Can't shut off airplane mode in the morning...

lullemans72

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here, so I do hope I'm posting in the right section...If not, please let me know.

Before I start off with my main problem, here is some information about my current phone which might be useful:
I currently reside in Japan, where I recently switched phone companies, and with that, got myself a brand new LG22, a model which came out in the winter of 2013 (as opposed to an older model with android 2.3 I'd been using for about a year). Still quite new in other words. Currently, it seems to be running android 4.2.2.

Anyway, I've had the device for a little over a week now, and I've been noticing that EVERY morning when I wake up, there is no radio signal, and no 3G signal either.
I remember with my previous phone that the radio signal/3G would sometimes vanish for no reason, but as soon as I tried dialing a number, the radio signal came back, so it was no big deal. With my new phone, however, I also tried calling a number on my phone, but then a pop up shows up that says "to place a call, first turn off airplane mode".

I don't remember ever having turned on airplane mode in the first place, so I figure the phone must somehow have done it automatically when I went to sleep and didn't use my phone for a while. But when I actually go to the drop down toggle menu and press the airplane mode button (which is lit up in blue, but not in motion), it then says "airplane mode is ON. You will not be able to make or receive calls when in airplane mode". Huh? I thought airplane mode was already turned on? After pressing the airplane mode button, it is now flashing blue on and off while the little airplane logo moves from left to right. When I check the settings, airplane mode is indeed turned on.

The problem is that even as I try to turn OFF airplane mode, I still can't get any radio signal, nor 3G/LTE to work.

That is, until I reboot my phone, which I've had to do every day when I wake up since I've bought the phone. Once I do this, everything is back to normal. But it worries me because that means I basically can't receive ANY calls or messages unless I wake up and reboot my phone every single day.

Personally, I see no use to have this airplane mode function, so I'd like to completely rid myself of it (I have juice defender anyway, which I'm quite happy with), or at the very least not have to constantly reboot my phone every morning. Anyone else experienced this 'bug' before? Thanks.

P.S. I'm not particularly skilled with technology or anything, so I don't really plan on rooting my phone. I'd like to just keep things simple.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
It sounds like the modems are having a hard time shifting. Can you take it to your carrier to possibly have them look at it or exchange it?

lullemans72

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I did go to my carrier in the meantime, and first they checked my phone's IC card and said that unless there's a problem with that, it might be some of the apps I have running on the phone. The IC card turned out to be OK. The shop assistant then suggested that it may be due to juice defender, as they also had a different customer once who came in with the exact same problem. So for the time being I was asked to try going a few days without juice defender to see if that makes a difference. So I'll pretty much just have to wait and see for now.
Although if juice defender really is the culprit, I don't understand why works fine during the day and only begins to malfunction when I turn on my phone after I wake up the next day.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I did go to my carrier in the meantime, and first they checked my phone's IC card and said that unless there's a problem with that, it might be some of the apps I have running on the phone. The IC card turned out to be OK. The shop assistant then suggested that it may be due to juice defender, as they also had a different customer once who came in with the exact same problem. So for the time being I was asked to try going a few days without juice defender to see if that makes a difference. So I'll pretty much just have to wait and see for now.
Although if juice defender really is the culprit, I don't understand why works fine during the day and only begins to malfunction when I turn on my phone after I wake up the next day.

It may be a bug in the app related to prolonged deep sleep. Let us know how the next few days go.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

lullemans72

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
It may be a bug in the app related to prolonged deep sleep. Let us know how the next few days go.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Just to update on the situation: I deactivated juice defender before going to sleep last night and left the data transmission on. When I woke up this morning and checked, both radio signal and data transmission seemed alive and well. I guess the gentleman from the carrier was right in guessing that juice defender was to blame. I think from now on I'll still use JD during the day but leave it on inactive at night to prevent it from messing with airplane mode.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just to update on the situation: I deactivated juice defender before going to sleep last night and left the data transmission on. When I woke up this morning and checked, both radio signal and data transmission seemed alive and well. I guess the gentleman from the carrier was right in guessing that juice defender was to blame. I think from now on I'll still use JD during the day but leave it on inactive at night to prevent it from messing with airplane mode.

Strange that it would do that, but thanks for the follow up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699