How long does a non-removable battery last for (with daily charging)?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
In your opinion, how long do you think a non-removable battery in a phone would last for if the phone is to be charged every day? Thank you and appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have an M8 that is still holding up pretty well. My mom is currently using it, and hasn't commented about the battery life.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... that all depends... if you are the type to run the thing down till the phone shuts itself down, there's a good chance it'll be toast within the first year. If you don't, and avoid a lot of the pitfalls and bad habits like that, it should give you 2+ years' worth of use until it gets to the point where it starts to degrade and not be able to hold a full charge.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
if you are the type to run the thing down till the phone shuts itself down, there's a good chance it'll be toast within the first year.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Aside from excruciating circumstances, I try to plug in at 30-40% remaining.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've usually charged my batteries at the 40-50% point, and they're about 3 years old. (Except for the V551 battery - that's about 13 years old, but it's starting to not hold a complete 100% charge.)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So, if I don’t run my batteries down below, say 35%, I should get good life outta them? That sounds easy enough to do.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So, if I don’t run my batteries down below, say 35%, I should get good life outta them? That sounds easy enough to do.
That's a good start. You can go lower in a pinch, obviously. But if you don't make a habit of it, you'll do fine.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Like LeoRex said, it's a good start. Something I do is if it becomes apparent that I may be quite some time from being able to charge my phone, I start my own version of battery saver....I start entering Airplane mode and only turn it off if I really need to. I also stop using the device as much as possible. If I start to really question when it can be recharged, I turn it off.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Like LeoRex said, it's a good start. Something I do is if it becomes apparent that I may be quite some time from being able to charge my phone, I start my own version of battery saver....I start entering Airplane mode and only turn it off if I really need to. I also stop using the device as much as possible. If I start to really question when it can be recharged, I turn it off.
Thanks for that, I may try it.

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If I'm going to be away from a charger I put the phone in low power mode early. You'd be amazed how long it will last and how little you notice the difference.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
If I'm going to be away from a charger I put the phone in low power mode early. You'd be amazed how long it will last and how little you notice the difference.

That's exactly what I do (always have my Xperia Z2 in Stamina Mode), but thanks for the recommendation. As for low power mode, I only activate it when the battery is below 30% (and I almost never let it to fall below that percentage).

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
In your opinion, how long do you think a non-removable battery in a phone would last for if the phone is to be charged every day? Thank you and appreciated.

Well, I really believe the paradigm has shifted. With quick charge now available. It is making it so much easy and fast to get charged back up. Let me say that my Nexus 6, can easily last me all day, then with 30% left upon arriving home. I place it on the Qi Charger and within thirty minutes it's back to art least 80%.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I buy into the 'charge early, charge often' school of thought. Lithium batteries don't suffer from any sort of memory problems, so if there's a charger, I'll charge. No deep cycle discharges, etc.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My Moto E battery has dropped by about 10-20% after 2 yrs of use and almost daily charging. Always charge to 100% and put it on charge when its almost dead. No reason for phones to have non removable batteries even though it didn't turn out to be a big issue like i expected it to be.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Even if I had a phone with a removable battery, I would still take care of it properly... a few easy guidelines to follow and the cells will last as long as they should.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
This entire discussion is a major reason I refuse to even consider a device with a sealed/embedded battery. Instead with a user-replaceable one (ex. Note 4) I'm afforded the freedom to use and abuse its battery knowing I can easily replace it myself (already replaced two originals that have lost 20%+ capacity). Not to mention the freedom of never having to connect the device itself to some charging source waiting/hoping to pick up an acceptable charge level or worrying about whether I can make it to the end of the day. Instead I can have a conveniently portable spare that can get me back to an immediate 100% charge anytime I want. Priceless! :D

You're just doing yourself a disservice by following that rule, simply for the benefit of abusing your battery (which is not really necessary in 2016). To follow this rule, you are essentially cutting down your buying options by 75% (of flagships and most high-mid rangers). It's just not worth the trade-offs!

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Your're missing (or intentionally ignoring) my point then. Why bother with any of that when it's easily replaced especially when you can plan ahead and spread that wear and tear across as many spares as you want. In my case that's six spare batteries between two Note 4''s that will easily keep me going the next few years regardless how I choose to use and abuse those batteries. My only limitation is the availability of replacement batteries (OEM or third party!). :)

What wear and tear are you talking about? Unless you are literally using your phone in direct sunlight for 5 hours straight while on the charger, you're probably not going to be causing any wear and tear on the phone. Not enough to matter if you are replacing it after 1-2 years with something newer. Since the Note 4 is an expensive flagship, you cannot be doing this to save money (maybe you are?). So why stay with one model so long?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95