Streaming videos help

Nonononoki

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
**SOLVED**

Hi,
I just switched from WebOS so I'm quite a noob to Android.
Anyways, I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.4.

Now to my issue:
I like to watch video streams. The problem is, that the display will turn automatically off.

Solutions:
1. Play a stream with a video player - how can I do this?
2. Change settings so the display will not switch off on a stream, but will turn off when idle - is this even possible?
3. Turn off "turn off display when idle" setting - but I don't like this one.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Anyways, I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.4.
That's a neat trick!:p Android 4.4 (nicknamed "KitKat") isn't out yet, but the hype is building. You probably have Android 4.2 Jellybean. You can see the exact version under System Settings/About Phone/Android Version.

Rukbat's idea is a good one. What streams are you trying to watch? I don't think most video player apps can stream from any site you choose, but some sites might have their own app.

Nonononoki

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
That's a neat trick!:p Android 4.4 (nicknamed "KitKat") isn't out yet, but the hype is building.
Oops, I meant 4.3 (Waiting for 4.4 :D)

Imma try that AppOverride, looks promising :)

So there's no solution to play a stream with my video player? (I got Mx player). Because it works on certain websites with a certain browser on certain conditions :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So there's no solution to play a stream with my video player? (I got Mx player). Because it works on certain websites with a certain browser on certain conditions

I've never really tried the Network Stream function on MX Player--not clear to me if it only supports MKV files, and only on the local network: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...you-can-stream-mkv-files-mx-video-player.html
It might depend on the website. For example, I found these instructions to stream from something called TVPortal: Help | MX Player

Also consider other players like VPlayer--the description suggests that it can stream from websites.

Finally, there's Hubi, but I don't recognize any of those streaming sites at all.