Size. Matters.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
For me 5.2" is ideal!!! My Droid Turbo 2 -- at 5.4" is slightly too large for me.

I don't think it matters as much for women, as they carry purses. But for me, my DT2 is a little large for my front pants pocket. And I would also prefer a phone that fits in a standard sandwich size baggy as I spend a lot of times outdoors -- primarily cycling.

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
This is why I go to stores. I was certain the next time up I would want a big phone. I've been on iPhone and so have not had over 4.7 inches. Went to the Verizon store to check out the new Pixel. While I was there I laid hands on everything they had. Understand I'm a big guy, 6'3" with big hands and long fingers, so "too big for my hands" isn't a thing. Here's what I discovered. I loved the LG V10, but realized I was using it with two hands all the time. The Motos have been high on my list, but I HATED the hand feel! They were difficult to hold with too many sharp edges. The old Turbo 2 felt much better. The iPhone has the same too thin slippery feeling it has for years. The Pixels had the 3rd best hand feel to me. And it didn't matter which I held, both felt good. The Galaxy S7 Edge was second best. I would buy this phone for the right price. Best 5.5 incher as far as size and feel go. The Motos feel twice as big. The 5.3 inch LG G5 was the best for me. Its big enough, but not too big, feels good, and were I buying that day, I would have probably walked out with it.

My concern is that the Android standard is moving to 5.5 inch phones and not everybody will produce a phone as slim as the Edge. I would consider 5.5 my personal max and right now, would be unlikely to consider one other than the edge.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I prefer Note / Phablet sizes so anywhere from 5.5 to 5.8 is fine by me.

5.7" to 6" works for me. I would consider a 6.5" phone; I do not want to go back to 5.5" or less.
I like large phones a lot but I like to have at least one smaller device. I'd consider up to 6.5" as well as long as I have a 4-5.2" device when I want it. Right now my old 5s get dwarf duty and LG and Samsung are the main large gotos.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
This is why I go to stores. I was certain the next time up I would want a big phone. I've been on iPhone and so have not had over 4.7 inches. Went to the Verizon store to check out the new Pixel. While I was there I laid hands on everything they had. Understand I'm a big guy, 6'3" with big hands and long fingers, so "too big for my hands" isn't a thing. Here's what I discovered. I loved the LG V10, but realized I was using it with two hands all the time. The Motos have been high on my list, but I HATED the hand feel! They were difficult to hold with too many sharp edges. The old Turbo 2 felt much better. The iPhone has the same too thin slippery feeling it has for years. The Pixels had the 3rd best hand feel to me. And it didn't matter which I held, both felt good. The Galaxy S7 Edge was second best. I would buy this phone for the right price. Best 5.5 incher as far as size and feel go. The Motos feel twice as big. The 5.3 inch LG G5 was the best for me. Its big enough, but not too big, feels good, and were I buying that day, I would have probably walked out with it.

My concern is that the Android standard is moving to 5.5 inch phones and not everybody will produce a phone as slim as the Edge. I would consider 5.5 my personal max and right now, would be unlikely to consider one other than the edge.
I have the exact opposite problem you have, despite being much smaller than you. I find phones that are too thin and have glass backs too slippery. I could manage with a grippy case, but if I'm not using a case I find a thicker phone is easier to grasp.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
My concern is that the Android standard is moving to 5.5 inch phones and not everybody will produce a phone as slim as the Edge.
Actually, research by Samsung on the general market showed that the 5.0-5.2 is still the popular choice. I don't think that size is going anywhere.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Actually, research by Samsung on the general market showed that the 5.0-5.2 is still the popular choice. I don't think that size is going anywhere.

Apparently few manufacturers releasing phones in the U.S. believe this. As just about all phones these days are 5.5" or larger...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with you. Not all 5.2's are created equal that's for sure. Pocketability and one handed (comfortable) use are extremely important to me as well.

Just curious ... what 4.7 device are you using?

5.2" is a very good size, indeed. Good for one-handed use and it just felt better in the hand.

I feel like now that I am watching Netflix on my laptop as opposed to my phone, I will most likely purchase a smaller phone in the future.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have an LG G4 with a 5.5" screen. With the slightly curved back, it is by far the most comfortable phone to hold. As I get older, I'm only 39, I find it much easier on my eyes and not getting headaches, when the screen size is a tad bit bigger than average. I've used everything from a 3.5" screen on my first smartphone, the Motorola Citrus(total garbage), all the way up to an iPhone 6 plus and my G4. The 6 plus had huge bezels which made it seem bigger than it was. Also used the Note 5 for 4 days and it seemed smaller than it was for a 5.7" phone. Still wish I had kept that phone. I've picked up the S7 in stores and it seems like a toy coming from the G4. So I think 5.5 is really the sweet spot for me. As long as the bezels aren't huge. I also use a thin tpu case on my phone which gives me the right amount of grip and protects it from scratches all without adding any bulk to it. I also have the Supcase beetle case which looks amazing on this phone but it adds just a little too much to it to make it uncomfortable to hold.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Let's not forget that a big phone doesn't always mean a bigger screen. Note 5 vs iPhone 6 plus for example. The iPhone is a physically larger phone that carries a 5.5" screen, the Notes screen, however, is .2" longer at 5.7".

They can keep devices on the smaller side by using more real-estate on the front of the devices. The G5 with its large top and bottom bezels could probably be stretched to 5.7” of they desperately wanted to.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Apparently few manufacturers releasing phones in the U.S. believe this. As just about all phones these days are 5.5" or larger...

Ummm...What about the 5"Pixel? And not to mention Apple's 5c and 6 series? HTC 10 @ 5.2"? Samsung S7. There's a lot of phones there just off the top of my head.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an LG G4 with a 5.5" screen. With the slightly curved back, it is by far the most comfortable phone to hold. As I get older, I'm only 39, I find it much easier on my eyes and not getting headaches, when the screen size is a tad bit bigger than average. I've used everything from a 3.5" screen on my first smartphone, the Motorola Citrus(total garbage), all the way up to an iPhone 6 plus and my G4. The 6 plus had huge bezels which made it seem bigger than it was. Also used the Note 5 for 4 days and it seemed smaller than it was for a 5.7" phone. Still wish I had kept that phone. I've picked up the S7 in stores and it seems like a toy coming from the G4. So I think 5.5 is really the sweet spot for me. As long as the bezels aren't huge. I also use a thin tpu case on my phone which gives me the right amount of grip and protects it from scratches all without adding any bulk to it. I also have the Supcase beetle case which looks amazing on this phone but it adds just a little too much to it to make it uncomfortable to hold.

How is your G4 running? Do you use the leather case that was prompted alongside the device at its launch? It does seem like a very decent-sized device! I have the LG G3 so I guess it's the same size but it may be curved differently?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Let's not forget that a big phone doesn't always mean a bigger screen. Note 5 vs iPhone 6 plus for example. The iPhone is a physically larger phone that carries a 5.5" screen, the Notes screen, however, is .2" longer at 5.7".

They can keep devices on the smaller side by using more real-estate on the front of the devices. The G5 with its large top and bottom bezels could probably be stretched to 5.7” of they desperately wanted to.
This is so accurate. I had a Nextbit Robin and wow that device felt huge and my hand got fatigued with holding it after a while, even though it has a 5.2" screen.

The Nexus 5x just felt tall (which was annoying but still) and the Honor 8 feels great, no fatigue here when holding it for a while.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
5.7inch is my sweet spot, I went from a Galaxy S4 (5.0inch) to Galaxy Note 4 (5.7inch) 2years ago and have not looked back. I simply cannot go back to something smaller.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I can adjust to just about any size. It depends on what I want out of my device. For years I was in the bigger is better crowd. But lately I have been better served with slightly smaller smartphones.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I've just had another look at the XL and I could definitely live with it, and probably without as much discomfort or inconvenience as I had with my 6P, but when I can comfortably carry around my 5" Pixel and get 5 hours SoT I think why bother? I'm so impressed with this device. More everyday.

Master of Surgery

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
This is so accurate. I had a Nextbit Robin and wow that device felt huge and my hand got fatigued with holding it after a while, even though it has a 5.2" screen.

The Nexus 5x just felt tall (which was annoying but still) and the Honor 8 feels great, no fatigue here when holding it for a while.

Don't even get me started on how good Honor 8 feels in my hands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95