Android guidance

Gnab2

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I am new to the Android deal and I am looking at moving from a Blackberry to an Android phone on the Sprint network in Texas. I am looking for a phone that is fast and reliable. I am not into the social networking thing like the wife. I ma looking for multiple email account option, text, nav, good call quality and surfing. I don't want a slide-out keyboard due to the conditions that I am in sometimes. Sand and dirt is killers. I was looking at the Nexus and the Evo, but the Evo 3D with the dual core processor was appealing too.

What phone to go with is the question? Has anyone been in my shoes and what did you go with?

Thanks

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

The three phones you list are all very good, and you'll be happy with any I would think. For what your listing as your main use, the dual-core with 3D screen would be very cool, but way over kill.

I've heard good things about the EVO, but have never messed with one. I myself have the Nexus S phone. I've been pleased with it. It performs quite well, and the biggest attraction for me is that Android updates come directly from Google. [With every other U.S. Android phone, the software updates come from the manufacturer and the carrier which adds delays. Some makers (not HTC) have taken over a year to get an update pushed out.]

The other feature I like about the Nexus, is the only software on it out of the box are the core Android apps: Gmail, Google Maps(Nav), Email, etc. If you want anything else, you'll need to install from the Market. In other words, the only apps I have are the ones I want. (Facebook and twitter? Not on my phone! lol)

With all of that though, I think you'd like either phone. Both will make the Blackberry feel tired. So what I would recommend is play with both of them in the store. The EVO's interface is slightly different than the Nexus, so, try both and see which you like. The EVO's desktop will have ALOT of widgets, icons, and other such clutter on it. For me, this makes it look really busy and way too complicated. But luckily, the desktop (or homescreen) in Android is very customizable, so all of the widgets and icons on the EVO can be deleted or rearranged if you want. [I only mention this tidbit because the Nexus screen will look clean and simple by comparison; and that's not fair for the EVO]

Reactions: Gnab2

Gnab2

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Font,
Do you have any issues with the volume of the ringers on the Nexus? I have heard that there has been issues with it not being very loud.

Thanks again.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
No, the ringers seem loud enough to me. But I think it depends on the ringtone you select. Some sounds are just "louder" than others. However, if the speaker gets covered completely hardly any sounds comes out; sort of like a mute button. So I could see in a pocket or purse, it would sound quieter than normal.

But I seem to hear the wife's NS just fine even in her purse and across the house.

Gnab2

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the info. I think that the Nexus will be the fit for me and the Evo for the wife. I do agree with the 3D Evo will be over kill for the wife or myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana