Newb in need of a recomandation

Cosminnnnn

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, people!
I bought my girlfriend a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 a few days ago.
The phone is second hand, and the guy that previously owned it installed on it the Cyanogenmod software, and as I remember(don't have the phone near me right now), in the "About Phone" section in Settings it says version 4.2.2 is installed.
It's my first contact with an android phone, so I have no ideea what's the best for the phone.
Considering it's an Galaxy S1(i9000), I don't expect the phone to work and run smoothely as a new version, let's say a S3/S4.
The phone it's working kinda fine, but some apps, including NOT third party ones, are opening and working with some delay. For example, the camera opens after 2-3-4 seconds, and sometimes it freezes when I'm trying to take a photo. Facebook app also not working very smoothly, and so on, I think you got my ideea.
My question for you guys is : for a phone that is not that new, the Galaxy S1(i9000), what software would you recommend me to install? Should I stick with that Cyanogenmod version on it, should I install an older software version, like the 2.3.4 or 2.3.6? I "played" on a Galaxy S1 that had 2.3.4 and it was running better than this one.
If any other info is needed let me know and I'll try to provide it.
Thank you very much!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It's a matter of preference. You'll lose a lot of features stepping back to an older version. If that trade off is worth it, Google for "Samsung Galaxy S i9000 factory image". You'll find a Gingerbread image you can flash using Odin with instructions. It's pretty simple, but feel free to ask if you don't understand the steps.

Cosminnnnn

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your answer! This version does not have the Radio built-in app as I saw, and can't figure out a way to get it :(.
Also, it's my girl's phone, all she need is listen to music(radio if possible to get that back), take some pictures, use Facebook, text messages, call and well some other third party apps like WhatsApp, Viber and some girlish games(lol), so losing some of the features of this mod/software/however it's called won't be a problem.
Installing that Gingerbread image will make the phone run smoother? Does it worth the time/effort/blabla to install it? TY!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it'll improve it and be worth the time. It's actually easy and will be a good learning experience. Android is a very flexible OS with a lot of options. The more you know about how to modify devices, the better off you'll be. That said, ensure you know all the risks involved in performing manual upgrades and downgrades and understand how it works before you do it. Read the instructions a few times before you attempt to actually perform the install. Be sure you get it, and like I said, don't be afraid to ask for some help or clarification. I'm happy to help.

Cosminnnnn

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay, thank you a lot! I will do it in a few days and if I'll need any info I'll be sure to ask for your help. Thank you again, have a good one! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay, thank you a lot! I will do it in a few days and if I'll need any info I'll be sure to ask for your help. Thank you again, have a good one! :)

I think it might be best to just sit back and learn about android a little before changing things. There are radio apps like Pandora. Not listening to the radio, but similar.
Some developers don't always jeep up with developing apps, so that may be part of the problem.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Cosminnnnn

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I think it might be best to just sit back and learn about android a little before changing things. There are radio apps like Pandora. Not listening to the radio, but similar.
Some developers don't always jeep up with developing apps, so that may be part of the problem.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
The radio is not a big problem. We just don't really like the delay of response and some apps freezing, the phone being kinda slow(won't expect be as fast as a s4/s3, but still... ) and though installing an older version of software would help :p .

Cosminnnnn

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the issue could be that the hardware just isn't optimized to handle the newest versions of android.

Exactly my point! So I'm guessing a downgrade would make it run better, but I also wanted a professional opinion, since I use iOS and never used Android for myself(not doing it right now but my girlfriend knows as much as I know about it, that meaning nothing ^^).

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Exactly my point! So I'm guessing a downgrade would make it run better, but I also wanted a professional opinion, since I use iOS and never used Android for myself(not doing it right now but my girlfriend knows as much as I know about it, that meaning nothing ^^).

If there is a custom ROM (or in this case, CM), I am assuming it is rooted. Does it have a custom recovery on it? You can check by going into the bootloader (press volume up, home, and power simultaneously.) It should bring you to the bootloader. Use volume down to navigate to recovery and press power. If it brings you to an android guy with his chest open or an exclamation point, there is no custom recovery. if you see something titled TWRP or CWM, then there is. if there is a custom recovery, it couldn't hurt to see if the previous owner ever did a backup of the original software. If he doesn't have a backup, you could try to find a ROM of an older form of android flash, or, you might have the option of using a RUU (or the factory image) to revert it back to stock. We can try to help you further once you have the phone and have figured out what exactly has been done with it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm with installing the older version of Android simply because anything 4+ is likely running with hacks to get certain features to work. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that certain issues tend to arise and it seems like you are experiencing some of those issues.

Let us know how installing an older version goes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The radio is not a big problem. We just don't really like the delay of response and some apps freezing, the phone being kinda slow(won't expect be as fast as a s4/s3, but still... ) and though installing an older version of software would help :p .

Try a clearing of cache in recovery. That may help a lot.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
A lot of the issue could be that the hardware just isn't optimized to handle the newest versions of android.
This is absolutely correct.

If there is a custom ROM (or in this case, CM), I am assuming it is rooted. Does it have a custom recovery on it? You can check by going into the bootloader (press volume up, home, and power simultaneously.) It should bring you to the bootloader. Use volume down to navigate to recovery and press power. If it brings you to an android guy with his chest open or an exclamation point, there is no custom recovery. if you see something titled TWRP or CWM, then there is. if there is a custom recovery, it couldn't hurt to see if the previous owner ever did a backup of the original software. If he doesn't have a backup, you could try to find a ROM of an older form of android flash, or, you might have the option of using a RUU (or the factory image) to revert it back to stock. We can try to help you further once you have the phone and have figured out what exactly has been done with it.
Good thought with the backup. It may be a long shot, but it would be a lot easier than anything else for a new Android user.

I'm with installing the older version of Android simply because anything 4+ is likely running with hacks to get certain features to work. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that certain issues tend to arise and it seems like you are experiencing some of those issues.

Let us know how installing an older version goes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
As srkmagnus mentions, usually with oldeer devices the rom devs have to fool around to be able to use the latest OS on them. My OG Galaxy tab has a non-functional front camera because I wanted JB on it. Going back to stock should help a lot, or reverting to an older rom.

The reason I would advise to go back to stock is OTA eligibility. You'd be able to get whatever updates have been released for stability/bug/radio fixes that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38