Samsung Galaxy S3 "Camera Failed"

isired

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a GS3 on Verizon, had this "camera failed" issue today. I tried to 'shortcut' the solution by just unmounting my sd card but not removing it, but that didn't work. Here's what fixed it, after unmounting the card:
  • took back off phone with the phone on
  • removed SD card
  • pulled battery (phone was still on / screen off until battery pull powered it down - not sure if this matters at all, just how I did it)
  • waited 30 seconds
  • put battery back in
  • started phone up
  • launched camera app - it worked
  • put SD card back in
  • launched camera app - it worked
  • got dialog notifying me that there was an SD card inserted, and asking if I wanted to use the SD card to store photos - I said yes
  • camera still works

kit717

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I have updated the cam firmware to ZDFI02 for i747u, and still have the problem. ask me if you need more details.
I have done all following with no success:
1. took out the battery, removed the sd card,
2. updated to latest ZDFI02
3. cleared the cache including wipe cache partition
4. used the stock rom.

nothing has worked. I really want the camera on my phone as I will be traveling next week.

Johnlayreader

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem. However I have trouble shooted the problem and realized it is NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE.

I have tried several resets, etc.

My problem started where my camera was taking photos, but had white lines in all of them, and sometimes would automatically go into camera failed message. Then after awhile went into camera failed every time.

After removing the backplate I wiggled around the camera (gently) and realized it was a connection to the camera. If I pushed steaight down on the lens, the camera would function like normal for a few minutes. But after doing this a few times I realized it was a very temporary fix.

Does anyone know how to repair the connection, or any other help with this camera issue? I have had the phone for under a year, and used an otterbox defender. I have also never had any serious drops that would make me suspect any internal hardware problems.

Thanks

I had this problem a few weeks ago for several days but it miraculously disappeared when I used the QR code reader - maybe a coincidence. Reason I think this is because I got an 'error callback' message if the camera was in its case (which grips the camera tightly) instead of 'camera failed' error when the camera was out of its case, which made me suspect it was hardware rather than software.

The camera failed again this morning after several weeks working well.

After reading all the helpful suggestions on this thread, I found pressing the camera down worked. I suspect that it may be a poor connection between the camera and circuit board. Maybe the manhandling involved in some of the other mechanical remedies (loosening screws, battery etc.) inadvertently cure this as well.

That's not to say that in some cases the failure could be down to software, just that in my case it suggests a hardware failure.

John

John Gouda

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thanks for sharing your trials, none of the mentioned solutions worked for me. It turned into something else, which is uninstalling Go Launcher, FlashLight.
I have updated to 4.3, and I'm using Go Launcher instead of TouchWiz, so I don't have the option to use the stock torch, so I used to have FlashLight. But for some reasons it crash the camera with 4.3

So I uninstall the FlashLight, and camera is back to work!!
Read the following:

android - Flashlight crashes systems Camera App - Stack Overflow

Good luck.

Sterling Minor

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 camera failed.
Hi guys I have AT&T and my camera literally stopped working today. I did try restarting the phone and I also deleted the cache/data. None of that worked.

I then connected it to my laptop as a media device and let it be recognized. I opened the camera app while it was connected. It worked. When I removed the phone from the laptop it still worked! Hope this helps some!

ARealTitan

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I figured out how to fix it! - NOT exactly easy.
If your not tech savvy, please contact me - Email at bottom;
Or get it repaired by a professional.

1) Shut off Phone.
2) Remove back plate. (Hiding the battery)
3) Remove battery, SIM, and SD Card. (if applicable)
4) Unscrew EVERY screw in coloured portion.
5) Remove portion which is the same colour as your back plate. (removed earlier, hiding the battery)
6) Remove male connector for the speaker, small blue piece at the top of your phone.
7) Disconnect front side camera male connector.
8) Lift circuit slightly and gently.
9) Put camera male connector back in correct position, reconnect with finger.
10) Put the circuit back down again, Gently!
11) Hook up front camera, and front speaker.
12) Put portion that is the same colour as your back plate. (again - removed earlier)
13) Re-screw everything back with their original screws. (if possible)
14) Put battery, SIM, and SD Card (if applicable) back into your phone.
15) Replace back plate.
16) TRY YOUR CAMERA!!!

If these steps didn't work contact me at beaugulley@uanidesign.com - and provide a picture of your phone (front and back) after step 5, then I will be able to walk you through fixing your phone's camera issue.

detong

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem - Camera Failed Error 2-3 weeks back

I did almost everything that was suggested by googling Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Fail. Eg. remove SD card. reboot, factory reset, android reset etc....

Nothing worked.... I thought it is hardware failure.

One fine day, I used the camera worked again for inexplicable reason.

My hunch is that when the firmware update, someone at Samsung forgot to test the camera app, so the camera failed. And the issue is resolved at the next firmware update.

Anyway, I am glad it is working again and I can use it to remember where I park my car.

Denise Rodriguez

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have to do a factory reset or anything else. All I did was power down my phone and remove my sd card for about 15 min. I powered up and left it alone to complete all startup tasks. My camera was good to go after that. Hope it helps.

Vincent Kiddo

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The hardware for cam failed it maybe you dropped the device on the floor hard ! or maybe..you installed a app that need cam permission try uninstall the app and restart the Tab 3 (or Others Device!) After restart unlock the lockscreen and press cam app see will it work ! Hope this might help you !
Thank you for using Andriod ! :cool:

jokeyhaha

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thanks for sharing your trials, none of the mentioned solutions worked for me. It turned into something else, which is uninstalling Go Launcher, FlashLight.
I have updated to 4.3, and I'm using Go Launcher instead of TouchWiz, so I don't have the option to use the stock torch, so I used to have FlashLight. But for some reasons it crash the camera with 4.3

So I uninstall the FlashLight, and camera is back to work!!
Read the following:

android - Flashlight crashes systems Camera App - Stack Overflow

Good luck.

Thank you! This solved my problem.

Lynnea Madrid

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I have got a Samsung Galaxy S3 i had for nearly a year with no problems but suddenly for few days ago when i tried to open the Camera nothing happended the screen just turned black and a warning with "Camera Failed" poped up and when i pressed okay it just got out of the camera and when i try again.. same thing. i tried several of things i read here on the internet with no luck and then several of factory resets again with no luck. I read that im not the only one with this problem but i could not find a solution.
My question is have you guys heard or had this thing before if yes then how did you guys fixed it?

im new on the forum btw. :)

Same problem. Did factory reset, and nothing. Problem didnt start happening until I started to use Snapchat. And at the time only my front camara worked then suddenly they both just stopped working. :(

Xi Chen1

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
i figured this out, i had the same problem, i went to setting->application manager->camera cleaned data and cache, cleaned launch default data, and then force stop camera, reboot my phone, problem fixed

Helen Velasquez

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Fix:
Go to 'Settings' > Application Manager > slide to the right "All" > Scroll Down to 'Camera' > 'Clear Cache'

I tried this several times and it didnt work until i rebooted 'Restarted' my phone :)

Good Luck!!:-*:p;)

Just spreading the love... thanks Google!!

rxv73

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. Did all the suggestions here with the exception of one. Which, in retrospect, I should have done in the first place. I removed the screw in the top left corner as suggested in post #17. Haven't had a problem since. Worth a shot before doing factory resets and the like.

bobbym36

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 off of eBay. It works great. Looked like it was brand new, not a single scratch on it. It was still in the box with the protective plastic pieces over the camera, front and back. I booted it up for the first time and set it all up. I tried the camera and it loaded but I didn't use it. The next time I opened it it said camera failed. I thought this was due to the battery being at a low charge but it persisted.

I've got it to work again numerous times but it will only work for a day or not even and the next day it says camera failed again.

I've tried virtually all the steps here. I even had the entire camera taken apart. The mother board ripped out. Disconnect the camera, front and back and than reconnected it. Removed battery and SD card. I put it all back together, went to applications and cleared cache and forced stop and all that. I restarted my phone and the camera worked fine.

Today I went to use the camera and it says camera failed again.

It's so frustrating!!! I just don't get it?

I've had the camera working 4 or 5 times but it always goes back to camera failed again so I don't know if I should try to buy a new camera? When it's working, front and back work fine with no problems.

It's doesn't seem to me like a new camera will work if this one still works occasionally???

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 off of eBay. It works great. Looked like it was brand new, not a single scratch on it. It was still in the box with the protective plastic pieces over the camera, front and back. I booted it up for the first time and set it all up. I tried the camera and it loaded but I didn't use it. The next time I opened it it said camera failed. I thought this was due to the battery being at a low charge but it persisted.

I've got it to work again numerous times but it will only work for a day or not even and the next day it says camera failed again.

I've tried virtually all the steps here. I even had the entire camera taken apart. The mother board ripped out. Disconnect the camera, front and back and than reconnected it. Removed battery and SD card. I put it all back together, went to applications and cleared cache and forced stop and all that. I restarted my phone and the camera worked fine.

Today I went to use the camera and it says camera failed again.

It's so frustrating!!! I just don't get it?

I've had the camera working 4 or 5 times but it always goes back to camera failed again so I don't know if I should try to buy a new camera? When it's working, front and back work fine with no problems.

It's doesn't seem to me like a new camera will work if this one still works occasionally???

When you bought the phone did you do a factory reset? I would have first thing if buying used. I think you can get a replacement Camera for about 25$ maybe less but I'd really try a reset before spending the money.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

bobbym36

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
It was factory reset when i got it but I did the factory reset again and the camera worked. I thought my problems were solved. The next day I got camera failed again? I found replacement cameras online pretty cheap. I just don't want to waste money if that's not the issue. I never have any problems when the camera is working it just rarely ever works and won't work again unless I factory reset it or pull the battery out and reboot it and clear cache but that doesn't always work either. The problem is it'll work fine for a day and than stop working again.

bobbym36

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
It was factory reset when i got it but I did the factory reset again and the camera worked. I thought my problems were solved. The next day I got camera failed again? I found replacement cameras online pretty cheap. I just don't want to waste money if that's not the issue. I never have any problems when the camera is working it just rarely ever works and won't work again unless I factory reset it or pull the battery out and reboot it and clear cache but that doesn't always work either. The problem is it'll work fine for a day and than stop working again.

It miraculously started working agsin tonight. I cleared the cache and force stopped the app. I restarted the phone and ofcourse I got camera failed message. Tonight I clicked on it for the hell of it and its working fine and taking amazing pictures? I'm sure a day or 2 from now it will stop working again. I don't get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87