How to send texts using my Google Voice number?

Kid Antrim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I had my number ported to Google Voice and have been using it to make and receive calls for the past two weeks. I was also using it for texts, or so I thought, but yesterday I found out (by looking at my friends phone), that after I sent him a text, my carrier's number was the one that showed up as the sender, instead of my Google Voice.
I thought Google Voice automatically used your Google Voice number for texts too? Am I doing something wrong in the middle?

Thanks

Kid Antrim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm sending from the native messaging app. I didn't think I would have to use the GV app since in my Sync and notifications settings I have "Receive text messages --> Via the messaging app".
Do I need to use the GV app for texts? So when people message me at my GV number I can read the messages using the native messaging app, but in order to text them using my GV number I need to use the GV app? If it's the way to go I'll do it like that, but I'm surprised I need to do that.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
To initiate a text message where a message thread hasn't been started by someone texting your GV first, you need to use the GV app. If they texted your GV number first and your GV settings have the messages forwarded to the native sms app you can continue the message thread and the thread will use your GV number. Be aware that the phone number listed for contacts won't be their actual number it will be a google forwarding number that is different for each contact. You can also purchase a program that integrates GV into the native sms app. Its about 5 bucks in the play store. Look for GV integrator. If you need a clearer description let me know.

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm sending from the native messaging app. I didn't think I would have to use the GV app since in my Sync and notifications settings I have "Receive text messages --> Via the messaging app".
Do I need to use the GV app for texts? So when people message me at my GV number I can read the messages using the native messaging app, but in order to text them using my GV number I need to use the GV app? If it's the way to go I'll do it like that, but I'm surprised I need to do that.

You will need to either use the Google Voice app or download and use the MDR Tools GV Integration app, which allows you to use either the native messaging app or GoSMS Pro to send/receive text messages via your Google Voice number.

Limitations:

1. You must have data service for messages to be sent/received.

2. No MMS support in Google Voice.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mdrtools.apps.gvintegration

Kid Antrim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I see. I am not going to buy the app you mention cause the last reviews in the Play Store are pretty bad, but at least now I know I was just doing something wrong. I still can't believe this is not integrated automatically though. If GV makes sure that everytime I call somebody using the native app it's using my GV number, it should do the same for texts using the native messaging app. If anybody knows of any other way to get the native messaging app to automatically use GV number, let me know. Thanks for the replies!

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I see. I am not going to buy the app you mention cause the last reviews in the Play Store are pretty bad, but at least now I know I was just doing something wrong. I still can't believe this is not integrated automatically though. If GV makes sure that everytime I call somebody using the native app it's using my GV number, it should do the same for texts using the native messaging app. If anybody knows of any other way to get the native messaging app to automatically use GV number, let me know. Thanks for the replies!

Can't speak to the problems that those reviewers in the Play store have, but I've been using the app non-stop for months. It hasn't failed yet. Of course, I'm using it on a Nexus. Not using it on pure Android may be the reason others are having issues.

Kid Antrim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you using it on a Nexus 4? I see a lot of bad reviews saying that the app doesn't work as expected and the developer doesn't answer to e-mails, which make me want to stay away from it. But you may be right and if you have been using it with no issues on a Nexus 4 I may be willing to take a chance on it. Do you use it with the native messaging app or another app like Go SMS Pro?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you using it on a Nexus 4? I see a lot of bad reviews saying that the app doesn't work as expected and the developer doesn't answer to e-mails, which make me want to stay away from it. But you may be right and if you have been using it with no issues on a Nexus 4 I may be willing to take a chance on it. Do you use it with the native messaging app or another app like Go SMS Pro?

GSM Galaxy Nexus running stock 4.2.1 with a StraightTalk AT&T-compatible SIM.

I've used it with both the native app and GoSMS Pro. It works error-free with the native app. Sometimes I'll get a duplicate or repeat message with GoSMS Pro. Otherwise, it works fine with it. But given that issue, for now I'm using the native app with it. Works great.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. You can try the app for free. If I remember correctly it has a built-in trial period. I purchased it after a few days using it. Well worth the few dollars.

Also, according to the description, the developer says that it may have problems on custom ROMs due to its tight integration with the Android system. My guess is that people with non-Nexus phones (TouchWiz, Sense, etc.) will probably have issues.

ymshulman

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the app on the Nexus 4, and I'm having trouble with it:

I started with a stock Nexus 4, and although the app did integrate the messaging so that both incoming and outgoing messages worked properly from the stock messaging app, the notifications came from the Google Voice app- but the notifications of the GV app are horrible compared to the default! No contact picture, no expandable notifications, etc.

I then tried rooting my phone (I had been reluctant to do so because I was afraid of falling down the ROM rabbit hole again, but this was important to me), since the GV Integration app has a alternate method of integrating the messaging with a rooted phone, and that didn't help at all. I still have the messaging integrated, without getting the notifications the way I love.

It's frustrating enough to me that if I wasn't on a Straight Talk prepaid plan, I'd port my number out of Google Voice until things get better...

Just as a general tip for all those people frustrated by the general laginess of the Google Voice app- using it through the widget (in Jelly Bean, at least) makes things a thousand times smoother. The list scrolls well, threads open in an instant, it works very finely.

rojaac

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
KidAntrim, have you found a viable solution yet ? Cant believe that in this day and age of tech we cant do a simple thing like this. I tried that GV Integration app, or Voice+ as it is now called, and it doesnt do crap. It still sends my carrier#. Google Voice app is even crappier, cant send SMS over phone SMS. Cant do jack with it when not online. Messenger by Google is another piece of crap just a repackaged GV, it allows us to change 'this phone #' but doesnt do anything with it. To hell with Hangouts - I dont even want to install that POC. Play store has effectively wiped out each and every app that was supposed to enable this feature as I read from forums I have been on. Why would they want to disable this or not have a feature like this is beyond me. Maybe they will come to their senses the way they are doing right now by enabling Offline Maps again. Idiots.