Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: cannot send or receive picture messages on my samsung galaxy s3

It sounds too simple, sometimes its a matter of not being connected to a network......somehow, some way you became disconnected. It's happened to me before, I go in and do a network search and reconnect and Wham-Bam, I'm back in pic swapping business. Hope this helps.

Talking Re: cannot send or receive picture messages on my samsung galaxy s3

Thank you Thank you Thank you Sandi!!!!

Amazingly, after months of frustration, turning ON the powersave mode worked for me!

Can you tell me what this means?

"SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta"

I just switched to this Samsung mega and when I try and send an image in a text, it says it is converting it to multimedia and then does not go through when i send it. Instead, the circle will just keep spinning.

This brings up 2 questions:

1) Why is it converting anything and not just sending it as a jpeg

2) Why do I have to switch on data to send a picture instead of using wifi.

I tried the turning off power saver. then turn off wi-fi and comb of either with no success. I use net 10 an wonder is this isn't the problem
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Delevan View Post
    Can you tell me what this means?

"SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta"

I just switched to this Samsung mega and when I try and send an image in a text, it says it is converting it to multimedia and then does not go through when i send it. Instead, the circle will just keep spinning.

This brings up 2 questions:

1) Why is it converting anything and not just sending it as a jpeg
    It is converting because you send it as an SMS/MMS message. SMS/MMS cannot handle JPEGs.

2) Why do I have to switch on data to send a picture instead of using wifi.
    Because SMS/MMS only works as mobile data via mobile networks. Even when you're on Wifi, if you send and receive SMS/MMS it will only do so via mobile networks. That's why (mobile) data needs to be switched on. SMS/MMS requires your device to connect directly with the nearest mobile 'node', a.k.a. cell tower/repeater.
    What you do via mobile networks eats into your monthly dataplan. If you have one. This is why sending and receiving media (photo, video, and audio), which are huge files compared to pure text messages (which are tiny), via SMS/MMS is to be avoided if at all possible. I use it as a last resort. When there's no other way/m.o., i.e. WiFi. If you must send media via SMS/MMS you may want to send public downloadlinks to those files in your cloud (like free or ) instead of the real files themselves. Downloadlinks are a couple KBs in size. The media files they represent are at least a couple hundred KBs (lo-res pictures) up to hundreds of MBs (for hi-res videos). Each.
    SMS/MMS is by far the most expensive protocol for sending and receiving media. And the slowest.

If that bothers you, you may want to try instant messaging. It's like SMS/MMS on steroids. Connects via WiFi. So your dataplan is not impacted however many and/or large messages you send and receive. Let's you send simple text messages (self destructing if you want*), hundreds of photos in one go, or hi-res videos of up to 1 Gigabyte! That's the free app for you. And the free app also offers free audio and video calls via WiFi. They both work on Android and on Apple's iOS.

*ideal for conducting an illicit affair: your racy messages can never be found by your lover's wife on his phone. Because they simply aren't there to be found.
    Last edited by Ealevenish; 03-14-2014 at 01:39 AM.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Actually MMS can handle any file (if it's not too large). "Converting to multimedia" means that you're on a text (SMS) app (that's what texting is - 160 characters max of text), so to send a jpg or pdf or anything but up to 160 characters of text it has to send it as MMS (which just sends the file to a server, and puts a link to the file in the text message - which is what you press to get the picture - you download it from the server.

It should have been designed to work over wifi, but the cellular carriers designed it, and they don't get paid if you use wifi.

"SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta" is someone's signature. They're using an app called Tapatalk 4 beta to read and post here and, evidently SwiftKey as a keyboard. You can put just about anything in as a signature in those apps. The current version (4.4.8) is at You can install it on your phone and use it.

Default Re: Cannot send or receive picture messages on my Samsung Galaxy S3

After looking and trying this and that, I found that if I shut off the WiFi and turn on Data, the pictures come thru just fine with no other adjustments to the phone. Dottie

Default Re: Cannot send or receive picture messages on my Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Dorabil View Post
    After looking and trying this and that, I found that if I shut off the WiFi and turn on Data, the pictures come thru just fine with no other adjustments to the phone. Dottie
    That is also the slowest and most expensive method, and it is limited in file size.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12