Nexus 6P battery question

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have had a 6P since it came out. The battery has been outstanding until very recent. I was surprised today after 2 hours off the charger I was down almost 20%. I had not really used the phone. By noon I was at 49%. Looking at the Battery panel under settings, there was nothing obvious that was consuming the power. Gmail and Outlook were both at 5% and everything else was at 1%. There was only ~1/2 dozen items listed.

Is there another way to understand what is consuming the battery or is it just possible that I am witnessing an early death of the phone?

Thanks in advance.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What is your signal like? I found that if I have a poor signal my battery can drain faster. Even appearing as if Doze isn't even kicking in.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like something is keeping your phone's CPU awake (read up on "wakelocks"). There are any number of possibilities, most of which will not turn up in the battery usage list.

Have you installed any non-mainstream apps recently?

Have you rebooted the phone recently? Turn on -> press and hold power button for about 10 seconds until phone turns off and begins reboot process.

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I should have mentioned ... I have been on WIFI the entire time (home). One thing to note is that I noticed virtually ALL my google apps updated several days ago. I will read on WakeLocks. Thanks for the tip on that. Yes, I rebooted.

-- Editing this after reading about wakelocks. Not sure if these are real but "The battery drain caused by Wakelocks due to Google Play Services, Android OS, Android System, etc. is atrocious and despite the problem having been around for over a year, Google is no closer to fixing it." ... These were updated last week. Will be interesting to see if others report similar problems.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
One other thing worth taking a look at: go to Settings -> Battery -> [three dot menu] -> Battery Optimization and see what items are in the "Not optimized" list. A few cannot be changed (such as Google Play Services) but do you have any others there?

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys (at google) snuck one in on us......

I have a Nexus 6P. I had become extremely discouraged with the phone's battery for it lasted only ~8 - 10 hours. This was in stark contrast to when it was new where it lated ~1.5 days. This is my main business phone so battery is everything. I almost (god forbid) switched to an iPhone hoping for better performance.

In looking at the battery consumption screen, nothing revealed itself as an issue. However, by chance I glanced at the data consumption screen and poof, GMAIL was the top consumer. This is strange for I hardly use that account getting ~1 message a day. It does handle my contacts (~2k), but they don't change much. What was more interesting is that it had triple the data consumed of all my other emails combined (I have 4 total on the phone).

Last night Gmail updated to 4.3. Today, my battery is @ 90% after 3 hours of use. My phone (preliminarily) is back! I will continue to watch it ... but ... me tinks Gmail was the culprit.

All is well that ends well.

Note: Repost ... I also put this on a gmail forum....

Update ---- 7 hours into the day and only 15% used. Yesterday (and for the last couple months) I was at 70% used at this point in the day.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if you have a lower signal, your device may exert a lot of energy trying to search for a signal; which may cause a drain.

You could always post a diagnostic screenshot of your battery performance so we could have a better look (I know you have a written summary, but still, maybe someone will see something!).

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member