cannot login to music manager "could not identify your computer"

Philip k Dick

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to android, just bought a Google nexus 7. Liking it a lot. Rooted it so as to use stick mount but not tried any custom Roms or kernels yet. Anyway my problem is not so much to do with the device as my computer, a pretty old Packard bell easy note running Xp service pack 3.
I was impressed when a friend told me I didn't need to add music to the device, I could just upload it all to the cloud and access it or add it offline as I wanted. So I tried to set it up on my computer. I followed instructions to install Music Manager and tried to login with my Google account. ( which is working with everything else). After the verification code was sent to my iPhone I got the error message:

"Login failed. Could not identify your computer"

I suspect it may be because my internet connection is via USB tethering to my iPhone. Not all Google apps will play nice with iPhone (never been able to add gmail account to iPhone, or you tube login). However I am WiFi tethering my Nexus to the same phone and have experienced no login difficulty with any Google services.

Google drive works fine on both iPhone and nexus tethered to it. However on laptop tethered to same phone it crashes sometimes and won't sync properly.,

Any ideas? Do I just need proper Wi-Fi?