Is it possible to quote from Play Books?

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just a wonder if it is possible to quote from Play Books on my Nexus 7, either via in app tools or copy and paste?

I've had a look in the app and cannot see anything that may let me, so it's thought I would ask.

Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't look like it. You can long-press and highlight text, as well as attach a note to the highlighted text, but I don't see an option to cut & paste. I imagine it has to do with copyright laws.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmm....I suspect you can't (I don't use Play Books as I stick to Kindle). I don't even think there's a way in the Kindle app. Books are copyrighted, so I suspect they've disabled the ability to copy and paste the text into other apps.

That's my speculation anyways. Oh wait...I just looked. That is the case (although publishers can choose to disable this:
https://support.google.com/books/partner/answer/170424?hl=en

Relevant text:
[INFO]Copy/paste and printing settings

Currently, Google Play treats the copy/paste and printing setting as disabled for all books. Google uses commercially reasonable efforts to disable these functions but cannot guarantee that its efforts will in every instance be effective.

Google may offer other copy/paste and print options for books on Google Play in the future. You can decide to change these settings by visiting your partner account.[/INFO]

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for the answers. On the Kindle app you can't either (you used to be able to on the old Kindle however), it's odd however on the Kindle app, if you highlight on a book bought via Amazon you highlights are automatically placed on a website (after sync) for you to copy and paste, however if you've bought the book whether you highlights aren't posted to the website. I'm guessing Amazon has placed in a copyright rule bender.

Again thank you for your quick answers.

Vil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress