Looking for apps to monitor power usage

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering about apps that are a little more than battery power monitors. I'd like something that will show me the apps that are running and taking up the most memory and causing the biggest power drains on my phone. Something that would log this so I could look it over during the week and get an overall view and make decisions on what to keep and what to erase.
I'm thinking something that would show me what apps I used, how long they were running, how much memory they took up, how much battery power was used, etc.

Is there such an app out there? I'm wanting to look at the differences between the free apps and paid apps to see if it makes a difference also.

I'm running a Sprint GN2 currently 4.1.2. I haven't gotten the update yet.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most battery monitor apps (and some versions of Android) so that for battery drain.

As far as memory usage, Android has a very good memory manager. If it needs memory and there's very little left, it'll find an app that doesn't have to keep running (like a clock) and hasn't been accessed for a whole and "put it to sleep" to free up the memory it needs. Worrying about memory usage in Android is like worrying about which air molecule you swallowed when you were eating.

Storage is completely different - that's not memory. The Application Manager can tell you how much storage an app takes.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And apps sitting dormant in the background taking up memory aren't necessarily using power. So yes, on current versions of Android, it isn't wise to go killing apps to free up memory. It can actually increase power demands as it takes more to reinitialize an app than to simply bring it out of the background.