advantage of resolution capability

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
My current mobile phone is an LG/Sprint Optimus S, whose camera has 3.2 mpx resolution. My previous (and first) smart phone was an HTC Pure which runs Windows Mobile 6.5 and is perhaps better known as the Topaz, Pure being its AT&T edition. The camera on that phone does 5.0 mpx, so it's obviously much better. Even on just the small device screens, you can see the quality difference at a glance.

For a particular objective, I need to be able to take good pictures on the go, but have the Internet connection provided by my current Android device. In other words, I want to take pictures with the HTC, beam them to my Optimus, and then use that to send out the pictures. I was having a bit of trouble getting the devices to work well together in their native states, so I flashed a version of Froyo onto the old HTC. Having done that, I found that the Bluetooth connection between the devices worked quite well. But when I try to use one of the Android camera apps to take pictures on the HTC, it's not taking full advantage of the lens' capability. The photos show up on the screen about the size of a large postage stamp; in fact not much bigger than a thumbnail picture.

What's going on here? Do Android camera apps not work at any better resolution than 3.2?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Camera apps not taking full advantage of resolution capabilit

ETA: A workaround is to run the HTC device on Windows, and use the original camera app to do the photo; then start up Froyo, go to File Manager under Android Tools, find and open the jpg file, and finally share it via Bluetooth to the other device. This works, but it would be so much more convenient to have an Android app that could take good, 5.0 mpx resolution photos in Android. (Or, alternatively, to have the Bluetooth link work between the two devices without having to fire of Froyo on the HTC.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress