How would you change Android?

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to make myself clear, Android is a great operating system and have been using it for some time now and I love it.

But.......

If there are certain things you can change about the operating system here it's your opportunity. Many great custom Roms available for just about every users and even if you're not comfortable with messing with your phone, one can always settle with Sense or Touchwiz or others, the options are virtually endless.

Most custom Rom I played around with are very much the same in terms of the useability, let's think outside the box for users experience and share our ideas.

Example:
1) Action Launcher and how they change the App Drawer.
2) Claystone Launcher/Full Screen Launcher and how developer innovate the home screen however they are a bit slow.
*If any on the above launcher get built right into the Rom would it be faster?

Some of my ideas:
1) Move the App tray to the left or right with auto hide and 2 finger swipe to pop up.
2) Palm Pre style multitasking
3) No notification bar but instead have a small quarter circle on the bottom left or right that have signal strengths
4) Instead of horizontal or vertical how about 9 screen with 1 home screen in the middle and you can flick in any direction for another screen.

Let me know what you think guys and girls.

Samsung M100 Uproar > Samsung X480 > Siemens SK65 > BlackBerry 7100T > BlackBerry 8220 Pearl Flip > Palm Pre > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S3

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I can think of is for Google merging all it's messenger apps into a sort of all in one like BBM. But as I've read they're already working on that.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Google, OEM's and carriers to streamline the update process more. I know there will always be obstacles in the road involving carriers slowing down updates but I feel they really need to make this a priority to treat a customer properly that has

1. Given their money to pay for the device
2. Do the update in a timely fashion so they can recieve the promised update now and not the last six months or so of the 2 year contract the signed.

Of course I'm really referring to devices that are released with the promise of " Will receive update to Android xxxx in soon ", really this falls on the carriers more than anything.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I can think of is for Google merging all it's messenger apps into a sort of all in one like BBM. But as I've read they're already working on that.

Messanger API, in similar way as Calendar API, each app have access same content :) problem is apps would need to migrate to this to make any use of it

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with others on a streamlined messaging app, and I also agree that Google needs to expand on that by creating its own version of iMessage/BBM by using the existing Gtalk platform.

I say a more holistic integration of Google Now into activities, more launcher options built in the platform, Facebook and social media integration into interaction with contacts (a la the People Hub on Windows Phone), and Group MMS, among other things.

4.1 and 4.2 are phenomenal, though, so I envision it will be hard to top either although I'm sure Google will with a plethora of surprises under their belts.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with everyone who said to migrate all messaging apps together.. that would only be a dream.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How about split screen built in for tablet .. I know you could already do this for Samsung tablet and phones but I hate Touchwiz cause it's too cartoonish and slow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd like a system like iCloud to automatically backup my media & stock SMS.
I know there's Apps & I use them but Google should implement it into stock Android.
Then there'd be nothing left from iOS of interest to me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: How would you change Android?

Cloud sync game data would be nice as well. iOS has this. Also a Do Not Disturb the option.

After getting tablet i noice how this is needed, iOS get that via iCloud document storage, you could do that with google drive but then it would expose save files to user allowing them to exploit, so all i guess google need to do is allow place hidden per app files

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez