Is this possible?

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys and gals.

So I just got my Moto X recently and I'm loving it. But I had a question for you guys. I'm on a contract right now and the Moto X is activated. I'm coming from an iPhone 5. My question is, can I activate my iPhone again to where I can use it? And can I get a Sim card for my X and use that as well? What I'm trying to do is pretty much make my iPhone my daily driver and the Moto X, I was thinking to root and mess around with. I want to learn more about rooting and things I can do with it, but also have a device that I can use without a problem. I'm also still having trouble with receiving texts from iPhone users. Maybe what I'm trying to do isn't possible because I'm on a contract, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
If both your iPhone and your Moto X uses SIM cards and can be unlocked, then yes you should be able to reactivate your iPhone through another carrier if you so wish. If both uses built-in SIM cards (since Sprint is CDMA) then you're stuck with Sprint.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If both your iPhone and your Moto X uses SIM cards and can be unlocked, then yes you should be able to reactivate your iPhone through another carrier if you so wish. If both uses built-in SIM cards (since Sprint is CDMA) then you're stuck with Sprint.

Ah, I am stuck with Sprint. Alright, thanks for the help!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since both are LTE devices, both will have a removable SIM. I know on a GSM network like AT&T or T-Mobile, all you have to do is swap the SIM from one phone to the other and you are done. However, the last time I was on Sprint was before they had LTE, so I do not know if swapping the SIM from one phone to the other will activate it or not. Pre-LTE, you had to activate the phone online or over the phone. Not as convienient as swapping a SIM, but it takes less than 5 minutes.

The biggest thing to know if you are planning on doing this is that if you leave iMessage enabled on your iPhone, you will have issues receiving texts from iPhone users while using the Moto X. This is because of how Apple's servers for iMessage behave. It can take up to 30 days for them to remove your phone number from their iMessage servers, and as long as your number is on that server, you will not be able to get texts from iPhone users because Apple will try to route it as an iMessage, which you obviously won't be able to access on the Moto X. A simple solution is to simply disable iMessage and delete your phone number from iMessage. It will still take up to 30 days for your number to be removed from their server, so receiving texts from iPhone users on the Moto X will be a pain, but at least you won't reinitiate the 30 day wait every time you use the iPhone if iMessage is disabled.