Software update file size and how long to update?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Today I received a software update in notifications of my phone.

If I use my phone data SIM card to update, how big is the file size and how long will it take to update?

There will be no interruption to my phone during update correct?

In "notifications" it only says "Software Update", what is the update for?

Does it matter what SIM card I use when I am updating? I mean if I use SIM card A to update the phone, when I use SIM card B in the same phone, I will still see the updated software? or will I need to update again when I use SIM card B?

Thanks. (Newbie here. First time encountered an update)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone do you have? This is a system update being pushed by your wireless carrier, correct? The SIM card doesn't figure into the download or installation, so it shouldn't matter which SIM card is inserted.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) The SIM you have to have active is the one that was active when you received the notification. (If you switch SIMs, you'll have to wait until that SIM gets an update notification.)

Note: If you bought the phone from a carrier, only that carrier will be updating the phone.

2) The file size and the time it takes depends on the update. Some are small fixes and are quick, others are new Android versions and take a while.

3) You can not use your phone during the update.

4) We can't tell you what the update is for without knowing the current ROM version in the phone and who your carrier is (and probably only someone with that same situation and carrier can tell you for sure, after getting the update and seeing what that build number is for).

5) The primary carrier will send the update. The phone will then be updated no matter which SIM you use.