S24U wireless charging issues with vehicle

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

New here. Thought I'd inquire.

I just got an s24 ultra today and it will not charge wirelessly in my new Hyundai Kona N Line 2024. I've previously been using an S22 and it charged fine. No issues with the vehicle. The issue rests solely on the S24 ultra.

When it sits on the pad, the phone flashes the charging indicator (green circle with battery percentage), but then it goes away and what happens is at the bottom of the screen it flashes the words "Wirless Charging" along with the battery percentage, repeatedly. Flashes on and off. The wireless charging light on my vehicle does not turn on to indicate the charge is engaged.

If I wake up my screen while it's parked on the charge pad, I can see the battery life meter in the top corner flashes on and off with the lightning bolt charge indicator. It would appear that it's [trying] to charge but won't establish a consistent flow. It just cycles on and off non-stop. I've tried this with and without the case on with the same results.

While driving the screen wakes up on its own and the green charge circle flashes on and off repeatedly. Phone never settles on charging.

As far as im concerned im going to trash this phone because this is stupid and useless.

Thoughts on this ?
Is your phone in a case? Does the case have magsafe? Some cases for the S24 series have the magnets misaligned with the coil in the phone. If you're using a case try to charge using only the bare device.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone in a case? Does the case have magsafe? Some cases for the S24 series have the magnets misaligned with the coil in the phone. If you're using a case try to charge using only the bare device.
He said above it doesn't work with or without the case.

Reactions: mustang7757

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Reading this thread with great interest. I have the S24U and drive a 2023 Hyundai Venue. I realize it's a different vehicle, but the same manufacturer...so.
I just went out to my garage to test the wireless charging and it works just fine. I can place the phone in either direction (back down of course) and it starts charging immediately without issue. The phone states how long until a full charge, and the icon in the top right of the cars screen shows that it is charging.
The only thing I have not read from the OP is if he's using fast, or slow, wireless charging? I have fast charging turned OFF! YMMV
Just tried with fast charging turned OFF and the exact same issue persists. It's the phone not making proper contact in the coil alignment. There just isn't enough room where my cars charge pad is to engage properly.

I've drawn here on some photos where the coil would be on the S24U in relation to where the coils are on my car charge pad. You can see how they'd misalign. Such a gross oversight in both car and phone design. No matter the S24 ultras position on the pad, the bottom camera lens sits on the pad.

I'm beyond annoyed and getting rid of my s24 ultra. I see no point in keeping it if I have to wire it into my car when it does wireless android auto. Or buy some disgusting clunky third party charge pad. Fckn dumb as f.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting tips while we went on this journey together everyone. I'm ultimately resigning that this isn't the phone for me. Which is bs.

Attachments

• 20240215_101351.jpg
    20240215_101351.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240215_101250.jpg
    20240215_101250.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the automotive business I see lot of these charging pads come stock in vehicles and there either not made well or small space for bigger devices

Reactions: Laura Knotek

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
I'm in the automotive business I see lot of these charging pads come stock in vehicles and there either not made well or small space for bigger devices
That's so unfortunate. It doesn't even sound like I can go with the Plus model either. It's only .1" smaller. It's looking like the flat S24 maybe.

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Yeah :(
I personally wouldn't let my vehicles dictate what phone I want but if your ok with going down to the s24+ then do it .
It feels so silly to me to have wireless android auto and not be able to use the wireless charger. Having to add a cable to my car just feels dumb. I mean, I've definitely always had to do it in the past but it was an attractive feature that I no longer need to do that. Cables are just cumbersome and get in the way and tangle on sht, etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It feels so silly to me to have wireless android auto and not be able to use the wireless charger. Having to add a cable to my car just feels dumb. I mean, I've definitely always had to do it in the past but it was an attractive feature that I no longer need to do that. Cables are just cumbersome and get in the way and tangle on sht, etc.
For wireless Android Auto I use this from Motorola just plug into your USB slot and connect through Bluetooth

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's too bad that the car manufacturers are not/do not follow the phone dimensions to accomodate all phone sizes. My 2023 Venue does NOT have wireless Android Auto so even though the wireless pad works fine with the S24U I still have to use a cable if I choose to use Android Auto. Personally I think Android Auto is crappola and I either use Android Maps from the phone, or more often I just use the built in navigation system on the Venue which works great! So basically I have three different choices for navigation.
By the way, just yesterday I used a USB Flash Drive to update the entire Video Navigation System to the latest available firmware.
Maybe there's an update available for your car that could "possibly" help your situation?

{{SAMSUNG BAR Plus 256GB - 400MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive }}​

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
For wireless Android Auto I use this from Motorola just plug into your USB slot and connect through Bluetooth

My car engages wireless android auto on its own. No need for a dongle. Phone connects wirelessly to the instrument cluster. That's why it feels silly to me to then use a cable for charging when I've been using the wireless charge on my S22 all this time

TortiA

Feb 16, 2024
Visit site
Hi,

New here. Thought I'd inquire.

I just got an s24 ultra today and it will not charge wirelessly in my new Hyundai Kona N Line 2024. I've previously been using an S22 and it charged fine. No issues with the vehicle. The issue rests solely on the S24 ultra.

When it sits on the pad, the phone flashes the charging indicator (green circle with battery percentage), but then it goes away and what happens is at the bottom of the screen it flashes the words "Wirless Charging" along with the battery percentage, repeatedly. Flashes on and off. The wireless charging light on my vehicle does not turn on to indicate the charge is engaged.

If I wake up my screen while it's parked on the charge pad, I can see the battery life meter in the top corner flashes on and off with the lightning bolt charge indicator. It would appear that it's [trying] to charge but won't establish a consistent flow. It just cycles on and off non-stop. I've tried this with and without the case on with the same results.

While driving the screen wakes up on its own and the green charge circle flashes on and off repeatedly. Phone never settles on charging.

As far as im concerned im going to trash this phone because this is stupid and useless.

Thoughts on this ?
Hi,

I'm having a very similar problem with my Audi Q4. All other phones happily link up and charge wirelessly in it but my S24 Ultra ignores the charging pad. I have tried putting it in all ways round, case on and case off, but no reaction from the phone at all! I can use a wired connector fine - but that is just fiddly and not what I want to do.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Cheers,

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I'm having a very similar problem with my Audi Q4. All other phones happily link up and charge wirelessly in it but my S24 Ultra ignores the charging pad. I have tried putting it in all ways round, case on and case off, but no reaction from the phone at all! I can use a wired connector fine - but that is just fiddly and not what I want to do.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Cheers,
Welcome to AC!
How does your wireless pad look like?

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
How does your wireless pad look like?
**UPDATE**

I went out today to do some errands. Now when I place my phone on my car charge pad it behaves the way it should in that the charge circle flashes on once then the screen goes dark. Then nothing else. It doesnt spaz out over and over like it had been. However, the charge light on my car still doesn't come on and the phone is not charging if you wake it up to look.

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
**UPDATE**

I went out today to do some errands. Now when I place my phone on my car charge pad it behaves the way it should in that the charge circle flashes on once then the screen goes dark. Then nothing else. It doesnt spaz out over and over like it had been. However, the charge light on my car still doesn't come on and the phone is not charging if you wake it up to look.
I had one instance of placing my phone on the car charger pad then turning my vehicle on and the charging actually engaged, light came on as well. First try!

Sadly, it did not engage charging once replacing it on the pad.

This is so fckd

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Update

I haven't been able to test with other S24 Ultra but I did find an S23 Ultra to test with and it charged in my car 10/10 times without issue. It's basically the same spec as the 24U

matsars

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Update

I exchanged my s24ultra for another and the same issue happens. It won't charge wireless with my Hyundai Kona.

S23 ultra worked fine. All other lesser type phones work fine. Why won't the 24 ultra?

Last edited by a moderator: