Could someone tell me what Ethernet is pls

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
In settings on my tablet is the option to turn on Ethernet. Sometimes when I find out what something is, I find that's its very useful to me. So just wondering.

Sent from my MID using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ethernet is the standard wired internet connection, and it looks like a wide telephone plug. So any computer that you have had to plug a cord into for internet access was using an Ethernet cable. Some tablets (mostly the ones from China) have Ethernet sockets, so I'm guessing yours does too.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Just to round up, Ethernet cables are also used for to build Local Area Networks (LAN), the wired kinfolk of wireless LAN, known as WiFi or WLAN :)

Last edited:

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Just to round up, Ethernet cables are also used for to build Local Area Networks (LAN), the wired kinfolk of wireless LAN, known as WiFi or WLAN :)

So wen someone buys a home wireless internet setup for multiple internet devices, the Ethernet cable goes from the phone socket to the wireless thingy (with antenas)?

No, hang on. I think I understand it more each time I read it :rolleyes:

So..... the cables used to set up the LAN (internet hard wired to mutiple devices in a business, home etc) are called Ethernet cables, and these cables go from the phone connection to each computer. Whereas the home (or business) WiFi setup is called WLAN?

And WLAN only needs an Ethernet cable to go go from a phone socket to the WiFi thing (as I was saying in my first sentence)?

Whew! That was hard yaka lol

EDIT: MORE hard yaka :eek: And from what B. Diddy said, the sockets that these Ethernet cables go into are called Ethernet sockets?

Sent from my MID using AC Forums mobile app

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it would work :)

Wired and wireless networks are controlled by routers (wired router/wireles router). Internet could be provided by phone, cable (TV) or fibre optic into a modem which is connected to the router (or embedded into the router). And the router distributes the internet into its network.

And there are a lot of options to link wired and wireless ... :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty