Touchscreen Durability Question

ancient_dragon

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking into possibly getting an android device for a little while now. I am currently leaning toward the Samsung Moment as it is the only android device with a physical keyboard through Sprint. But I did have one concern that I wanted to ask about. Touchscreen Durability on cell phones today.

Currently, I have been using the LG Voyager phone for Verizon, which has a touchscreen. I have gone through 3 phones, and all the touchscreen died way too quickly in my opinion. I gave up this 3rd time and haven't even bothered to replace the device since I will be leaving Verizon soon anyways to go on a Sprint family plan. As for my voyager, I took great care of all 3 phones. When I got the Voyager, I was so excited to have such a cool phone for once, I put it only in my pocket alone, with no other devices, keys, wallets, or anything. I also never dropped them significantly, or did anything that I thought should damage a phone. Yet all my touchscreens died anyways. Is this a common issue with touchscreens? Was it before? And if it is, has durability improved since the Voyager, which is obviously a significantly older phone.

I'm just hoping to be able to have a phone that works through my contract, until I can order another phone. So any insight into if people find their touchscreens durable or not these days would be appreciated.

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a friend who had the same problem with that particular phone. I have the moment and its in amazing condition. You will be find using this phone, the keyboard take a tad bit getting used to but its a very good feel. You will enjoy this phone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The Voyager's touchscreen (as far as I know) is not capacitive, but resistive - so it was pressure sensitive. I don't have a Moment myself, but I know that it is capacitive - a completely different technology.

iPhones have been using capacitive touchscreen displays since June 2007. My son's iPod Touch was bought in late 2007, so it is just over 2 years old, and it continues to work just fine. As they say in finance, past results are no indication of future performance, but this particular technology appears to be fairly durable and well worked out.

ancient_dragon

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
As doogaid points out, I figured that touchscreen technology must have improved as touchscreens become more essential in almost all high tech phones. However, i just have no friends or family that own any of the devices for any length of time. I got one friend who has had a droid for under a month, and thats my only experience in my inner circle of friends(I guess I don't run with a high tech crew). So I had to pose the question here, just to get feedback from a more experienced group. But so far, I'm liking what I am hearing, so thanks for the input so far.