KneeDragr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED gets to be very difficult to manufacture at higher sizes and resolutions. Thats the reason for different technologies for tablets.

The new TVs that are coming out do not use the same AMOLED technology as phones. They are actually just white AMOLED, and have a LED filter over them to change the color to RGB. It will still produce the same super black levels and wont require a back light, but that filter adds thickness that isnt acceptable for a phone or tablet.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED gets to be very difficult to manufacture at higher sizes and resolutions. Thats the reason for different technologies for tablets.

The new TVs that are coming out do not use the same AMOLED technology as phones. They are actually just white AMOLED, and have a LED filter over them to change the color to RGB. It will still produce the same super black levels and wont require a back light, but that filter adds thickness that isnt acceptable for a phone or tablet.

Ok, thanks. I was guessing that it was a size issue.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My most common issues with AMOLED screens, especially on Samsung devices (TouchWiz), is that manufacturers tend to focus on high-contrast colours. This drives me mad, positively. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I like high contrast. Whats the point if the picture don't pop. Alot of that can be fixed with a simple samsung calibration. Samsung does calibration some of the time.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I like high contrast. Whats the point if the picture don't pop. Alot of that can be fixed with a simple samsung calibration. Samsung does calibration some of the time.

High contact aren't real colours. For somebody like me (artist/creative type), to see fake colours is infuriating. It becomes ridiculous how much Samsung (TouchWiz) and Apple raise the contrast. The Nexus 10 may seem washed out by some, but there aren't many pseudo colours that plague the display and is far vivid enough at the resolution and the full brightness.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well have u ever looked at a galaxy note 2 or s3? Your saying their screens suck cause they use a battery efficient bright screen technology with vibrant colors. All it needs to be done is calibrated. They are going to start in 2013 to address complaints in 2012.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Only galaxy tab 7.7 has AMOLED

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Hope Samsung starts pushing more out in 2013 tablets. Im sick of running a backlight in my screen no matter whats on the screen. Poor black and wasteful battery guzzler. Why do i need to run the same amount of power if there is nothing but a tiny logo appears on a black screen.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hope Samsung starts pushing more out in 2013 tablets. Im sick of running a backlight in my screen no matter whats on the screen. Poor black and wasteful battery guzzler. Why do i need to run the same amount of power if there is nothing but a tiny logo appears on a black screen.

They are still working on factories . The problem is that they can't just use old factories that produced led or lcd tech because OLED processing is so different. They started off with cell phone screens and have been slowly been ramoing up to bigger displays.

We have the Galaxy tab 7.7 in our display room its nice. I take it at night and watch netflix on it :)

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well have u ever looked at a galaxy note 2 or s3? Your saying their screens suck cause they use a battery efficient bright screen technology with vibrant colors. All it needs to be done is calibrated. They are going to start in 2013 to address complaints in 2012.

I never said they "sucked"; but, you won't find me using one frequently. I have both a S3 and a Note II. Their displays are great, yet the colours aren't what I would consider 'nice' - this is due to the high contrast. What would you consider the Nexus 10, then? You're using the adjective "vibrant" - in that case, any recent display has vibrant colours (if you use your tablet and/or smartphone at full brightness). Colours are bright and colourful, yes. This is why I keep pointing out the contrast of the colours.

Example of contrast. The internet is another place where new web designers tend to use high contrast colours in order to get your attention (for better or worse, usually the former). This is what I'm talking about. Collaboration won't change much, but I always keep my Samsung (aside from the Nexus 10) devices on lowest brightness to make them slightly more reasonable.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
They are still working on factories . The problem is that they can't just use old factories that produced led or lcd tech because OLED processing is so different. They started off with cell phone screens and have been slowly been ramoing up to bigger displays.

We have the Galaxy tab 7.7 in our display room its nice. I take it at night and watch netflix on it :)

I love watching movies at night on amoled. It is just drop dead beautiful.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Well considering they have been making phablets with amoled and a tablet and some flat screens, it shouldn't be to to far off. During CES they promised to make lcd mobile screens with 25% less power and i really hope they dont crap out and put that in a tablet because Amoled still uses less power than that due to the fact it can shut off each black pixel. Lcd will always require a constant back light even if its a completely black picture on the screen and quality lazyness leads to light bleed. And for those Tech nerds out there: We are talking about super Amoled HD plus. Its just alot of pointless typing so we shorten. Can't wait for for the Galaxy Note 10.1-2. I like this tablet but Im definitely going to sell My Nexus 10 for it. I like my Nexus 10 but its a battery guzzler and Graphics will feel outdated really soon. Since Samsung promised the same speed as Exynos 5 at half the power with its octo processor, better graphics, and a more efficient screen with S pen I'll have nothing to regret with my next purchase.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well considering they have been making phablets with amoled and a tablet and some flat screens, it shouldn't be to to far off. During CES they promised to make lcd mobile screens with 25% less power and i really hope they dont crap out and put that in a tablet because Amoled still uses less power than that due to the fact it can shut off each black pixel. Lcd will always require a constant back light even if its a completely black picture on the screen and quality lazyness leads to light bleed. And for those Tech nerds out there: We are talking about super Amoled HD plus. Its just alot of pointless typing so we shorten. Can't wait for for the Galaxy Note 10.1-2. I like this tablet but Im definitely going to sell My Nexus 10 for it. I like my Nexus 10 but its a battery guzzler and Graphics will feel outdated really soon. Since Samsung promised the same speed as Exynos 5 at half the power with its octo processor, better graphics, and a more efficient screen with S pen I'll have nothing to regret with my next purchase.

But that's all speculation right now. How do you know Samsung won't put another LCD screen inside the note 10.1? They may go higher resolution but it might be a pls display for all we know.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
But that's all speculation right now. How do you know Samsung won't put another LCD screen inside the note 10.1? They may go higher resolution but it might be a pls display for all we know.

Because samsung has demoed the flexible oled screens at CES with more commitment and has pushed for bigger and bigger Amoled screen sizes so when tech companies announce there next biggest future technology they usually will meet you half way without giving you the best. I see it like this in screen tech lcd at the bottom amoled in the middle, flexible oled at the top. So i figure they will meet us half way with amoled. Plus if its Amoled it will have no light bleed. No light bleed means no returns. No returns equal higher profits. Plus Samsung is king with Amoled and likes to try to be different from the lcd standard

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Because samsung has demoed the flexible oled screens at CES with more commitment and has pushed for bigger and bigger Amoled screen sizes so when tech companies announce there next biggest future technology they usually will meet you half way without giving you the best. I see it like this in screen tech lcd at the bottom amoled in the middle, flexible oled at the top. So i figure they will meet us half way with amoled. Plus if its Amoled it will have no light bleed. No light bleed means no returns. No returns equal higher profits. Plus Samsung is king with Amoled and likes to try to be different from the lcd standard

Flexible oled displays will not top samoled screens in terms of picture quality. Just because they've demoed this tech this year doesn't mean it'll show up anytime soon. This could be released next year for all we know possibly this Christmas. They said we would have 1080p displays at the begging of last year and they popped up at the end. I'm not saying it won't happen, just don't get your hopes up and then be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I believe samsung will come through. They'd do anything to one up their competitors and battery life is one of those things that will make them consider this, to kick apple off their thrown. Hope they stick a bigger battery in to. I don't know why people scream for thinner devices when it makes holding them during gaming feel weird. Feels like holding hard cardboard pressed against my hands. I want that psp rounds into your hands feel. Man I got so off topic.....

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Every generation of OLED technology is going to be more efficient powerwise. At the moment they are using fluorescent molecules to achieve their Green and Blue colors and phosphorescent for red. Phosphorescent is more power efficient but fluorescent lives longer. Next Gen of OLED screens will use phosphorescent Green and Red and fluorescent blue which will make it much more power efficient when they use all three colors phosphorescent you will see almost 75% more effecient display.

But here is the bigger problem ALL companies that we have dealt with dont see this as a longer battery life. All of them want to use the efficiency gain to add in bigger processers and such. they want to take that extra gain and redirect it into other areas of the device. So either way the consumer wont see longer battery life.

This is true since i dont think they are set up to build 10" OLED displays yet, like i said they are inching their way up

Plus Samsung is king with Amoled and likes to try to be different from the lcd standard
All companies even apple are looking into OLED tech. The only reason apple has not jumped in because the cost is to high when they can achieve the same success with LCD (for now)

LG is also looking to get into OLED but again the cost is high and they tried to use qHD screens to keep up while they try to catch up to Samsungs lead in the OLED dept. but ill tell you Sumsung is super aggressive in their OLED growth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez