Are there any neutral people on here?

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Im neutral here, actually more of a lurker and learner. I did the same thing at CrackBerry forums for almost five years.
I am constantly amazed by all the genius information people discover about the android os and our devices with sooo many manufacturers and bootlooaders and roms and widgets
The #094xxxxxx number to dial as well as radio editing for LTE/wcdma changing etc take me back to seem editing on the Motorola V3s was the big thing then the rom cooking on Windows Mobike 5, 6, 6.1 and 6.5

I thank all the developers for unleashing the true power of our devices

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure it's biased to believe one is currently better than the other. For me neutrality is about understanding both sides, the pro's and con's of each, and being able to make a recommendation based on specs, software and ecosystem (total package user experience) as well as the philosophical differences between the approaches each company takes in interaction with their peers and their customers. Based on that, or whatever criteria the poster feel relevant, I think that as long as you give each point of view a fair consideration, it is still ok to make a judgement about which device, OS, etc. is best for whatever particular situation.

For example, at present for the nerd community, I feel that since ICS 4.0 Android is years ahead of Apple in terms of hardware, software and ecosystem and that Google's philosophical approach is vastly superior to their counterpart. For these reasons I have a hard time recommending Apple products to any nerds.

For the everyday average user, 99% of what they need their device to do will be performed flawlessly by an iPhone, a Razr, a Galaxy, a Nexus, etc, etc. For every day people, it's much easier to recommend Apple products because the end user experience is much more similar and subjective in their eyes, and it's just as much about image and design queues as functionality to them.

I don't consider myself Android biased, despite the fact I think they're leading currently. I personally dislike some of Apple's philosophy and practices, but that doesn't impact the quality of their tech, only my willingness to purchase it should they catch up in the quality of their tech.

Am I wrong? Is this a tainted paradigm or the result of critical observation? Do I make that call or does someone interpreting my post?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure it's biased to believe one is currently better than the other. For me neutrality is about understanding both sides, the pro's and con's of each, and being able to make a recommendation based on specs, software and ecosystem (total package user experience) as well as the philosophical differences between the approaches each company takes in interaction with their peers and their customers. Based on that, or whatever criteria the poster feel relevant, I think that as long as you give each point of view a fair consideration, it is still ok to make a judgement about which device, OS, etc. is best for whatever particular situation.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

For the everyday average user, 99% of what they need their device to do will be performed flawlessly by an iPhone [...]

I don't think that's necessarily true anymore. Granted, the average consumer is behind the capabilities of smartphone technology, but consumers are starting to recognize the alternate or more advanced features and functions offered by different platforms. The most significant example that comes to mind is multiple friends of mine ? all of whom would fit right in the center of the 'average consumer' category ? asking me about the ability to 'touch phones together' and share stuff. They were referencing Samsung's S Beam (based on Android Beam and NFC) that they saw in Samsung's TV commercials for the Galaxy S III.

Six months ago, I would wager that almost none of the average consumer group knew what NFC was. That's changing.

I don't consider myself Android biased, despite the fact I think they're leading currently. I personally dislike some of Apple's philosophy and practices, but that doesn't impact the quality of their tech, only my willingness to purchase it should they catch up in the quality of their tech.

Am I wrong? Is this a tainted paradigm or the result of critical observation? Do I make that call or does someone interpreting my post?

You're not wrong; I think that your statements are a good explanation of accurate critical observations. I consider myself educated yet impartial about mobile technology, and agree with a lot of what you've said.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I would come across as a Microsoft fanboy (MacBook Pro with Windows 8, desktop with Win8/Win7, Nokia Lumia 920, and Xbox 360), but I do also use other platforms (I used Mac OS again yesterday, and I also use an iPod Touch which is jailbroken, and a HTC Flyer, and am getting my 8520 fixed). Of course, I spend most of my time over on WPCentral, but you'll find fanboys and trolls everywhere. I see it all the time over at WPCentral. Unless you're a moderator/ambassador, you have to learn to just ignore them (okay, maybe pay enough attention to report them). As I'm an Ambassador, I have to keep a more keen eye out for those trolls though. But nowhere is truly unbiased, heck, I'll be the first to admit, I swing more towards Microsoft (and try to recommend as many people to the Windows Phones as possible, unless my understanding of them means it really will not suit them), so does that make me a fanboy?

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I just recently left the world of iOS to join up the the android folks and will say that I like the android better, but will not hate on the Apple universe.... Apple makes a great product but really didn't seem like any big advancements. I was bored with it so I moved on to other, greener pastures. My wife uses the iPhone 5 along with an iPad 3, I myself, since jumping ship have grown accustomed to android, so I have my trusty GS3 for a phone, Samsung Chromebook and my daughter has claimed my galaxy tablet opening the door for me to get either a Nexus 7 or 10.... So yeah, I would guess and say I'm neutral but lean more towards the android side.

Sent from my tin can with string attached

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I seriously am disgusted by the bias by so many members on here, for example they think its funny if apple hires ex google maps employees.WTF!?!? How is that funny it's just business. Next all of them sayer iPhone is ,have they actually used an Apple product before? Then they go on saying how you can't add more storage to the iPad or change anything about it WTF it's a tablet not a bloody desktop.

[Moderator edit.]

/end rant.

There are plenty of neutrals. But just like there are plenty who drink the Apple cool-aid there are just as many who drink the Google cool-aid. Don't let them get to you.

You get the same over at iMore. But I will say I think it's a little worse here and on WPC forms; IMHO.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
So when I'm listening to Sirius XM and checking facebook that's not multitasking? What about if I'm using Google Maps to navigate for a friend driving, while texting other friends, while check Yelp reviews.

Each of those scenarios are exactly the same whether I'm using my iPhone or Nexus 4. Maps or Audio in the background while I jump around to as many other apps as I want.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I must say after getting used to the nexus 4 its very difficult for me to want to reach for my iPhone. although I was not happy with my Nexus 10 and got an iPad 4 instead.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So when I'm listening to Sirius XM and checking facebook that's not multitasking? What about if I'm using Google Maps to navigate for a friend driving, while texting other friends, while check Yelp reviews.

Each of those scenarios are exactly the same whether I'm using my iPhone or Nexus 4. Maps or Audio in the background while I jump around to as many other apps as I want.

Those are exceptions. for example i'm in safari and I get a text and I press the banner it stops loading that page in safari and I have to reload.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Those are exceptions. for example i'm in safari and I get a text and I press the banner it stops loading that page in safari and I have to reload.

I'll admit I'm not as familiar with iOS development as I should be, but I know there are differences between what applications can do in the background. For example, iOS applications can play music in the background and save their state while switching between apps, but I believe there are somewhat significant limitations on how much an iOS application can do while not in the foreground or foreground stack.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll admit I'm not as familiar with iOS development as I should be, but I know there are differences between what applications can do in the background. For example, iOS applications can play music in the background and save their state while switching between apps, but I believe there are somewhat significant limitations on how much an iOS application can do while not in the foreground or foreground stack.
Compared to Android it is indeed limited but(speaking from iOS geek) the benefits of multitasking are good number one thing is battery life, thats why my iPhone can and normally does destroy my nexus 4 in terms of battery performance.

Also developers can take advantage of an API apple built in that allows the app from instead of immediately being paused it can be kept running in the backround for an extra 15 mins this allows apps like dropbox to complete photo uploads without significantly degrading battery.

RyanDodd

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
For me, I'd say they are both good platforms. As much as people try to compare them, it mostly isn't logical. iPhones have a different target audience than Androids do - iPhones are for people who want something with little setup and maintenance; Android is for tinkerers or those who are more familiar for technology. Personally, I have had both Android and iOS products and don't mind either.

My first smartphone was an iPhone 4 in February 2011 (Don't judge, lol. I haven't had as many smartphones for as long as you guys because I'm 14). I loved that phone at first, but after a few months, it was just "meh." I wanted more customization with a larger screen. After a ton of comparisons, I decided on the Samsung Infuse in July. I still regard that as the best phone I have had in terms of features. Near the end of the 30 day return period, the phone wouldn't turn on. I returned it and got the HTC Inspire. I had two days of being able to return it so I was basically stuck with it. I hated that phone. It was so sluggish and I had to deal with it for a year until I got my next phone - the iPhone 5. That was a wonderful phone. Fast, fluid, excellent camera, compatible with my iPad. As with my previous iPhone, it took a few months for me to want a bigger screen (even more so after my parents got Note IIs and Galaxy S3s) and more customization. I researched phones for a couple months and decided on the Nexus 4. Currently, I am typing this on my iPad. I traded my iPhone 5 in yesterday and bought an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4. I am very much looking forward to experiencing the phone. Until I get it (should be later this week), I will be phoneless.

Well, that's my story. Sorry for the ramble, I just wanted to share an experience with you guys. I am not biased toward Android, I just happen to like the customization and having devices to choose from. iPhones are great devices but after going back to Android from an iPhone twice, I can assume they aren't for me.

Sorry that this is off-topic, but do you guys get many people my age here? Just wondering how many tech-informed kids there are that around my age.

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
For me, I'd say they are both good platforms. As much as people try to compare them, it mostly isn't logical. iPhones have a different target audience than Androids do - iPhones are for people who want something with little setup and maintenance; Android is for tinkerers or those who are more familiar for technology. Personally, I have had both Android and iOS products and don't mind either.

My first smartphone was an iPhone 4 in February 2011 (Don't judge, lol. I haven't had as many smartphones for as long as you guys because I'm 14). I loved that phone at first, but after a few months, it was just "meh." I wanted more customization with a larger screen. After a ton of comparisons, I decided on the Samsung Infuse in July. I still regard that as the best phone I have had in terms of features. Near the end of the 30 day return period, the phone wouldn't turn on. I returned it and got the HTC Inspire. I had two days of being able to return it so I was basically stuck with it. I hated that phone. It was so sluggish and I had to deal with it for a year until I got my next phone - the iPhone 5. That was a wonderful phone. Fast, fluid, excellent camera, compatible with my iPad. As with my previous iPhone, it took a few months for me to want a bigger screen (even more so after my parents got Note IIs and Galaxy S3s) and more customization. I researched phones for a couple months and decided on the Nexus 4. Currently, I am typing this on my iPad. I traded my iPhone 5 in yesterday and bought an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4. I am very much looking forward to experiencing the phone. Until I get it (should be later this week), I will be phoneless.

Well, that's my story. Sorry for the ramble, I just wanted to share an experience with you guys. I am not biased toward Android, I just happen to like the customization and having devices to choose from. iPhones are great devices but after going back to Android from an iPhone twice, I can assume they aren't for me.

Sorry that this is off-topic, but do you guys get many people my age here? Just wondering how many tech-informed kids there are that around my age.

I don't understand the whole comparison of Ios to android. As far as I am concerned you have to do it on a device by device basis because....
Iphones cater to one crowd. People who buy flagship devices and want that sized screen. For someone who wants a bigger screen, there is no apple option. My point is, apple and android are very different, android is an all inclusive os on all different phones and devices. Apple is a niche market of 3 mobile devices at a time. 2 tablets and the iPhone. So comparing apple too android is like comparing a ford explorer to Chevrolet as a car company. The explorer (apple) could be perfectly good, but you can't compare that one thing to a whole manufacturer Chevrolet (android). That one SUV can't do everything that all of Chevys lineup van. Simple as that. Apple is simply different so comparing them is pointless unless you are doing it on a device by device basis.
Just my .02

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

RyanDodd

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I did not include specific devices because I was talking about Android as a whole and iOS as a whole. Not the specific capabilities of each device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87