Anyone ever have a problem with a phone gotten through Ebay/Swappa?

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Maybe not a physical problem, but a account one, phone turns out to be blacklisted, or something? I imagine something like that is pretty rare because you have Ebay/Paypal protection or the like?

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have sold four phones using eBay. One was an iPhone that was on a Verizon pay plan. I'm still paying Verizon. The payments aren't tied to any particular phone. Just the phone line or account. The iPhone that I sold is no longer tied to or associated with my number or account. Swappa is a little more strict with their policies. They won't allow people to sell phones that are on payment plans, even though the person can swap phones as much as they like as long as they keep making payments and don't cancel their service.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough, I'm just curious. One phone I like, the seller has a high rating, but only about 15 transactions on Swappa, but they're all highly rated. I guess I'm just being overly paranoid.

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
A friend had to return a phone she bought on Swappa. It was described in good condition, ended up being in the low fair range. But the seller didn't give her any hassle returning it.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Fair enough, I'm just curious. One phone I like, the seller has a high rating, but only about 15 transactions on Swappa, but they're all highly rated. I guess I'm just being overly paranoid.

You might be. I sold phones for the first time there, and both of my transactions went well. Feedback is everything.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought 1 phone on swappa. It was advertised as new and it was. One thing about swappa is that swappa, of course, can't physically inspect the devices so they're taking the word if the seller. If there's an issue, you've got to go through PayPal. With ebay, if there's an issue, they get immediately involved and if your item is a guaranteed ebay sale, you get your money back. Swappa doesn't help you.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I bought 1 phone on swappa. It was advertised as new and it was. One thing about swappa is that swappa, of course, can't physically inspect the devices so they're taking the word if the seller. If there's an issue, you've got to go through PayPal. With ebay, if there's an issue, they get immediately involved and if your item is a guaranteed ebay sale, you get your money back. Swappa doesn't help you.

Interesting, I thought that Swappa was great with the buyer, as long as you let them know that you need help.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Swappa will help, but if they fail, you loose. At least ebay will refund your money. Ive had to use the ebay guarantee a couple of times when i received products that were not as described and the seller wouldn't help. Ebay contacts the seller and if unsuccessful, refunds yoyr money.

Armand2REP

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Paypal allows an insane amount of days that you can file a buyer protection claim. It is actually a detriment to the seller when people are complaining about something 5 months later.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Paypal allows an insane amount of days that you can file a buyer protection claim. It is actually a detriment to the seller when people are complaining about something 5 months later.

I can't believe it works like that. No way 5 months! later, if so no one IMO would ever sell on swappa or ebay

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use swappa.com to sell and recently bought a phone from a reliable seller. It was pretty painless.

DankMemer

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I have bought several on Ebay because it's cheaper to import them than it is to buy them used here, crazy i know, the first time i bought one it had problems because the charge module didn't work, since then the only sellers i trust are the ones that state the smartphone has been tested and guarantee it's working.