Is Chromecast worth getting if you don't have subscriptions?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi there.

I think the Chromecast will be releasing soon in Australia and I'm still tossing up whether it's worth the purchase.

Basically aside from a whole lot of services not being available here (such as Netflix, Hulu & HBO), I also don't have any video/tv subscriptions, nor have I purchased any on Google Play.

The only thing I really would think of doing would be to watch YouTube through it, which I already do with my smart TV. I'd like to think those services will be available when the Chromecast is released here, or at least have some other services for AU customers, but I'm not holding my breath.

So is there anything else that the Chromecast does, or would warrant the purchase?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not really - there's an app called photo cast, but your TV probably has a way of doing that. Things like Pandora will work and casting tabs from a desktop or ChromeOS Chrome browser would still work, so if you view content with those .... but yeah, without supported apps there's not a lot of use to it.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Not really - there's an app called photo cast, but your TV probably has a way of doing that. Things like Pandora will work and casting tabs from a desktop or ChromeOS Chrome browser would still work, so if you view content with those .... but yeah, without supported apps there's not a lot of use to it.

Hmm.

I don't listen to music through my TV, nor do I browse the web through my TV, or have any desire to.

I have a feeling the services here will be very anaemic, and the ones that would be offered get the patented AU markup which make them stupidly expensive. Looks like I'll have to give it a miss.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The only thing not discussed is the potential for locally owned content with something like plex or a Chrome plug in.

Posted via Android Central App

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Plex runs from a pc os of some sort.

So basically you load the plex media server on the pc. Point the server software to your content. Then use either the app on your phone, tablet or the Web page on a pc to cast it to the CC.

It can works great depending on a few things. Just remember the plex server may have to transcoding the content depending on a few factors. If transcoding is needed CPU performance can be a big factor.

You can also sync content if you have a plex pass which will allow you to take your content with you on your portable device where ever you go.

You can also use videostream chrome app to stream local content to the cc. It is easier to use since there is no need for the server app. Very simple and straight forward to use, but plex can do allot more if you desire.

You also don't need to wait for the CC to use plex. There is a good chance your smart tv or player has a plex app.what kind of tv do you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez