Why does my Moto Z "Contact" appear different than my online Google Contacts & iPhone Contact.

NYKrumrie

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Why does my Moto Z "Contact" appear different than my online Google Contacts & iPhone Contact.

I'm trying to sync my old iPhone Contacts onto my new Moto Z. I went to Setting/ Accounts/ Google/ my gmail account & I see my contacts were synced 5 mins ago. I switched it off then back on to force the sync again. Then I go to my gmail account on my laptop & open Contacts. The Contacts in there seem to be right & match up with what I see in my old iPhone Contact. But when I click on the Contact App on my Moto Z it doesn't match either of the other "Contacts" lists. More irritating it has multiple entries for the same name. That is not how those contacts show up on my PC or my iPhone. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does my Moto Z "Contact" appear different than my online Google Contacts & iPhone Contact.

Welcome to Android Central! It may be that your Contacts app is showing other contacts synced from other accounts as well. Open your Contacts app, tap Menu>Contacts to Display, and tell us what accounts show up.

NYKrumrie

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Re: Why does my Moto Z "Contact" appear different than my online Google Contacts & iPhone Contact.

I went to the Contact App & did what you said. The "All" option was selected. I have many other options like Messenger, Phone-Cloud- Preset - 2 different Gmail accounts & Skype. I selected my primary Gmail account & did the sync steps I described above. I went back the Contact App & It still looks wrong. There are a lot of duplicate contact names listed.

NYKrumrie

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site

Do you have any advice or suggestions about getting an App to help me out. I was looking at "AirMore: file transfer" & "Phone Manager" (made by the same co. as AirMore) ? They seem like they might be able to help with several tweaks & setting for my new phone. My other thought was what if I remove the primary Gmail acct & re-enstate it to forces Contact changes? I was going to do that but it warns I will lose all messages & other data so I was scared to do it in case I do something permanently.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

So am I understanding correctly -- your Contacts app is now set to show only your Google account's contacts, and none other? Are the duplicate contacts complete (i.e., do they have phone number, email address, street address, etc.), or do they only have an email address?

If you have no use for contacts synced from any other account, you could also go to Settings>Accounts, select each account, and see if there is an option for Contacts. If there is, then uncheck it. Then go back to the Contacts app and see if you there is an option to remove those extra accounts. If there isn't, you could instead go to Settings>Apps, select Contact Storage, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. When you open Contacts again, it should resync with your Google account only (since you already turned off contact sync for your other accounts).

NYKrumrie

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site

I think I fixed it. I had to "Remove" both gmail accounts then I reinstalled the primary account & now it appears to look right. I'm doing to do some editing to some contact to see if the changes sync correctly.