Would Rooting and Removing Touchwiz Increase Performance on S5

michael632

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I haven't purchased the phone yet, but this summer my family and I are switching carriers and getting new phones. I plan on getting the Galaxy S5, and it seems awesome, but it annoys me that Touchwiz bogs the phone down and stops it from performing as well in daily use as other phones can due to their optimization (HTC One M8, iPhone 5S). My question here is, would rooting the phone and removing Touchwiz (if that's possible) stop the lag in daily activities (such as opening and closing apps)? Would there be any downsides?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~Michael632

jaredw444

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Rooting it self will not improve performance it only gives you permission to do stuff on your phone that you would normally not have. Such as being able to femove preinstalled apps and being able to govern your processor. That will improve performance(along with custom kernals and roms) but when removing any app like touchwiz or anything preinstalled you must see what else it will affect. If your going to remove apps 1st install a custom recovery and backup your whole phone. Then remove apps, if your phone goes screwy then you can just reflash your back up and be back to original.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using AC Forums mobile app

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
What feature of the GS5 makes it your must have device?

By just reading your post here it makes it seem that a bloat free phone is what you want the most. The GS5 would be last in line there. So I would recommend the Nexus 5 or Moto X personally for a bloat free experience.

-Beamed from my Moto X.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My question here is, would rooting the phone and removing Touchwiz (if that's possible) stop the lag in daily activities (such as opening and closing apps)? Would there be any downsides?

The more you rip out Touchwiz, the better the phone will perform. At this point, there is no sense arguing that Touchwiz DOESN'T clog up the S5's resources so much that there is a noticable performance hit.... that isn't to say that it's slow, but it'll be noticeably less peppy than an M8 or Nexus 5.

Before I had my Nexus 5, I had a SIII.... TW lasted all of about a week before I loaded an AOSP-based custom ROM. The difference was striking. It felt like I got a CPU and RAM upgrade.... everything was more responsive and hoping around different applications was a lot quicker and smoother.

But the problem is that you are pretty much stuck with what you pulled out of the box with an S5. Samsung got their panties in a twist and locked that phone down pretty tight. And If you're on Verizon, feel lucky they let you change the background. No ground up AOSP-based custom ROMs, nothing. I see a couple of ROMs kicking around, but they are still based off the stock TW image... and I don't know how much bloat they've pulled back. But the short AND long term development on the S5 looks pretty grim.... at least until a GPE edition is released (maybe).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Forcing GPU rendering will do wonders for that S3. Even an S3 polluted with Touchwiz.

It's in the developer options in settings. I tried this on my BF's S3 and it is awesome...way faster smoother experience.