Hard reset, no data plan, will wifi be configurable?

sydseale

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I apologize in advance if my searching wasn't thorough enough.

Getting a used phone for development/testing, we don't need a data plan, but we're concerned that (as with our old T-Mobile G1) we'll have difficulty logging in and enabling wifi without first activating it on some network. :-$ Someone recommended a Samsung Captivate, so it would be AT&T, I suppose.

Were the headaches people had with the G1 unique to that phone, or is this generally an issue with Android phones? I have a Xoom, but it was activated on Verizon's network before I ever signed in with my Google account. It doesn't seem like this should have to be an issue, but it was with the G1, and for all we know it's not that uncommon, or can be an issue on a phone by phone basis.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been able to use my Captivate without the SIM right after a factory restore, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Reactions: sydseale

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The phone should load up and allow you to setup WiFi without problem. I have an Evo that is not connected to the network and I can connect via WiFi no problems.

Reactions: sydseale

sydseale

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
There's no way to bypass activation on that device?

We don't have it yet, so I'm not sure.

I didn't know if this could be a problem for certain phones, but not others, so I thought I'd find out. We really wouldn't want a phone that would require a data plan in order to do basic things like configure wifi. :eek:

Thanks for the responses, it sounds like the Captivate is a pretty safe bet.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member