Auto forward text messages (and respond) from personal ATT iPhone to work Android phone?

Michael Wenz

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I would like to thank you for any advice I am given in advance! So thank you!

Here is my dilemma. I am a longtime iPhone user and I have recently been given a Samsung Galaxy S3 by my employer. In the past I have just used my old Android phone for Tethering with FoxFi so I can have web access at work on my laptop. I literally never made any phone calls with it for over 2 years. I have had the calls forwarded from my Verizon Android phone to my ATT iPhone since the day I got it.

The Samsung Galaxy is a really nice phone and I would not testing it out for a bit.
Currently I have a (PERSONAL) iPhone 4 on AT&T with a 3G connection and I have this (WORK CELL) Samsung Galaxy 3 on Verizon 4G LTE.
I would like the ability to fully test out the S3 and leave the iPhone at home if I so choose. Call forwarding either way is not a problem at all. I can forward my iPhone personal calls to my work cell and I can forward my work cell calls to my iPhone (Currently this is how I have it). Call forwarding works great but I am looking for a way to handle text messages in a similar manner.

I would like to have the ability to send and receive text messages using my personal number from my Android Phone. I have Google Voice installed on both phones but I cant seem to get it to work at all or I am not setting it up correctly. I would not mind having texts show up on both devices or in my Gmail inbox. There has to be a way to do this. That way if I leave either phone at home it not a big deal I don't have to carry two phones. Nobody ever texts my work number, my only texts received are to my personal cell. Anyone out there that can give me a detailed explanation how to do this with Google Voice or any other app that might be useful? THANK YOU!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I would like to thank you for any advice I am given in advance! So thank you!

Here is my dilemma. I am a longtime iPhone user and I have recently been given a Samsung Galaxy S3 by my employer. In the past I have just used my old Android phone for Tethering with FoxFi so I can have web access at work on my laptop. I literally never made any phone calls with it for over 2 years. I have had the calls forwarded from my Verizon Android phone to my ATT iPhone since the day I got it.

The Samsung Galaxy is a really nice phone and I would not testing it out for a bit.
Currently I have a (PERSONAL) iPhone 4 on AT&T with a 3G connection and I have this (WORK CELL) Samsung Galaxy 3 on Verizon 4G LTE.
I would like the ability to fully test out the S3 and leave the iPhone at home if I so choose. Call forwarding either way is not a problem at all. I can forward my iPhone personal calls to my work cell and I can forward my work cell calls to my iPhone (Currently this is how I have it). Call forwarding works great but I am looking for a way to handle text messages in a similar manner.

I would like to have the ability to send and receive text messages using my personal number from my Android Phone. I have Google Voice installed on both phones but I cant seem to get it to work at all or I am not setting it up correctly. I would not mind having texts show up on both devices or in my Gmail inbox. There has to be a way to do this. That way if I leave either phone at home it not a big deal I don't have to carry two phones. Nobody ever texts my work number, my only texts received are to my personal cell. Anyone out there that can give me a detailed explanation how to do this with Google Voice or any other app that might be useful? THANK YOU!

I honestly don't believe this to be completely possible...

For one, you have a big issue with the fact that your phones are on 2 different carriers, and I don't know of anyway to setup an account to forward SMS messages regardless. It may be possible that there are apps out there that could facilitate the forwarding of messages received on one device to another (maybe?), but I don't know how it would be possible to *send* from another device's number. If you're devices were on the same carrier it may be easier to figure out, but even then, I've never heard of such a scenario.

Regarding Google Voice, I can only speak to the Android side of things, because I've never used it on iOS, but I believe it works the same on both. Using the Google Voice app, you should be able to send and receive texts from your *GOOGLE VOICE* number on either device, but again, that isn't the same as what you're asking, which is to be able to use the phone number assigned to your personal phone. Granted, if you really want to ditch carrying two phones and have 1 number that you can give to people to reach you regardless, Google Voice (or something similar) is probably still the way to go.

Of course, past that are SMS alternatives, like Google Hangouts (formerly Google Talk), which will work on both platforms.

jon777jake

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue and I found the best work around way for that but it only works the android to iPhone way and not from iPhone to Android. In my case the Android (Galaxy S III) is the personal phone but is regardless. For the android download the the app "sms forwarding" the app has two options one which is to auto forward to e-mail and the other to auto forward to another phone number which is the iPhone in my case. I get messages in my iPhone every time someone text me to my android with the recipient phone number so you know who text you. To send messages as "the phone number" you can install a Google chrome extension called "mighty text" that is a cloud based text SMS service that allow you to send messages from your android even when you don't have it in hand. You have to install the app on both the android an chrome for it to work. if you can't install chrome at work then you can download a portable version and take it with you to work in a USB. I can mentionn that there is an app called biteSMS for iPhone but you need to jailbreak that does what you want and I think you have to pay for the app once.

Hope everything has helped, it worked for me :-D
Remember only works from Android to iPhone or Android to Android since the apps are android only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty